Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Skinny on Fat

No, you don't need to eat them, but on the other hand there is nothing wrong with the folks that do. Me thinks you are too focused on dieabeetiz.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    I'm in complete agreement with Toofer. Damn I must be sick! I know a guy that ate a lb. a bacon a day. He had TWO heart attacks, ya reckon all that bacon may have played a role? Ya ever heard of anyone dying from eating too many mashed taters or too much wheat bread? There ya go!
    Makes about as much sense as me saying bermuda grass causes cancer because I knew a guy who got cancer and he had bermuda grass in his yard.

Without knowing and accounting for ALL the variables it is merely a conclusion based on predisposed opinion. I'm sure he had grits with that bacon. And toast. And coffee. And eggs. And maybe waffles? Pancakes?

See how this works?

I knew that would be your comeback, and yes, he did use to smoke.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    whoa now. I think that lunch is wonderful. It has a lot of carbs in it. You know that, right?

I just worry about people coming into a forum like this and only hitting the highlights and thinking eating all meat is the new "lifestyle" of choice. I think thats an incorrect assumption. Your lunch is healthy but you dont NEED the meat in it to make it so....

I agree with you that grains are NOT a necessary dietary ingredient but its also proven that truly unrefined grains do NOT cause the insulin spikes and therefore CAN be included in a healthy diet. That's all I'm saying....
    If I have given you or anyone else that perception then either I delivered my message wrong or it was received wrong.

I think we can all agree that since the adoption of low fat/high grain/sugar (I won't say carb. That okay?) lifestyle our country is NOT healthier and our pharm companies ARE wealthier.

I also think we can agree that animal fats are not the evil for which they have been portrayed and that the common causative link among most, if not all western diseases is sugar and those "foods" that mimic sugar once they enter our bodies.

I tell my clients and those who ask to keep it simple. If your food cannot spoil then you don't need to eat it. Period. I'm blessed to have a freezer for the deer/fish/game but beyond that I spend a lot of time in the grocery store and not in the aisles buying food because what I eat goes bad.

Lab, you take too many pills to validate any argument you have. Go "vap" and leave this to the adults.
    Last edited by Glenn; 05-12-2014 at 12:10 PM.

low fat/high UNREFINED grain/sugar is bad lifestyle. I'm nitpicking, but you're generalizing.

the low fat craze made the world fatter. they replaced the old carbs with refined carbs and that's a poor swap.

I dont care about Rx companies.

I was gonna quote labluvr's earlier post about liking sugar and such but since he's a smoker, too, he aint gonna live long OR healthy so I will spend my time on those willing to make some changes.

AGREE on animal fats. They arent evil. Sugar is evil. Also agree.

BUT I do think the paleo message is watered down by all the drool coming out of people's mouths since they think they can eat meat meat meat and be healthy. I think our country will soon learn the old "calorie in/calorie out" debate is nonsense and that insulin and other peptides play a HUGE role in weight gain but our supermarkets have to work on supply/demand as it pertains to the RIGHT bacon...the RIGHT eggs...the RIGHT meat....etc...that we should be consuming.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 05-12-2014 at 12:20 PM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I think I'm gong to Krispy Kreme for a snack and some chocolate milk! Maybe they will wrap some bacon around one of them there donuts.
    The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    Theodore Roosevelt

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    low fat/high UNREFINED grain/sugar is bad lifestyle. I'm nitpicking, but you're generalizing.

the low fat craze made the world fatter. they replaced the old carbs with refined carbs and that's a poor swap.

I dont care about Rx companies.

I was gonna quote labluvr's earlier post about liking sugar and such but since he's a smoker, too, he aint gonna live long OR healthy so I will spend my time on those willing to make some changes.

AGREE on animal fats. They arent evil. Sugar is evil. Also agree.

BUT I do think the paleo message is watered down by all the drool coming out of people's mouths since they think they can eat meat meat meat and be healthy. I think our country will soon learn the old "calorie in/calorie out" debate is nonsense and that insulin and other peptides play a HUGE role in weight gain but our supermarkets have to work on supply/demand as it pertains to the RIGHT bacon...the RIGHT eggs...the RIGHT meat....etc...that we should be consuming.
    Okay. So I generalize. Everyone with a background in biochem and nutrition raise their hands! It has to be generalized or people zone out. You and I care about the science because we're men of science. Most don't. You read that article and any others posted here and to you it screams, "EAT MEAT, DAMN THE TORPEDOS AND FULL STEAM AHEAD!" Where I read it and it is trying to undo this dogma that animal fats are the root of all evil. You have to have an intake of macro nutrients. No doubt about it. And that means plant based carbs. Again, I don't think I've ever said to just eat meat and nothing else. If I have then I was wrong. What I have said is that whole foods are better than processed. Fresh foods are better than processed. And that if you cannot pick it up off the ground, eat it and derive benefit and nutrition from it then you should not eat it.

Who in their right mind just wants to eat meat and eggs all day?!?!? Certainly not me.

To me, it's as simple as not eating ANY grains (because without a doubt they ALL make me feel like shit) and simply replacing them in the diet with plants. I don't eat any more or less meats and such than before.

I feel good when I don't eat grains and like shit when I do. Simple as that.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Stopit

You're generalizing

Because grains (in general) give me the shits.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Because grains (in general) give me the shits.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Invite him inside for a tall cool glass of die mother fucker.

Not a grain to be found....

[IMG][/IMG]

If I eat a salad with meat on top everyday for lunch, will that offset the couple of beers I have every night?

Seriously though I'm struggling with how to get started towards eating "healthier", it seems difficult when there are very few "healthy/paleoish" choices on the menu at restaurants. And that's mostly my option for the next almost a year since I'm working out of town a lot.
    Last edited by cusportsman; 05-12-2014 at 01:05 PM.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

The last time I drank a beer was over a week ago - SOP for me. I have had a half bottle of red wine. So sue me.

Quote Originally Posted by cusportsman View Post
    If I eat a salad with meat on top everyday for lunch, will that offset the couple of beers I have every night?

Seriously though I'm struggling with how to get started towards eating "healthier", it seems difficult when there are very few "healthy/paleoish" choices on the menu at restaurants. And that's mostly my option for the next almost a year since I'm working out of town a lot.
    Don't be afraid to ask for what you want in a restaurant. I do it a lot and it's amazing at how easily they will modify for you. Most are very happy to do it.

I've found when traveling that the biggest reason I eat like crap is that I don't want to think about what to eat - especially at the end of a long day - and end up just ordering off the menu because it's easier. It just takes a little thought.

Salads and meat/veggies are your friends when ordering at a restaurant.

Fajitas and tell 'em to hold the rice and tortillas works too. I'll eat the guac salad that comes with it and not touch the rest. There's a mexican joint up here (Bronco) that makes THE BEST grilled chicken salad on the planet. Glenn turned me onto that'n. Lettuce, chicken, cheese, grilled green peppers, grilled broccoli, grilled cauliflower. Hold the salad dressing and chips and just give me the salsa for it - then use that for the dressing. It's crazy good.

Hit outback and have the 6oz steak with veggies. That's easy.
    The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    Theodore Roosevelt

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

And EXERCISE you bunch of lazy asses!
    Theodore Roosevelt

― Theodore Roosevelt

there is good protein and bad protein.
    there is good carbs and bad carbs.
    there is good fat and bad fat.

as long as you wash it down with water full of fluoride and chlorine, it doesn't matter what you eat.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Everyone with a background in biochem and nutrition raise their hands!
    Oooh! .

But it's animal nutrition.

You want me to balance a ration using oreo cookies, baleage, and cotton seed meal for a dairy cow, I'm all over it.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff