Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pad hull flats boat

a flats boat without a platform is pointless..

"Right..... cause god knows you can't catch a fucking marsh carp without a polling platform. Sorry but I'm not polling a 20' boat. A casting platform does damn near the same thing. This is Charleston not Florida.".....you could not be more wrong

And here we go....

My point was that you give up a lot in a flats boat. They are single purpose built and not ideal for most other types of fishing. If you're not going to pole the flats and sight fish, there are much more versatile and comfortable fishing boats that your kids won't fall out of. Most flats boats will pound you in chop. They often steer like a sheet of plywood and you have to be vigilant to keep shit from falling off the deck. They are usually a wetter ride in any kind of quartering chop. On the SC coast, most of our shallow water is in easy range of a channel or creek. You don't need a boat that will float on a heavy dew to get to where the fish are. Tailing fish in the grass are more fun to catch while wading. If we had large expansive flats and a tide swing of only a couple feet like you have in the Keys or near Galveston, a real flats boat might be a real advantage but here, you can get to the fish and catch all you want in a john boat or bay boat and still have a better boat for near shore and family stuff.

It surprises me that flats boats hulls are good for speed. Mine only runs in the upper 30's and feels like it would chine walk going much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by purps View Post
    a flats boat without a platform is pointless..

"Right..... cause god knows you can't catch a fucking marsh carp without a polling platform. Sorry but I'm not polling a 20' boat. A casting platform does damn near the same thing. This is Charleston not Florida.".....you could not be more wrong
    Please enlighten me on why I need a platform to catch a bass? If i really get an urge to catch one in the grass I have access to plenty of platform equipped boats that will pole a lot easier than a 20' boat. Fact Of the matter is 95% of the fishing I do is done with the trolling motor down. Sorry to disappoint the buff wearing die hard guys that only fish tailing fish but that is not the most productive fishing to be had in this area. Show me a comparable sized, better riding boat of any style that will run in 65-70 loaded and has the same amount of storage and deck space as mine and I promise you I will go buy it. Pretty sure both Capt Tom and Wetreed will both attest to oh well setup and efficient this fishing platform is even without a polling platform.
    And I stand behind my statement that this is Charleston and not Florida or the Texas gulf coast like PB said.
    I'd also like to add that if you do not have the testicular fortitude to go 60 in a flats boat then I don't value your opinion on anything in life, lest of all boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    My point was that you give up a lot in a flats boat. They are single purpose built and not ideal for most other types of fishing. If you're not going to pole the flats and sight fish, there are much more versatile and comfortable fishing boats that your kids won't fall out of. Most flats boats will pound you in chop. They often steer like a sheet of plywood and you have to be vigilant to keep shit from falling off the deck. They are usually a wetter ride in any kind of quartering chop. On the SC coast, most of our shallow water is in easy range of a channel or creek. You don't need a boat that will float on a heavy dew to get to where the fish are. Tailing fish in the grass are more fun to catch while wading. If we had large expansive flats and a tide swing of only a couple feet like you have in the Keys or near Galveston, a real flats boat might be a real advantage but here, you can get to the fish and catch all you want in a john boat or bay boat and still have a better boat for near shore and family stuff.

It surprises me that flats boats hulls are good for speed. Mine only runs in the upper 30's and feels like it would chine walk going much faster.
    I think you and I are on the same page here but for me and how I choose to fish the extra deck space and the speed are worth it. I Would much rather walk the flats than pole and if a Client doesn't want to walk then we will simply take a smaller boat with a platform but not by my choosing.
    Last edited by Griffin; 07-01-2014 at 10:03 AM.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post

I suspect that is because of the low draft weight distribution. For speed, the front has to get up and out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    First off speed costs money. Doesn't mater what you pay out the gate it's going to cost long run. Spend the money and buy a lake and bay or back country. (BC and L&B backwater are the same boat) BC rides A LOT better in chop and has a WAY better cap for fishing. L&B will be faster. Mine runs mid 60s tournament loaded. It has taken a lot of work to get were it is speed wise. I've never run it stripped down and never will. The ranger cayman 19 will not do mid 60s loaded unless you over power it.
    Here is the boat

It will but that boat is stripped down. One battery, no trolling motor and a modded V-max
    because we have balls unlike yourself
    Tournament loaded? Thats rich. What is the difference between a tournament load and a normal fishing load "brah"?

He fishes the redfish tour so I'm sure an ass of tackle and full livewells.

Poling platforms are necessary for yeti display.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I can attest to that some yeti douche had his up there all week in north inlet.

I miss my slow ass Redfisher 16.

I'll sell you a slow ass back country 16 lol

Why y'all boys scared of chine walking?
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

Nothing like a "tour" to turn something simple into circus full of clowns.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by B.Miller View Post
    Why y'all boys scared of chine walking?
    I do it every time I take my boat out

Quote Originally Posted by mearle4 View Post
    I do it every time I take my boat out
    Exactly.
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

Quote Originally Posted by WetReed View Post
    I can attest to that some yeti douche had his up there all week in north inlet.
    Was it a Yellowfin flats boat? I will bet a weeks paycheck that guy will out fish anyone on this site in North Inlet. He keeps his cooler there because he doesn't use the platform. He doesn't pole the boat and it keeps it off the deck and out of the way. He got the boat because it will go places in creeks that others won't. I fish with the guy. 50+ fish days are the norm fishing with him.

Sorry for the highjack. I came to this thread for a reason.

http://www.atlanticcoastmarine.com/b...69-ghost#item5

It's in Jacksonville.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoker View Post
    Was it a Yellowfin flats boat? I will bet a weeks paycheck that guy will out fish anyone on this site in North Inlet. He keeps his cooler there because he doesn't use the platform. He doesn't pole the boat and it keeps it off the deck and out of the way. He got the boat because it will go places in creeks that others won't. I fish with the guy. 50+ fish days are the norm fishing with him.
    No it wasn't but thanks for proving mine and Griffin's point about having poling platforms to catch fish.

First off I'm not starting a typical pissing match so don't take this the wrong way.

Just so you know he's not the only one that has 50 fish days... Just because he has prolly twice the age on me doesn't prove shit. I'm only 25 and catch prolly ten times the amount of fish people twice as old as me do and I learn something new everyday.

Oh and I taught myself everything I know... Maybe one day I'll have a yellowfin flats boat and more money than god to show off with... Not!

Point is you don't need a sick rad boat to catch fish... You have to know the area...

Quote Originally Posted by WetReed View Post
    No it wasn't but thanks for proving mine and Griffin's point about having poling platforms to catch fish.

First off I'm not starting a typical pissing match so don't take this the wrong way.

Just so you know he's not the only one that has 50 fish days... Just because he has prolly twice the age on me doesn't prove shit. I'm only 25 and catch prolly ten times the amount of fish people twice as old as me do and I learn something new everyday.

Oh and I taught myself everything I know... Maybe one day I'll have a yellowfin flats boat and more money than god to show off with... Not!

Point is you don't need a sick rad boat to catch fish... You have to know the area...

He is self taught to my man and has only been at it the last 5 or 6 years. He's 36 That's all he does is fish and work. Doesn't have more money than the next guy. Found a good deal on a boat that will do what most others won't. You're right, you don't need a nice boat to catch fish, but when you go as much as him you need something that is quality and will last.

Keep up what you're doing. I like to know that there are still kids out there that are doing what you do.