Thread: el' Numero Dos

Default el' Numero Dos

Rewind back to after the first one was killed on opening day.

two hours after I kill the first, I hook up with two more that seem to be coming in pretty hard. After only ten minutes I see them start to come down the hill, and all of a sudden a hawk swoops down barely edging one of their heads which sends them packing. Frustrated but still the first 4 hours of the season. I opted for lunch and clean my bird.

After lunch I am chaining the gate back behind me to only look up and see two hens hightailing it across the pasture with a nice bird in tow, he didn't see me and was trying to stop in mid run to strut, but the hens kept him trucking. I decided to swing around and set up to see if they would circle back. Found a spot in the hard woods and began my afternoon. After roughly an hour I pick up a gobble. After ten or so minutes, he is within sight. Well wouldn't you know, a hen decides to join from my left which reluctantly went straight for the tom creating his interest in her rather than me, making it that much frustrating. So I decided to sit until six and walk out. When I reached the pasture, sure enough another tom,a jake, and three hens where making there way right to me. So I ninja up to a run off ditch between us, and sit back and wait. Well they get within 40 yards, this time in the fringes of some pine saplings making it impossible to get a shot. They end up crossing the creek and head to roost. I decided to put them to bed and come back in the am.

Sure enough in the morning I get within 60 yards of the tom. I watched him strut on the tree branch. Listened to him and four others hammer at every crow, bird, and sound for 20 minutes. Only to watch him fly right across the creek/ property line to get back up with three hens. I'm raging now, I decide to go opposite to the other birds, but never could get them to answer again.
    Fast forward to yest afternoon. I was walking a hardwood ridge trying to locate one but never could. So I decided to head for a road bed in the pines. Well an hour past and I hear a faint gobble. twenty minutes later, I see that rascal coming straight down the same trail I walked to get set up. Only its late and drawing near roosting time. I knew he was heading to roost, and only came by to check my calling, but after drawing near to 60-70 yards, he just stops, bobs his head for a minute and changes directions. This point I'm screaming in my head because every sit has produced a bird but nothing is closing.

This morning I set up in an area I heard some gobbles last Saturday. Once the crows started I pick up two birds to my left, so I drop and head their direction. I get within 60 or so yards wile they are hammering to again, everything making a noise. Then I hear nothing for ten minutes so I blast the call. Dang!, they are headed towards my initial set up. So i get up to creep that way, only to pick them up strutting among a group of six hens. Again, hen'd up and headed towards the property line.

I decided to go back to the pasture I sat in yest and hope to pick up another group. When I got set up I was able to watch a group of woodies fly in and meander in the pond. Wind picks up, clouds roll in, and so does a gobble. I call he answers back. Ten minutes, I call and he is on the fringe of the field. Then out of no where ol' boy hits the field running to ol' Susie only to be rolled like clock work, with my super duper built A5 with only a sumtoy choke, as soon as he comes to a stop. Didn't even give him time to strut.

20lbs
    11" Beard
    still 1"ers

excelente'!

Last edited by dhall1693; 04-04-2014 at 11:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Very nice.

way to stay after it!

congrats! can't wait to get back after them tomorrow morning.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Way to go!!!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

i like your gun

Good job D....
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Way to go Doug.