Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lifting Shoes

Klokov would not agree...

I'm pretty sure his entire posterior chain is loaded like a mofo.
    Last edited by Glenn; 07-10-2014 at 08:49 AM.

Glenn can you elaborate?
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Professional lifters, those who compete on a world wide stage, wear lifters.

Their purpose is to sit you back on your heels so you can engage your hamstrings, glutes and lower back to open your hips verses being on the balls of your feet and quad dominant.

I don't know a single competitive lifter who lifts in low profile/minimalist shoes.

When I want someone who has trouble staying on their heels in a squat to FEEL their hamstrings for the first time in their life I put their heels on 10 lb plates and have them squat. All of a sudden their chest is up, their knees are out and as they drive up from the bottom I have them squeeze their ass like they are trying to keep the doctors finger out of there. All of a sudden the look on their face is like "Holy Cow!" when they feel their butt engage and their hamstrings load.

Lifters will keep you off of your toes. Period. And it isn't just a mobility issue. Competitive lifters don't have mobility issues.

And to be clear, there is a difference between power lifting and oly lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Professional lifters, those who compete on a world wide stage, wear lifters.

Their purpose is to sit you back on your heels so you can engage your hamstrings, glutes and lower back to open your hips verses being on the balls of your feet and quad dominant.

I don't know a single competitive lifter who lifts in low profile/minimalist shoes.

When I want someone who has trouble staying on their heels in a squat to FEEL their hamstrings for the first time in their life I put their heels on 10 lb plates and have them squat. All of a sudden their chest is up, their knees are out and as they drive up from the bottom I have them squeeze their ass like they are trying to keep the doctors finger out of there. All of a sudden the look on their face is like "Holy Cow!" when they feel their butt engage and their hamstrings load.

Lifters will keep you off of your toes. Period. And it isn't just a mobility issue. Competitive lifters don't have mobility issues.

And to be clear, there is a difference between power lifting and oly lifting.
    Very well said. That 3/4" doesn't change your shin angle or range of motion enough to outweigh the muscle recruitment that lifters help to encourage.

Thanks, Glenn. That makes sense. I've just always heard it explained both ways.

Might try the lifters out with DL and see if there is a difference.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

If you are looking for lifting shoes look at risto sports. I spent 20+ years lifting in Adidas shoes and switched to Risto about 4 years ago. I wish I had switched 20 yrs ago.

I see you're in Camden. If you ever make it up towards Fort Mill, make a point to drop by Muscle Driver's headquarters (just off of 77). You can try on a number of different shoes. I bought a pair of Rogue Do-Wins for $30 from their scratch & dent room. Someone ordered the wrong size and returned them. Great shoes. They have great deals on equipment in that room at times.