Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: legit dove field questions only

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default legit dove field questions only

OK. So we did our best. We sprayed a pretty lethal pre-emergent mix and took care of a lot of the pigweed. As it stands, we missed some rows. Pretty easy to see. Picture 12 clean(ish) rows and then 4 that have pigweed as tall as the sunflowers all across the field. We planted a bit late, too, so we are just now ready for some field maintenance. We used clearfield in half and plain black oils in the other half. We did NOT spray POST emergent. Yes, I realize that mistake but we had a myriad of excuses. Too wet. Not wet enough. No time. Too much time. Tractor broke. Moon wasnt right. Too early. Too late. Blah blah blah Then, its mid august.

So, the flowers are made. The leaves are dropping. We need to make dirt. The pigweed continues to grow and is certainly creeping into all areas of the field. We toyed with the idea of a highboy and some gramaxone and just burn it to hell. We also considered just bushhogging the 4bad rows and using our regular sprayer to cover as much of the "good" rows as we can. We would still likley use gramaxone.

We have noticed in the past that roundup will not touch the pigweed.

I want/need a CLEAN dove field. What would you arm chair QBs do at this point?
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 08-07-2014 at 08:23 AM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Bushhog then disc.

Gramax. Hopefully it hasn't seeded out yet.

but how do i clean up the areas that I dont want to bushhog? I dont like cutting down my sunflowers if my field is CLEAN, But, it aint.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    but how do i clean up the areas that I dont want to bushhog? I dont like cutting down my sunflowers if my field is CLEAN, But, it aint.
    Let me hunt & I'll come help ya pull em.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Let me hunt & I'll come help ya pull em.
    This, I'll tote the back pack sprayer all day for a good dove shoot or two.

I got boots and travel.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 08-07-2014 at 09:06 AM.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

it has in the rows we missed with the pre-emerge.

follow up question: year after year, if we keep at it, will we one day have a better hold on the weeds, especially pigweed? Or are we re-germinating time and time again when we let the pigweed seed out? I have always been amazed at a cocklebur but this pigweed is something even MORE special.

it has in the rows we missed with the pre-emerge.

follow up question: year after year, if we keep at it, will we one day have a better hold on the weeds, especially pigweed? Or are we re-germinating time and time again when we let the pigweed seed out? .
    I see some good farmers dealing with pigweed by not planting anything and disking the field every 4 weeks. These are extremely infested fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Have you given any thought to rotating your dove field back to one of the other fields deeper in that doesn't have pig weed for a couple of seasons while you napalm the current one and get it under control?

I don't see a solution to your problem otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I see some good farmers dealing with pigweed by not planting anything and disking the field every 4 weeks. These are extremely infested fields.
    Ahem

Have you given any thought to rotating your dove field back to one of the other fields deeper in that doesn't have pig weed for a couple of seasons while you napalm the current one and get it under control?

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Messicans, a warm case of corona, and 4 hours. Your pigweed issues will be no more...

Let me know when they finish and I'll come inspect the field to make sure they did it right...I'm busy until dove season though.
    This first.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

These fellers are onto something.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Messicans, a warm case of corona, and 4 hours. Your pigweed issues will be no more...

Let me know when they finish and I'll come inspect the field to make sure they did it right...I'm busy until dove season though.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 08-07-2014 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post

This was my first thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

I don't know about these other clowns and their ideas, but I think you need to move your field to one of the fields further away that doesn't have pig weed for a year or two and disc/burn/spray the dogshit out of the current field until it's under control.

Don't cut them. Nuke them standing up, and then sit "guests" in the field. You shouldn't have to sit in the center of the field. Sit on the edge, near a pole, and just pretend there's no pigweed. Then if they complain, ask them if they can do better.

I'd go with the High Boy and Gramoxone this year, then consider a rotation and clean up starting in the spring. I dislike bushogging sunflowers.

Spray what ever you have on it and pay a "farmer" to plant it for you next year. That's all I got.
    I had an ant farm once......them fellas didn't grow shit.

I've always heard you have to disk the piss out of it to get that stuff out.
    Last edited by Drakey; 08-07-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Crew of Mexicans were doing a hell of a job getting weed out the cotton field the other day

Quote Originally Posted by loud1 View Post
    Crew of Mexicans were doing a hell of a job getting weed out the cotton field the other day
    See my post above. I wasn't being a smartass for once. Farmers around here use them all the time for pigweed issues. And from reading the news..finding a couple amigos shouldn't be an issue.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 08-07-2014 at 09:39 AM.