Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you shoot a turkey off the limb?

If the tom is tree hopping to the call then I would shoot him. If he is roosted and had not flown down or just flown up then absolutely not.

I will admit I had one bird a couple years ago that flew over the top of me and landed in the tree early. I had been on the bird for three hours and he was 60 yards from me. I was ready to shoot when he got in range and he flew in the tree. I put the gun on him but could not pull the trigger. I did however kill him the next day about 4:00 pm.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Is it at night and do I have a flashlight?

You got him within range calling, he just flew in. I would have let him have it anyday of the week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Lazy is not a virtue of a duck hunter.

I would shoot him and giggle when he hit the ground.

I would
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Tree hoppers should be removed from the gene pool asap
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Pops stopped me from killing one on the limb when I was about 14 on public land. The difference is we hadn't called him in. There was so much pressure on that property that old boy decided to sit his ass in the tree most of the morning.

I still regret not capping his ass and taking the ass cutting my dad surely would have doled out for not listening to him.

Dad let him live because we didn't call that bird in. You did.....I'd have limb whipped his ass mid gobble and done a victory lap around him once he hit the deck.

Choot em
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

I didn't read it but I have an would

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

I'm not going to shoot one off the roost, but what you had there was not a roosted turkey.

First thing you have to remember...the only flood that will run turkeys out of a swamp is one that covers the tops of every tree in there...for a while. Turkeys and water go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Second thing you have to remember...you won't hunt turkeys in a flooded swamp very long without having one fly to you. About the only thing you can be sure of is he won't paddle up to you in a dugout.

Last thing to remember...swimming a branch to get to a gobbling turkey sucks, but swimming a branch with a dead gobbler trumps having the back of your pants covered in blood any day.

I'm not going to shoot one off the roost, but what you had there was not a roosted turkey.

Exactly.
    \"Go to Know\"

The only thing worse than shooting a turkey off the limb, is kissing your sister.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Is it at night and do I have a flashlight?
    Zackly what I was wonderin.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    you did your part by calling the bird in to within range.... pop him and watch him flap around in the water like a mallard duck.
    Then waterswat the basturd. That way you got it all!
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Glad to see that no one is to poetic to go ahead and score him off the limb. I figured there may have been a few purists out there who may have passed. Anyway there was no way in hell I was going to just walk away. I was able to slowly stand up as he was facing the other direction, took a few steps to my right to find a opening in the canopy. I shouldered my gun and admired him strutting on the tree before letting out a couple soft yelps. He turned to his right and gobbled, stuck his head up, and then I let it crack. He fell like a hammer and made a huge splash when he hit the water. I did a little dance and then waded out to get him.

Ended up being a nice bird. 17 lbs, 10 in beard and 1 inch spurs.

This is what happens when a bird falls 30 yards and hits the water, self plucking

He had been eating good lately

And he sure did taste good, we fried half and grilled half

Should've killed a few more birds this season but the one I did kill made for a fun hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

There you go...Good stuff and congrats on a fine hunt.

awesome, I like it. you're hunting a bird, that flies.. you worked for him and got it done, congrats

way to squeeze a little more drama out of the season.

Nice work!

There's the cliffhanger to this story! excellente'
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

I chased a bird for a large part of the season.

Bird took to roosting across the river.

At roost time, and fly down time, I would be on my side of the river calling to him...If I could have talked him across the river, I would have shot him on the wing, on his way to me.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton