Thread: Jap Millet and duck pond quesitons..

Default Jap Millet and duck pond quesitons..

We have a food plot on our new lease that floods and has a dam on it, that is blown out. We are going to try to dam the area back up, and install PVC pipes through it, with an elbow on infeed side to adjust water levels as needed. The food plot itself is est. 200 yards long, and about 100 yards wide. It is fairly dry right now, and will get dryer as the drought months come along. But, when the area is in a steep bottom, and has a creek that backs up and floods through the entire plot. From about November to March, it pretty much had a steady flow of water through it, so I really dont feel having water will be an issue this upcoming year.

My questions;
    1. We are not going to plant the entire thing in Jap due to cost, and we would like to plant a patch in the head of it for some deer food. So, how much Jap millet would it take to plant say... 150 yards long x 100 yards wide?

2. When does the seed need to be in the ground? I have heard all different answers on this one. I don't want to plant it too soon, nor do we want to wait till it's too late.

3. Do we need to keep the water out as much as possible, until the seed is sprouting, and will it continue to grow as under water?

I need as much advice on this as possible, and I am completely clueless on planting this stuff. I have never even attempted it before, so we don't want to mess anything up and throwing money out the window. Thanks fellas and any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

50lb will plant the whole thing. Keep water off of millet until it is established. I like to plant mine in july. But have planted in august with success.

What do you consider established? I have some that's a few inches tall and I'm worried about army worms. I want to put a little water on it to try to keep them from being an issue, but I don't want to do so if it will kill it. As long as it is not completely submerged, will it continue to grow? Thanks.

If you are worried about the cost of Jap Millet, quit worrying about duck ponds.

I don't plant past Aug 15.

It's been planted. More wanting to know how early I can put a little bit of water on it.

You can flood it now. Just don't flood it too deep. It needs sunlight.