Thread: Longleaf Pines

Default Longleaf Pines

I planted a small field in longleaf pines this winter gone and it has been overtaken by grass. Is there anything I can spray that will be safe for the seedlings?

http://www.forestry.alabama.gov/PDFs...o_Longleaf.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Don't spray it. Burn it.

so the bermuda coming back up wont effect the seedlings? When is the best time to burn?

November-March

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p2262.pdf

I would think your trees are too young for a prescribed burn...

Loblolly yes...Longleaf no....I personally burned a small stand that had year old trees in it this past burning season...

As long as they are in the grass stage, burn it.

Do not worry about the grass unless it is bermuda.I planted one more small field a few years ago and it had 6 foot dog fennel and you name it.I had no hope that I would ever see anything out of it.They hung in there somehow.I walked out there a few winters ago and there they were! 8 footers now.They will survive

Bermuda must be controlled prior to planting.
    You cannot run high enough rates of imazapyr across the LL without significant damage or total failure.
    A lot of people do not plan before they plant trees and just expect them to grow....not the case!
    Some will be fine, some will get choked out....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I've heard of folks covering each tree with a 5 gallon bucket and spraying around them with a backpack sprayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I've heard of folks covering each tree with a 5 gallon bucket and spraying around them with a backpack sprayer.

If it wasn't to big of a stand I'm sure you could zip tie plastic bags around them and spray...

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    You cannot run high enough rates of imazapyr across the LL without significant damage or total failure.
    A lot of people do not plan before they plant trees and just expect them to grow....not the case!
    Couldn't he use sethoxydim(Poast) without damaging the trees?

I would mix some up and do a test on 5 trees to see.

Here is a recent publication on LL and herbicides.
    There are some options for bermuda control but you will not eradicate it.....

http://www.bugwood.org/HWC_longleaf_March_2012.pdf
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Run a cool fire thru it every winter on a cold day.

Longleaf are very susceptible to chemicals just be sure you know what you are doing if you spray them.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    This^^^^

If you skimp on site-prep with Longleaf Pine it will come back to haunt you, especially planting in a field. Yes, you can burn it to release the trees, but you are also going to release the grass with a burn.
    TFC -"Be tough, or get tough!"