Thread: "Heel" command

Default "Heel" command

Is there a particular side you prefer your dog to heel? If so what is the reasoning? Is it based on righty-lefty shooter or just no reason?
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs

I'm right handed I prefer for mine to heel on the left one reason the shell ejects out the right side won't have shells flying all in my dogs face distracting his add ass and also the muzzle blast isn't directly over him unless I follow a bird over his head of course.

I'm right handed. My first dog, I didn't know any better and just taught her to heel on my left, that's fine normally but I could type for 30 minutes on the advantages of having a dog that heels on either side. Trust me, two sided heeling is the ONLY way to go. It's no harder to teach than one sided and it's so nice to have the option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I used the left side for my last 2 dogs but from here on out, it will be double sided heel. Not just in testing but many hunting situations could have benefited from it.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

Heel is on the left...shell ejection mostly for the reason....also, thats where the best trainer in the world I ever met told me to put her. ....When training, we put a mat from the back seat floor of a truck down and made that little mat "heel"....it was up to me to make sure that was the right place. If for some reason I need her on my right I can use a here command with a hand signal.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

I did'nt teach my dog one side or the other but i always patted my leg when i side heel and she will basically heel too either side that i pat my leg.

I teach both rt and lt heel. In hunting situations you can not always have the dog on your left side. Better to teach both and not need it than to be in a situation that your dog is not prepaired for.

The rationale I was told for left side heeling is that a pedestrian is supposed to walk on the left side of the road facing oncoming traffic (unless you're in a foreign country) and if you're walking a dog, you want him off the road. In a shooting situation, I prefer my dog on the inside of my shooting stance, i.e. right side for righty shooters.

I have three dogs that I often need to walk together. They have had to learn to heel on which ever side I tell them.

I've always taught mine to heel on the left because I shoot right handed, but, trust me, Feet is right on the 2 sided heeling. There are going to be some hunting situations where it is impossible to heel on one side or the other. Therefore, Gumbo is a 2 sided heeler.
    Professor
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)

Go with the 2 sided. Easy to teach.
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    yea it just makes things a lot easier. I simply point to the side I want my dog on. If you introduce the command and the motion at the same time it should be like second nature to the dog.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Boff sides furr ole Jo-Jo.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Both sides
    She was long and lean every young mans dream