Thread: Replacing tractor PTO seal?

Default Replacing tractor PTO seal?

Anybody ever replace a PTO seal on a Ford 2000 or 3000 diesel tractor? Can it be done without specialized tools and equipment? Any helpful sites on the internet?

Thanks!
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

Not sure, but I think you will have to split the tractor. Not a job for an amateur. What is wrong?
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Not sure about that tractor, but on a deere or kubota you unbolt the pto cover remove the whole pto unit. Take it apart which is usually just bearing and snap rings. Put it back together with new bearing, seal and snap rings, slide back in and bolt cover back on. If it has shims make sure you put them back in the correct places. That is if you are talking about the output shaft seal??
    Last edited by PP&WS; 08-04-2014 at 08:11 AM.

You will need a press to press the bearing off the shaft. Had to change mine on a for 3400 which is almost identical to a 3000. Took about an hr.

It's leaking hydraulic fluid at the PTO output shaft. I'm assuming there's a set of bearings and a seal in there that could be replaced and the shaft re-installed.
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

how much?

you need to decide which is a bigger deal. replacing the shaft or topping off the hydraulic fluid.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    how much?

you need to decide which is a bigger deal. replacing the shaft or topping off the hydraulic fluid.
    I think replacing the seal always wins. Putting hydraulic oil in the dirt is usually a high expense when it all gets added up.

Quote Originally Posted by camotoon60 View Post
    You will need a press to press the bearing off the shaft. Had to change mine on a for 3400 which is almost identical to a 3000. Took about an hr.
    A press would be best but he should be able to do it by tapping it off with a hammer and punch.

point nose of tractor down hill. Drain the oil from the rear center bottom plug. remove the four bolts attaching the PTO housing to the center housing. Carefully slide the shaft and housing from the tractor. The gasket between the pto housing and center housing will most likely tear and need to be replaced. Next turn the pto shaft long end up remove the snap ring that holds the shaft and bearing into the housing. Next either use a press if you have one or lightly tap the housing off of the bearing. Next find a driver or socket that fits the shoulder of the seal and drive the seal from the out side of the housing to the inside. The housing has a shoulder that the seal seats against so it cannot be driven from inside out. Take new seal and pack the lip with grease. Use a driver or socket the same size as the outside of the seal. drive the new seal into the housing until it seat against the shoulder. Make sure the the lip of the seal is facing the inside of the housing. If not you get to do it over again as the seal will leak. Once the seal is in place next inspect the PTO shaft were the lip of the seal ride. if it is groved you wil need a speedy sleeve to go over that. if it is scratched smooth out the scratches with emery cloth. once the shaft is clean Pack the bearing with grease and lightly coat the seal area with grease. Now assemble shaft and bearing into housing. Use a gasket glue to hold new gasket onto the housing. Now slide the PTO shaft and housing back into the tractor lining up the four botl holes. tight the four bolts. Add multipurpose tractor oil about four gallons. than move tractor to a level area and check the fluid level add fluid as needed to get to full mark.