Thread: drinking

Default drinking

How much research have yall fellas done on the negative effects of alcohol on working out? Its been a year or two ago, but I believe fish posted two beers would stop protein synthesis for 24 hours or so(been a while). Just getting a little more serious about wo and was just curious.

Heck some of the best things (and worst) I ever did involved alcohol, ha ha.
    Poverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"

2 beers wont hurt your gains. a 12 pack may, but not two beers.

you can research all day long and you will read stuff on both sides of the spectrum. there are studies that show that a beer right after work out can speed up the rehydration process. there are also studies that say a beer after workout pretty much makes your workout worthless.

in my opinion based off of my experience a few 1-5 beers after a workout made no difference. 5-10 beers after a workout and i was more sore the next day, and took longer to recover. 10-15 beers after a workout and i could tell a difference in my stamina and energy in the gym 1-2 days afterwards.

bottom line is, alcohol is a poision. when you consume it, your body has to fight to rid it self of the toxin. if its fighting alcohol, its not putting all its potential into building muscle. if you drink so much that dehyration is a problem, then it takes even longer for your body to recover. moderation is the key. if you are working out to compete in body building contest, then absolutely no alcohol. if you are like most and are just working out to look and feel better, have a few drinks if you want them. you have to enjoy yourself from time to time or you wont stick to the gym for any length of time.
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 05-19-2014 at 02:55 PM.

I believe after four I can really tell the next day in my workouts....I suppose it's primarily dehydration

I drink in moderation, but do drink more than most people that workout. I try to not to overdue it, unless it's a major event or something. I drank beer all weekend..heavily, at the lake. I went back into the gym Monday morning for chest day, and literally couldn't bench 20 pounds less than what I maxed out at the week before. Just giving my personal experience with it.