Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any car stereo guys here?

Default Any car stereo guys here?

I've got 2 Polk 12" subs (rated at 300 watts at 4ohms) and a Polk amp (300 watt rms bridged at 4ohms and 75 watt rms at 2ohms). Currently only have the amp pushing one sub (bridged at 4 ohms) and it sounds pretty good but I'd like to use this 2nd sub that I've aquired so my question is, is my amp enough to push the 2 subs or is it too under powered? Are there wiring configurations to make it work or am I simply gonna have to get a bigger amp? What are my options?

Your current amp should do just fine. Less resistance = more power out of your amp. Use series wiring to get the two subs wired with a total load of 2 ohms. Then rock out to your boom boom.

Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by willyworm; 04-13-2014 at 08:25 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Subs dual voice coil or single?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Single

Parallel is amp + to sub1 +, sub1 - to sub2 +, and then sub2 - to amp - ... correct?

Or do I have it backwards?

Pos to pos and neg to neg?

If you are the sumbitch that keeps riding by my house I hope that shit bursts into flames.

If not, disregard.

Hahaha, not me bud. Not too into the "rattle the license plate" kinda boom. I just like good quality sound.

If it's a 2 chanel amp there are two positive and two negative speaker connections. One if each should be labeled as the ones to use when "bridging" your speakers. Run two positive wires from that one positive connector designated by the term "bridged" marked on the amp. One of them goes to the positive pole on sub 1 and the other to pos on sub 2. Now do two negatives wires from the single designated negative connection on the amp two the two negative poles on the subs. Get it?

Last edited by willyworm; 04-13-2014 at 08:34 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CSBUCKSHOT View Post
    Single

Parallel is amp + to sub1 +, sub1 - to sub2 +, and then sub2 - to amp - ... correct?
    This is what you call parallel wiring and with that set up you are running at 8 ohms, assuming the subs are the standard 4 ohms for that single voice coil. Wiring it like I mentioned above will show 2 ohm load which will slow your amp to produce more power because is the lower resistance load.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This is what parallel wiring looks like giving you an 8 ohm load when hooking two standard 4 ohm subs. (Pay no attention to the wattage numbers in the pics, they're just an example.)

This is series, which is what you want to get max power out your amp.
    Last edited by willyworm; 04-13-2014 at 08:32 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

300 watts into 2 oholms doesn't sound right.... watts should go up when connecting to low oholm speakers...... check the specs, if correct you may need another amp.

Will this mess up the quality 8 track sound?

How many channels is the amp? Mono?
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

Make sure you can go to 2ohm with that amp. And what size power wire? If you have something small in there now you may get dimming lights when you start drawing more current from the amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Clemsonwoodie View Post
    Make sure you can go to 2ohm with that amp. And what size power wire? If you have something small in there now you may get dimming lights when you start drawing more current from the amp.
    That's correct. If the amp isn't rated to go down to 2ohm you will keep burning fuses and eventually fry the amp. The size of power wire is also important. You may also need some kind of cap so it won't drain your battery so bad. Whenever I was into that kinda stuff I ran two strands of 4ga or one strand of 2. Of all the "systems" that I had the best sounding was three JL AUDIO W6 12's pushed by a memphis 1000d. I also used to have a few orion hcca 15's with a memphis 1000d per sub. I wish I had all the money I put into that crap back then.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    That's correct. If the amp isn't rated to go down to 2ohm you will keep burning fuses and eventually fry the amp. The size of power wire is also important. You may also need some kind of cap so it won't drain your battery so bad. Whenever I was into that kinda stuff I ran two strands of 4ga or one strand of 2. Of all the "systems" that I had the best sounding was three JL AUDIO W6 12's pushed by a memphis 1000d. I also used to have a few orion hcca 15's with a memphis 1000d per sub. I wish I had all the money I put into that crap back then.

Yep. I have a run of 0ga in my truck and honda. I have found the caps really dont do any good if you run large enough power and ground. I also like doing what they call the Big 3 under the hood. Currently i have 2 Sundown Sa-12's on a Sundown SAZ-1500d in the truck and 1 Sa-12 and a SAZ-1000d in the car. Both have yellow tops Optimas.
    Last edited by Clemsonwoodie; 04-15-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Big 3 is way more effective than a cap.

Didnt think wed have many car audio guys on here.
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

Quote Originally Posted by B.Miller View Post

this is scducks...... ask the question and somebody on here will know something about anything and everything.....

Quote Originally Posted by B.Miller View Post

Been doing installs on the side for 20+ years

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    this is scducks...... ask the question and somebody on here will know something about anything and everything.....
    Guess what I meant is I didn't think many still ran systems. Esp the people on here. ( I do, but seems as most of my buddies get older and have kids they sell theirs.)

Sent from my rooted SAMSUNG Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4.
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke