Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lovett Williams

Default Lovett Williams

Dr Lovett Williams , ( expert Wild Turkey biologist from FL) has had a massive stroke that has left him virtually incapacitated and unable to speak. Please think of him in your prayers.

Williams is well known for his Florida hunt camp on Fisheating Creek.

I killed my first Osceola Longbeard hunting his place back in 1982. Lovett is known for his well documented study of the Osceola, and his many well written books (and wingbone calls).

Dr. Williams was one of the early pioneers in recording the calls of the Wild Turkey. His "Real Turkeys" series of recordings are still relevant.

Williams was doing most recently developing an air operated call that replicated the mating "song" of the Ocellated turkey. His camps in Mexico and Guatemala are continuing to operate with new management.

His book "The Art and Science of Wild Turkey Hunting" is a must read book for the serious hunter. It may be out of print.

His daughter Heather will continue to sell the books, audio CDs , tapes and remaining calls in inventory from her home in New York.

www.lovettwilliams.com
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

prayers sent for the family. How old is he nitro?

Hate to hear that, one fine gentleman.......He is full of knowledge on turkeys.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    prayers sent for the family. How old is he nitro?
    He is 79. Declining at a rapid pace.

If you have a spare dollar or two, go order a call or a book from the website. I know the family would appreciate it...there is a huge amount of information inside his books..

Thank you!!
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

will do. which one that's available on the site would you recommend?

If you are buying one- Wild Turkey Hunting and Management. It should have one of Lovett's CDs in it- "Sounds of the Wild Turkey"

Any of the books on the Mexican birds -if you are ever planning to hunt the Gould's or Ocellated...

The book on the Osceola is worth owning too.

Thanks!
    Last edited by nitro5x6's; 04-24-2014 at 09:07 AM.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

He's a great guy. He's been very helpful to me in recent years. I hate to hear this news.
    Last edited by smallwater; 04-24-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: punctuation

So sad. Prayers for him and his family.
    Hunting outside the box

He has had a fine and full life... Sad that he is bedridden.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Me and my buddy were just talking about him while we were in the Gila last week. I just ordered his "After the Hunt" book. Sad to hear.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Default Lovett Williams

Apparently he has been suffering dementia for more than a year now. Before Turkey and Turkey Hunting Magazine went out of publication last year, he submitted 7 years worth of articles as he knew he was forgetting his life's work.

He did more research on the wild turkey than anyone alive. When I did my Senior research project in college on color variations in the wild turkey, he was the only one that had any documentation on the subject.

Unfortunately, the world of wildlife biology and turkey hunters have probably lost the mind of the most knowledgable man ever on the wild turkey.

I highly suggest his book "After the Hunt".
    Last edited by HartClemson99; 04-25-2014 at 06:36 PM.
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

Hate to hear that.

Praying for him and his family.

Quote Originally Posted by HartClemson99 View Post
    Apparently he has been suffering dementia for more than a year now. Before Turkey and Turkey Hunting Magazine went out of publication last year, he submitted 7 years worth of articles as he knew he was forgetting his life's work.

He did more research on the wild turkey than anyone alive. When I did my Senior research project in college on color variations in the wild turkey, he was the only one that had any documentation on the subject.

Unfortunately, the world of wildlife biology and turkey hunters have probably lost the mind of the most knowledgable man ever on the wild turkey.

I highly suggest his book "After the Hunt".

Yep

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

That the one he recommends pouring some Wild Turkey inside yer body???
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I was contacted by the family a few minutes ago, Dr. Lovett Williams passed away this afternoon.

God Speed to one of the experts on the subject of the Wild Turkey. Thanks for all you taught me Lovett!!
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

RIP Dr. Williams.
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

Godspeed Lovett, Godspeed

I'm very sorry to hear that. I'm betting they gobble a lot in Heaven, though.

I hate to hear that, RIP.

A long interview: