Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Artificial insemination

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

DT,
    Here is my .02 cents. The first thing you need to get done are the health clearances on the dog. A minimum of hips, elbows, eyes, and EIC. The dog will need to be microchipped before you can have them cleared, if she isn't already. If you get passing grades on everything, then you need to look to potential costs for the litter. Talk to your vet about the cost of emergency c sections, puppy vaccinations, dew claw removal, etc. also look at the cost of weening puppies, and taking care of them if you don't find a home for all the puppies you had planned on selling.

One other question you had was is it worth it to breed your dog to a NFC? That all depends on who your wanting to sell the dogs to, and what your breeding them for. An NFC stud is going to cost a lot more to breed to, than your average house dog. It also is going to attract a different group of buyers. A lot of people who want a house dog, are turned off at the price of a nicely pedigreed working dog. They don't understand the titles, and don't often care. They just know they can get a dog for half the price if they check the Sunday newspaper. There is nothing wrong with that either, titles don't automatically make a better dog. However, titles do increase the price of a litter, they do curry favor towards a good working dog, and they do attract a different buyer. That buyer is usually someone who understands titles, understands the breed better, and is looking for a certain bloodline, certain breeding pair, color, drive, pedigree, health clearances, etc. That buyer is usually much more educated and picky. They often want to titles on both sire and dam, and want to look back at their grandparents and so forth. They may want to see the dog hunt or run in a field trial or hunt test. I would encourage you to get your ducks in a row, look at the pedigree of both dogs, get the health clearances done, and start putting feelers out to see how well you could sell the litter if your dog had one.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 05-12-2014 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    DT,
    and start putting feelers out to see how well you could sell the litter if your dog had one.
    How do you recommend going about this?
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

Quote Originally Posted by The Conservative View Post
    How do you recommend going about this?
    Talk to folks in the local retriever club. Post up the question on forums like this. Retrievertraining.net has a ton of "dog people" who can give feedback.
    If you know or work with a pro trainer, seek their opinion and feedback.
    Talk to friends who may have mentioned they would like a puppy out of your dog if you were to ever breed him/her.

Or he could just buy one of my pups !
    80-20 Genaration

Excellent post Marsh Chicken!

Is there a reasonable expectation that a certain breeding would bring? For instance, a HR dam X GRHRCH sire

Or

A SR dam X AFC sire? I have always heard field trial pups bring more? True?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

Quote Originally Posted by The Conservative View Post
    Is there a reasonable expectation that a certain breeding would bring? For instance, a HR dam X GRHRCH sire

Or

A SR dam X AFC sire? I have always heard field trial pups bring more? True?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    It all depends on your buyers and who is willing to pay what. There are actually quite a few variables in the equation to answer that question. In simple terms, a field trial dog will bring a higher stud fee. But that's where it ends. You have to look at the dams pedigree. You have to look at the market your selling to. Are both dogs well known, or is everything weighing heavily on the sires title? How strong is the overall pedigree of both dogs? Like I said...lots of variables.

I'm not a huge fan of AI but have done it because I am a huge fan of making money. Not a great way to make a living but there are worse ways I guess.

If you can't get 'em pregnant with live cover then maybe there is a reason and they shouldn't be pregnant at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Not a great way to make a living but there are worse ways I guess.
    I stopped by the clinic to see the missus one afternoon. She was in the middle of a collection.

It was... Disturbing.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Mobetter View Post
    I stopped by the clinic to see the missus one afternoon. She was in the middle of a collection.

It was... Disturbing.
    While I was practicing in Virginia I collected a coon hound for freezing/shipping so much that he'd start humpin as soon as he hit the parking lot and would ejaculate as soon as he saw the collecting sleeve. Took about 30 seconds total.

I made the techs do it, FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    While I was practicing in Virginia I collected a coon hound for freezing/shipping so much that he'd start humpin as soon as he hit the parking lot and would ejaculate as soon as he saw the collecting sleeve. Took about 30 seconds total.

I made the techs do it, FYI.
    I can't breathe!
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken

I have not attempted a breeding. My dog is a product of AI. Both the sire and dam have good papers and health issues. My dog has not been tested.

I am not looking for an overly complicated process. Just wondered if I could order the semen for a reasonable amour and take care of it at home. I will not ship my dog. No way.

Thanks for the info. I read a little about it on the net.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Yes you can buy chilled or frozen semen and have it shipped. Chilled need to be shipped over night and used the next day. Frozen can be kept as long as needed. Not in your freezer at home !
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    I have not attempted a breeding. My dog is a product of AI. Both the sire and dam have good papers and health issues. My dog has not been tested.

I am not looking for an overly complicated process. Just wondered if I could order the semen for a reasonable amour and take care of it at home. I will not ship my dog. No way.

Thanks for the info. I read a little about it on the net.
    My bad. I read this as an alternative due to not being able to conceive. Sorry.

Try jacking off a 2500lb bull.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Done it. What else you got.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

DT, make sure if you're doing AI that you do vaginal cytology on the bitch and are checking progesterone levels so you don't miss the LH spike and ovulation.

Is dinner or kissing required?
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.