Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gator boats duckhunter

Let the man be. He's building a boat. So what if he screws it up. Try it again until you get it right. Give it hell Colin. I respect ya. I don't have the patience to build the boat even after I paid for the plans.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

If that plywood is what I think it is, wetting it, will ruin it. (water farks up the glue and the plys will separate).

The Corley guy sells the plans here in Columbia.

Brad of Toller boatworks is the guy that's sick of getting emails about the Corley guy's boats.

Just keeping us on the same plane.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I've never done a woodworking project before, but after reading the reviews I assumed anyone with hands could do it. Sorry that I'm turning to the only knowledgeable people I know at the moment. Thanks big brother, it's exterior grade b/c if that makes any difference. ill stick with the weights and time at the moment to see. Otherwise I'm hoping the sides will pull it down with enough screws.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

And steelin ducks, fuck off

I hate Brad couldn't help you out, last I'd heard he was the modernazi for the Gator Boats forum. Looks like calling Gator Boats out on here worked tho, glad Henry got you your plans.

If you're using 1/2" exterior plywood and have difficulty bending it set up a 30 qt. pot on a burner and steam it from underneath the boat and weight it topside with 5 gallon buckets of water. FYI, B/C grade wood has voids, if you saturate this wood and don't completely dry it out before you cover with epoxy or polyester resin any moisture on the inside of those voids can be catastrophic which will cause rot and de-lamination.

Looking forward to seeing your build. Good luck.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    r. FYI, B/C grade wood has voids, if you saturate this wood and don't completely dry it out before you cover with epoxy or polyester resin any moisture on the inside of those voids can be catastrophic which will cause rot and de-lamination.

Looking forward to seeing your build. Good luck.
    This is key info. If you remember nothing else throughout this build remember this.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

I'm opting to not wet it. Besides the humidity I shouldn't have to worry about moisture. I'm hoping that with the braces and chines on the side it will hold it to the shape I want. I'm Modifying the plans a little by taking out the back rocker angel to hopefully get it to plane out better and not porpoise. The area I'm going to be using it it covered in Lily pads and Mud but the only things I have to worry about hitting are old submerged blinds left to rot. I'm toying with the idea of a true flat bottom and not going with keels. Any input on that? I mean geenoes and kayaks do without them. I won't be running areas with much chop but any input is appreciated

Gheenoes and kayaks have rounded chines, aka sides and help track better.

What size motor are you planning on running?

Square or hard chine boats will slide horribly in a turn, especially without a keel or runners. I built mine to do exactly that and I love it but I've lost control several times this past duck season and slid off out of control into the marsh too. I'll take the bad with the good in terms of what I can do with it tho. I sort of modified the "Big Mama" plan by Gator Boats and added a 20 inch hunt deck to help it draft even shallower.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Well the lakes I'm going to hunt have motor restrictions so a ten horse mud motor and possibly a 25 horse for the off season. Or a twenty horse mud motor. I don't think I'm worried about sliding much because I don't think my speed will be very much

Starting to make some progress. As my first boat I'm spending more time thinking and reading than working but i still plan on having it finished by duck season

Looks good so far, I have the plans somewhere and may someday get around to building it. We started it one year we were at Clemson, but got busy with school and never finished it so it rotted unfortunately.

Keep up the good work.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Well due to some unexpected financial burdens I doubt I'll have this boat done by next month. Almost all the framing is done. The only things left are the topsides and the hatch doors. Then it gets flipped, fiberglased and painted.

I do have a few questions if anyone has some input. As far as motors go I was thinking a ten horsepower mud motor for the season due to motor restrictions. Surface drive probably because of all the weeds and shallow water I'll be hunting and the speed will be a bonus. Any input?

Next are the hatch doors. Anyone have any recommendations on hinges and latches? Maybe just one hatch on the front and open in the back? I've got it wired for lights and a 12 volt outlet.

Any input on interior lights? I was thinking the weatherproof cord lighting.

Any ideas or input will be appreciated.

Get some led interior lights, a ten horse will be a little pokey. With my 25 loaded to hunt by myself I see about 24mph

I don't know if it's much help or not but I think a 10hp is going to be too small to push your boat very well. I've got a 4 rivers and it's really lite but the 6hp Beavertail struggles to push it. Average is 7 mph, up or down one depending on current flow.

Might also want to know Beavertail got bought out by a conglomerate a few years back and their customer service took a big hit. Maybe it's gotten better but after my last experience I won't call em back.

I was leaning more towards a dixie. The boat really isn't that heavy yet. Probably about 150 and it is a flat bottom. Plus the closest places to hunt are 10hp and under lakes. I don't need to go fast really just be able to make it though a ton of weeds

Your boat looks GREAT and you're getting close to being done! I hate to hear you have to restrict that boat to 10 hp. I hear Dixie mud motors are real heavy. Copperhead mud motors are lighter, I hear good reviews and great customer service. I'd get the biggest motor I would dare run in your restricted area and slap a 10 hp sticker on her.....but's that's just what I'd do.

LED's for interior lighting.

I realize this is an old thread. I was wondering if anyone had plans to the Duck Hunter boat from Gator Boats. It looks like they are out of business.

I never did end up finishing the boat. It got put on the back burner before fiberglass. I believe I still have the plans around somewhere.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I would love to get a copy if you find them. My dad built several boats when I was a kid. I would like to give it a go and build one with my kids. It would be awesome to take my son hunting in a boat we built together. I'm happy to pay for a copy.
    Thanks for your help.