Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: offshore trolling combos

Default offshore trolling combos

I'm going back to the keys in July this year but my buddy that has all the rods isn't going this time. So I figured it's time I start buying my own gear. I wanted to ask you offshore junkies what is the best trolling setup that won't break the bank. I like the lever drags but I know that makes the price go up. Also where is the best place to purchase that will set me up right. Mainly I will be chasing the dolphins but down there it's open for about anything. Also if anyone knows a place that has some good used stuff I might be open for that to save some money. Thanks in advance for any info.

Have you tried Catch and Release?

I haven't been in there in a while. But I do work across the interstate from them so I might run by there at lunch. Thanks.

Get some used internationals

Best bang for the buck in my opinion is shimano tld 30's on star aerial rods.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

What he said^

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    This.
    For what you will be doing that will be sufficient. Dolphin, Sails and Tarpon all on one rod.
    I do have 3 Quantum Cabo CNW 20s on Billfisher stand up rods I will part with though.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    Yep, hard to beat TLDs

I have what you need, we just upgraded our reels and are thinning out the arsenal. Send me a pm with your number. I was going to post them in trading post this weekend.

Have internationals, tlds, and some other good set ups.
    Last edited by scdiver; 06-12-2014 at 09:33 PM.

I have really been looking at the tld. That's what most people I have talked too, suggest

We went with the TLD 25, little smaller for more action. Lots cheaper too!
    Low country redneck who moved north

I'd go for the Tyrnos over the TLD. I have Internationals and Tyrnos, for dolphin fishing you can't beat the weight and smoothness of the Tyrnos. Star Arial rods are a good choice for economy. Heard good things about the Squall as well.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

get used internationals or Tiagras. You're not buying this to use once or twice. Well cared for internationals last a lifetime and are well worth the money long run.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Why not call your "buddy" and borrow his gear? I would lend mine to any one of my friends in the same situation and have borrowed from several a few times as well.
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 06-13-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    get used internationals or Tiagras. You're not buying this to use once or twice. Well cared for internationals last a lifetime and are well worth the money long run.
    X10
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Why not call your "buddy" and borrow his gear? I would lend mine to any one of my friends in the same situation and have borrowed from several a few times as well.
    He has some fishing planed the same week here in sc. Plus I figured it was time to support my own habit. I have the boat so it's time to gear her up.

Quote Originally Posted by jwterry3 View Post
    Welcome for linking a sold package???
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

If those internationals are in good shape in that link I posted, that's a pretty good deal at $300 a combo