Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: pre workout breakfast

Default pre workout breakfast

my kids are playing football. they have 5hr practices it seems like every day. I dont know the best thing to get them in the mornings before they go. you can leave out the anti bread sentiment. I am just looking for the "right" foods to have pre-workout. I know they need some carbs and I also appreciate the way they will get their protein but I am looking for new ideas that a couple of 13yr olds boys getting their asses kicked playing with 10th graders might enjoy...

thanks
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

jwilliams is online now 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Toast with peanut Butter and Karo Syrup, 4 egg whites scrambled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Give them their sorry carbs in the afternoon. Good carbs and protein in the mornings in the form omelets with bacon/sausage/ham and all the vegetables they can tolerate.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Can NOT emphasize hydration enough.

Water water water, electrolyte mix, power bar.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    Toast with peanut Butter and Karo Syrup, 4 egg whites scrambled.

Egg whites??? This is football, not cheerleading ya pansy.

I am all about the water.

practice is at 7am. They get up at 530. Not a lot of time to eat a BIG breakfast.

I have done the eggs/bacon/sausage thing to death.

Also, I am not about to use a powdered product from GNC or anything like that. I am asking about actual food, not supplements.

I always liked something greasy... Hell, we puked most days anyway.. Might as well have some flavor...
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Half an avacado, egg, spinach, and peppers omelette.

Fruit ain't worth a shit before a workout. You burn through the sugar quickly and have nothing left in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    I always liked something greasy... Hell, we puked most days anyway.. Might as well have some flavor...
    that was my first thought but kids even get water breaks these days. Its weird, if you ask me...

And then hydrate some more.

For a practice that early you can pre-make individual breakfast casseroles in a muffin pan. Just keep them in the fridge and they can wake up, hydrate like a mofo and then pop as many o them as they need in the microwave.

Avoid the sugars (and yes, that includes bread) in the morning.

And make sure you pound it in their heads that they are badasses and are expected to perform accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    For a practice that early you can pre-make individual breakfast casseroles in a muffin pan. Just keep them in the fridge and they can wake up, hydrate like a mofo and then pop as many o them as they need in the microwave.
    I was reading through the responses with this reply in mind.

Piece of ham stuffed in each hole of a muffin tin. Crack an egg in each one. Season with whatever dry seasonings they like (personally, I like a little basil/oregano and S/P - maybe some Emeril's Essence). 350 in the oven 'til the eggs look done - probably 20min or so.

You've got a ready-made breakfast for the whole week for both boys in one tin's worth. Microwave at will.

Water.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

And then some more water.

And warrior movies.

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    When they go to bed at night they should piss clear, they should have to piss in the middle of the night because they are so hydrated. Avoid oranges but apples and banannas are good pre-practice fruits.

Gatoraide is worthless if you are not drinking H2O half the time. If I drink 32 ounces of fluid I want 16 of it in gatoraide.
    This right here is good advice. Hydration starts the night before, when you wake up and are not hydrated there is no way to catch up regardless of how much water you drink you will sweat out more than you can consume. With that said, I always drank at least one Gatorade at night, water hydrates but doesn't replenish the nutrients that you sweat out like a Gatorade. Pickle juice our a shot of vinegar at night will take care of the cramps. For breakfast, try a couple of eggs, a slice of whole wheat bread, some nuts (almonds are great), and a piece of fruit. I'm not a doctor, but have found through trial and error that this works best for me so take it for what it's worth.

Pedialite is your friend during football two a days, and hangovers after the age of 30.

They make Pedialite in little packets now that you can dump in a water bottle. It's a great way to get extra electrolytes without all the sugar and bullshit that is in the sports drinks. I used to drink half a bottle of Pedialite before long runs in July and August. It saved me many times...

Toast, grits, hashbrowns, bananas, may be one egg for the protein. I tell my players to stick with the carbs that are easy on the stomach in the morning. They'll burn that and be ready to chow down the rest of the day. Can't drink enough water. It used to be kinda cool to puke every morning. Nowadays we try to avoid it cause it messes their stomachs up for the next few days it begins a bad cycle. The biggest difference today is the work we put in is tenfold compared to what we used to do in the summers. Most of my guys are in great shape due to the passing leagues and lineman challenges all summer. The level of nutrition is much better now also.

We had salt pills...

I guess that protocol is no longer medically sound??
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

No more leather helmets either

Actually salt pills are not out, they just get it in the form of sports drinks, they are loaded with sodium. I know of a player with BP issues that has to drink water to keep his BP in line, no Gatorade for him.