Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: havoc/Edge boat Setups

Here are some numbers that I ran through a calculator. Now using a prop speed calculator is only to get a good estimate. You may get a little better speed, or a little worse, but it's hard to calculate all the different variables in your setup. Anyway...

Speed Ratio Pitch Slip Speed
    7160.13RPM 2.33:1 21 in. 10% 55mph

That means you were turning 7k for 55mph with a modest 10% slip.

Speed Ratio Pitch Slip Speed
    6000RPM 2.33:1 21 in. 10% 46.09mph

This may be more reasonable...Any chance you were traveling downstream on a river flowing at 12mph? Or your GPS was in knots or km/h?

Quote Originally Posted by santeeswamper View Post
    I'd imagine a tempest or a good raker would do well on that. Maybe bmiller will chime in. Or his friend Ethan. Both those guys have 15 spline motors and have went thru an ass of props
    On my grizzly the best I have found so far is a 17p k series semi cleaver, puts me right now at 5900 rpm and runs low 40s.

I tried ethans 17p big ear stainless this past weekend and lost 200 rpm and could only turn it 40mph. Ethan does have a 22p raker, bring your rig up to the old state landing on the congaree and im sure hed let you try it.
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

Littledog check your pm

First of all, this exercise does no good if you don't post good results, The speed was taken with my phone, app I downloaded. I have no idea how correct it is. The whole idea of me even posting this is to get info on what I am seeing out of mine and get info on what others are seeing out of theirs. Just like Santee said about his cleavers, that's new to me, because on bentz, falcons, etc that I use to run, they have a true pad. You did not use the prop to lift the whole boat. Boat would lift itself.

Even if the speed is incorrect, I would not imagine it should be off by much.

B Miller, would love to come up and spend the day. I would love to see what yall are running and what I have done.

The post above sounds like there is something wrong, mine will run 44 mph with the bow digging a trench through the water. Seems like that 70 should do a little better?

i just had to reply so i could keep up with this thread.

keep us posted on your results littledog. ive been the jockey in a "pretty fast" havoc the last few weeks. 58 is flying on the water and considering you probably picked up 3-4mph going down river and prolly have +/- 10% accuracy on phone gps, its believable that you saw 58.. santeeswamper knows his stuff and i believe he finally has it dialed in, lord knows hes put in alot of work to get his where it is now.... eager to get it on some open water with a slight chop to see how it really does.

Why won't they build the havock in a pad hull with 56 inch bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by littledog View Post
    B Miller, would love to come up and spend the day. I would love to see what yall are running and what I have done.

The post above sounds like there is something wrong, mine will run 44 mph with the bow digging a trench through the water. Seems like that 70 should do a little better?
    Im also not a small dude rofl
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

Keep in mind too that "sometimes" those cell phone GPS app's get screwy. WetReed can vouch for that.

I've never used them before ..... mainly b/c I always use Lowrance.

Also ..... someone mentioned a Tempest somewhere back in this thread. Before you go wasting your time looking, no such creature exists for the 4.25" gearcase. You can get them for a V-6 gearcase, but not for the mid-range motors. Hence why a Trophy Plus will be an over-n-thru hub exhaust prop on a V-6, but the same prop is thru-hub on a 4.25" 'case. Besides, a prop like that (Tempest) needs a pad to really shine anyway. The advice you got on getting a semi-cleaver (like the Yamaha K-) is solid, especially for a great all around prop for that hull.

If you cant get you a semi cleaver you should be faster than this(click the video), this is a 170 DSSC Triton with the pad hull, your same 90 Mercury with 2.33 gears. 17 gallons of gas, full live well, 80 pound thrust I pilot, 3 group 27 batteries, 2 guys one is 160 pounds the other 215, full of fishing gear. On a 26 pitch factory trophy plus mercury prop 10 inches of set back at about 3 3/4 inches below pad. Running around 50 mph even at 5400 rpms, against the current.

http://s163.photobucket.com/user/Blu...0cd2f.mp4.html
    Last edited by WetReed; 05-12-2014 at 10:09 AM.

^ ...... you're welcome. LOL

............... and day'um you're scrawny @ 160lb's!

That "scrawny" kid deadlifts 445lbs lol

Quote Originally Posted by WetReed View Post
    That "scrawny" kid deadlifts 445lbs lol
    I got a tractor for that sh!t. LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Browning Gold 3.5 View Post
    Keep in mind too that "sometimes" those cell phone GPS app's get screwy. WetReed can vouch for that.

I've never used them before ..... mainly b/c I always use Lowrance.
    Don't tell me that I saw 31 in my go devil boat last week. Lol
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

with this and that being said, looks like we will have to put our money where our mouth is at the poker run. I am not saying that I have the fastest by any stretch, but feel pretty good about being in the game with the new prop on the way. We will just have to see how she goes, going to mess with the bottom this week at some point and there are a few minor changes that need to be made between jack and stadic plate.

And if I had to guess why I am showing a little faster speed than the triton, I am running the gearcase 0.5 to 1" below bottom, there is the difference, and less weight. I have nothing but 9 gals of gas and crank battery.

Wet reed,

Not sure why they don't build the 1756 with a pad. Kevin said they did not, so I took his word on it.

I'm on way to Kevin's now to talk about a 1853 pad hull.

Speaking of the weld bead across the transom... Is there a bead across the pad?

I think tim is trying to still work out some bugs with his pad design before he really starts to produce them. There are only 4 pad hulls out there right now. Im sure once he gets it all figured out he will start producing a longer and wider pad hull boat....

The thing about the havoc pads, are, well, they really arent your regular pad hulls. They are more of a hybrid pad. One that can bump stumps in the timber without fear of denting or deforming the pad..... Hes onto something but has to get it all worked out before he can really start producing them. Bow lift is the biggest issue with them right now.

Yes wetreed, my pad hull has a bead all the way across the bottom. Im about to gradually start sanding mine down, starting with the pad first to try to get a little more bow lift. The other two pad havocs already have gotten rid of their beads.