Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any car stereo guys here?

Quote Originally Posted by Clemsonwoodie View Post
    Been doing installs on the side for 20+ years
    Nice. Sundown makes a good product. Have a buddy with 4 sa-8 and it's nasty.

Sent from my rooted SAMSUNG Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4.
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

Is nasty a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by B.Miller View Post
    Guess what I meant is I didn't think many still ran systems. Esp the people on here. ( I do, but seems as most of my buddies get older and have kids they sell theirs.)

It's hard to leave once you get into it. My oldest loves it. Ill come out to the car sometimes and he has it rockin. Came out to the truck one day and he had it cranked up to where the back glass was scuking in and out...lol

Nice. Sundown makes a good product. Have a buddy with 4 sa-8 and it's nasty.

Wifes Pilot is getting ready to get 4 sa-8's . Great lil subs.

It's hard to leave once you get into it. My oldest loves it. Ill come out to the car sometimes and he has it rockin. Came out to the truck one day and he had it cranked up to where the back glass was scuking in and out...lol
    Agreed. I said I wasn't going to put anything in my Tahoe and ended up with 4 Phoenix Gold 10s and a Phoenix Gold Xs6600 amp.

And yes Ralph, nasty is a good thing.

1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

Next Build will be an Old School build with PPI or Orion

I've never used a cap. I used wheel chair batteries. I couldn't tell any difference bt them and yellow tops. I haven't messed with this stuff in years. I don't even know who the top companies are anymore. Best amp I ever had was a PG m100.
    Last edited by StrutnBPS; 04-15-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Next Build will be an Old School build with PPI or Orion
    I had old school autotek amps in my old Tahoe and I kick myself for letting them go with it all the time.

1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

Guess what I meant is I didn't think many still ran systems. Esp the people on here. ( I do, but seems as most of my buddies get older and have kids they sell theirs.)

for some it takes a little longer to get the teenager out of us... i had a pretty nice system in my truck in highschool.. had two kicker 12s in the extended cab. damn things would make your nose itch and take your breath away when you cranked em up in that little tiny cab. when i traded it and bought my toyota i kept the factory stuff for a while and eventually just had to add a little bass. have one RF shallow mount 12 behind the seat now.... i say i wont put anything in my next vehicle but i know im prolly lying. i still love to crank it up when a good song comes on.

this stuff is like anything else, if you get out of the loop, and come back in later, it takes a while for it to all come back to you. i just bought an amp and two speakers for my boat, and it took me a week of reading to catch back up on the technical mumbo jumbo....
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 04-15-2014 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    I've never used a cap. I used wheel chair batteries. I couldn't tell any difference bt them and yellow tops. I haven't messed with this stuff in years. I don't even know who the top companies are anymore.

The game has changed alot... Sundown, Fi, and many more newcomers in the market

I can imagine. My best friend and I built our own enclosures and did our own installs (along with half of our high school's). We made a pretty good hustle during those days. Between him and I we had just about every name that was popular of the time. Kicker, JL, MTX, RF, ORION, MEMPHIS, PHEONIX GOLD, etc.

The most impressive system I ever had was a trio of W6 12's with a Memphis 1000d in a 1996 ext cab Dodge Dakota. Something about the electrical system in that truck was different. I ran a red top under the hood and a wheel chair battery per amp. Only aggravating thing is I had to put the receiver on a pedestal because we couldn't reenforce the dash well enough. Those w6's sounded good in everything and through a wide range of air space. At one time I had them in a common chamber 2.0 per sub with 6'' PVC ports. The amount of air those things moved was unreal. Put them in sealed .95 and they sounded even better.

One of the biggest disappointments that I had were the ORION HCCAs. I had two 15's with a 1000d per sub. Those things were a joke. I fried about six of them before I decided to call it quits. Sealed, vented, ported. It didn't matter, I fried them in hours. The last system I had was you bet, a trio of w6s sealed with a 1000d. I rocked them until one of the dust caps finally started to rattle then I got out of it altogether.

I think i may start a build to take to Spring Break Nationals next year. Just got to get some mo funds.

I think i may start a build to take to Spring Break Nationals next year. Just got to get some mo funds.
    Post pics if u do.
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

I've been out if it for some time but still appreciate good sound. Plus I work with electronics in my job and never lost touch with how to install, just kinda lost track as to the big players in the game. I still have my MTX 5 channel amp collecting dust that I pulled from the f150. I've been debating on whether to put the 2 RF 10's under the back seats of my Canyon, or just wait til I get another truck in the next year or so. But I had to put mids/hi's in it, the stock junk was fried when I bought it and I couldn't stand it anymore.

Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by willyworm; 04-16-2014 at 10:13 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Sell those RF's. Buy one Sundown sa-8 and you will be happy. I want to say they need less than .5 cuft .

I have the old box, been trying to sell em in the box but didn't get any serious bites. If I do decide to do the install, I'll check em out. I'm hoping the job situation will get better after I graduate college in 6 weeks and I can go on and buy the truck I want and wait to put 'em in that vehicle.

Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

ahhh.. those Sundown sa-8s look interesting. ive got 200watts rms left on my amp in my new jon boat. i was just out there measuring to see if i had enough room to build a 1-1.5 cubic foot box to fit one of my old mtx 12s under the back seat.... i think i can make one fit but it will be tight. i KNOW i can build a .5 cubic foot box to stick under there. i may just need to wait and pick up one the sundowns. i was just going to experiment with the sub i already had just for shits and giggles but now this sundown has me thinkin.

I was wrong the Sa-8 is .28 cuft.

http://www.sundownaudio.com/index.ph...sa-series.html

With that size fitting .28 cuft you could add 2 6 1/2s in a box and wouldnt take up much room and be easy too remove

ive already mounted my two RF 6.5s in the seat...

jeeze. a .28cuft box is tiny. i could really make that work. hell if i buy it and dont like it i can always sell it and recoup most of my dough.

Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 04-16-2014 at 01:48 PM.