Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USDA Forest Service Burning Turkeys

Timing might be flatwood salamanders.... Just saying.
    Last edited by Calibogue; 04-25-2014 at 04:06 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    The timing of the burn could have to do with a threatened or endangered plant.
    Hardwood control.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Not necessarily....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

The most recent forest plan that I know of said:

"
    Sustain the habitat capability for the following population densities of wildlife species in
    the long term in suitable habitat: eastern wild turkey-1 turkey/75 acres; white-tailed deer-1
    deer/30-40 acres, and northern bobwhite-1 quail/10 acres."

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Not necessarily....
    That's what I was told by a USFS employee who knows folks in the FMNF office.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Submit your comments and suggestions for the next plan:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/scnfs/...telprdb5393142

Those numbers are pure f-in hogwash!

I'm just the Google-guy.

"The NWTF is in full support of the USFS prescribe burn program, especially as it relates to growing season fire. Wildlife biologists and others throughout the Southeast use growing season fire as part of comprehensive plans to manage fuels and improve habitat across the landscape for many species of wildlife, including wild turkey. No doubt a few nests are disturbed or destroyed in the fire. However, the loss is far outweighed by the benefit of improved habitat. Without prescribed fire, the habitat capability of the land would be far less for all wildlife, including wild turkey. Unfortunately several years of low reproduction of wild turkeys in Arkansas have led some to conclude that it must be the use of growing season fire that is the cause. Nothing could be further from the reality of the situation.

Simply stated, there are 3.4 million acres of USFS; around 200,000 is prescribe burned each year with less than 20,000 acres treated after nesting season gets into full swing. This is hardly the reason for poor reproduction state wide. Factors affecting reproduction are many and include weather, mast crops, predation and others.

WE at the NWTF stand solidly beside the USFS and are proud of the good land stewardship they are engaged in. Considerations for wildlife and improving habitat on our National Forests has never been a higher priority than it is today and we should all be proud of that".

The timing of the burn could have to do with a threatened or endangered plant.
    If they are timing burns around threatened or endangered species, they haven't mentioned it. I think they would have to have some real charismatic megafauna such as an ivory-billed woodpecker or a FL panther in order to alter their burning plan. Maybe a giant panda or Siberian tiger...lol.

I did see wide arcs around red-cockaded woodpecker nest cavity trees. Of our boots-on-the-ground since late Feb, I do know they found 1 (one) spotted turtle that perished during a controlled burn. The species the study group was after was unaffected by burning and the burned areas made it easier to find them.

As to poults, I'm always in there in late May or early June. Poults we see then are abundant and over 2 weeks old (the age at which they can fly).
    Last edited by Zephyr; 04-25-2014 at 04:38 PM.
    Hunting outside the box

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    If they are timing burns around threatened or endangered species, they haven't mentioned it. I think they would have to have some real charismatic megafauna such as an ivory-billed woodpecker or a FL panther in order to alter their burning plan. Maybe a giant panda or Siberian tiger...lol.

I did see wide arcs around red-cockaded woodpecker nest cavity trees. Of our boots-on-the-ground since late Feb, I do know they found 1 (one) spotted turtle that perished during a controlled burn. The species the study group was after was unaffected by burning and the burned areas made it easier to find them.

As to poults, I'm always in there in late May or early June. Poults we see then are abundant and over 2 weeks old (the age at which they can fly).
    Negative. On the Bankhead NF in Alabama, they alter their burns around wind directions and proximity to caves for a fuggin bat. Special interest groups and endangered species run the Forest Service.

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    If anyone hasn't noticed the USDA Forest Service is actively burning again as they did last year in the months of April and May..

I understand the importance of control burns for timber management and wildlife but come on guys.. There were a ton of perfect burn days in January and Febuary in this area.

Having stumbled on 2 more burnt nests this year and 3 last year I stopped in yesterday and spoke with the Forest Service Burn Director, Paul Churchhill, and he told me without concern and to point that yes the USDA Forest Service is aware that they are burning Turkey Eggs, but that their biologist Danny Carlson says its not a big concern.

After this awakening I contacted Tom Huges at the NWTF in Edgefield, he is aware and also concerned not only with the timing of these burns but also the tract size..

Now maybe its just common sense to me not to reverse the good direction that proper management has insured for the Eastern Wild Turkey population but also that it is moronic to toss out the window the millions of dollars spent surrounding Wild Turkey management by burning their nests but as usual the Gubment ain't quite sure..

But rest assured the fines and penalties for poaching a Eastern Wild Turkey are the most severe in the books however the USDA Forest Service may burn them at will... Hmmmm...

If you are concerned contact Paul Churchhill email : PChurchill@FS.fed.us
    Good burn days are few and far between. It would blow your mind the actual effort and timing for a good control burn. The burn objectives have a direct correlation on the timing of a burn. I'm all for minimizing the detrimental affects to turkey nests but the word "Forest" means something in US Forest Service. I would venture to say that the US Forest Service goals are 60% forest utilization and 25% recreational benefits to the public, and 15% wildlife habitat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

I agree with timber22

I agree with timber22
    You drunk already?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

I agree with timber22

Hammered

The USFS manages for longleaf pine trees and wood cockaded woodpeckers. This April and May burning is nothing new. The have been doing it for years. I don't agree with it at all, but I don't worry about stuff I can't change. I spoke in great detail about it with one of their veteran employees at lunch today.

There is roughly 1/4 million acres of forest and only 20000 have been burned this year. The turkeys are fine. I see turkeys running into burn compartments only a few days after the smoke clears. Stop being upset and get educated on the biological effects of using fire as a management tool.
    Last edited by mohill; 04-25-2014 at 10:38 PM.

I see the needs for the burning but knowing where stick9 hunts, that area gets torched over and over again. It's not necessary to burn as frequent as they do and as late as they do year after year. Lots of other areas would benefit from tge resources that go into the burning

With as much as the Feds get involved chasing silly BS turkey hunting game violations you would think their boys would flip out over something like this!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

He hunts there because there is an abundance of turkeys. Which are there because of the great habitat provided by burning. The areas burned on a solid 2-3 year rotation in the forest have the most hunter activity due to what one would assume to be higher turkey numbers than other areas (not regularly burned).