Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Dumb Question"...

I saw one in the trading post for sale.

Just sayin'

Why do we love to legislate our freedoms away?

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    So its illegal for me walk around on my "back 40" with a gun after dark? Horseshit.

I have a stabilizer light on my bow. I use it for alot of different things, predominately walking in/out. They're very handy for practicing after dark in the yard. If the kids won't let me get a little shooting in, I can shoot anytime with the light.
    I fully understand the practicing after dark, but it sure seems to be more trouble than it's worth to use it to walk in and out. A headlamp, particularly with a red or green lens, is far more practical, IMO. But whatever works for you...
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

No taking of game with artificial light. Not that hard to understand. Don't push it and you won't get in trouble.
    80-20 Genaration

It's seems unethical, but I don't recall "No taking of game with artifical light" in Chapter 50 of the statues.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I fully understand the practicing after dark, but it sure seems to be more trouble than it's worth to use it to walk in and out. A headlamp, particularly with a red or green lens, is far more practical, IMO. But whatever works for you...
    Its just one less thing I have to carry in the woods. I keep a red lens on my bow light.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    Its just one less thing I have to carry in the woods. I keep a red lens on my bow light.
    Have you used the red lense on hogs? I used one once hunting, and they spooked a little but I quickly got a shot off.

I will not track a deer without taping one to my stabilizer. I have had it save me on a buck I shot right before dark one evening. It was little far back but rain was coming so I rushed the track. I shot him getting out the bed, had I not had the light turned on and arrow knocked, I probably would have lost him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    Have you used the red lense on hogs? I used one once hunting, and they spooked a little but I quickly got a shot off.

I will not track a deer without taping one to my stabilizer. I have had it save me on a buck I shot right before dark one evening. It was little far back but rain was coming so I rushed the track. I shot him getting out the bed, had I not had the light turned on and arrow knocked, I probably would have lost him.
    I have not used it on hogs as we don't have any yet. I've hit many a coon, fox, etc with it and they haven't even looked up. Not sure what a deer would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    No taking of game with artificial light. Not that hard to understand. Don't push it and you won't get in trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    It's seems unethical, but I don't recall "No taking of game with artifical light" in Chapter 50 of the statues.
    A number of years ago when I had packs of coyotes running across the yard at night I talked to the local DNR LEO. He told me I could shoot them after dark provided they were only lit by the outdoor spotlights, but I could not use a flashlight/spotlight/gun light, etc, away from the house or it would be illegal night hunting.

Of course, we at least now have some provision to hunt coyotes at night, but you've got the restriction of calling in 48 hours in advance. Hell, I don't know if a pack of 'yotes is going to run 30' from my front porch at 10pm 48 hours in advance! If they show up I'm going to shoot them, and hope twice that many come to the funeral.

But short of that, I try to be careful about not taking a shot that might keep me out past visual light to track a deer, although I have no doubt if I ran into that monster buck that has eluded us over the years I'd track him by starlight if I had to.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    I guess this means laser sights are illegal for hunting? Wrong.

Honestly, I don't think using a light with a bow is less than fair chase. If a light is used to locate game, I do not consider that fair chase. Shining a field to find game is not fair chase.

However, using a light to insure a better shot seems more ethical than, say, taking a shot with a glowing sight pin in threshold visibility light. To get a deer with a bow, you have to get them in close range, well within the range of their keen senses. To use a light at that point is after the fair chase part of the hunt and then only serves to help insure a more humane kill.

I don't use a light to hunt and have stopped using artificially lighted pins because they can tempt me to take shots later than ideal when I really can't see as well as I should. If using a light was clearly legal, I would have no ethical dilemma. The way I read the regs, using a light during daylight, legal hunting time is legal.

That's correct an animal must be treed or corner to shoot with aid of a light with rimfire and shot #4 or larger. Except for the new coyote and hog laws.

Of course, we at least now have some provision to hunt coyotes at night, but you've got the restriction of calling in 48 hours in advance. Hell, I don't know if a pack of 'yotes is going to run 30' from my front porch at 10pm 48 hours in advance! If they show up I'm going to shoot them, and hope twice that many come to the funeral.

You only have to call in one time per season. You need to tell them who might be hunting but once you report, you're done for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    A green light works the best, followed by red, and then regular white light.
    Any light will spook hogs if you don't condition them first(quickly cutting it on and off like lightning). Once they accept 3-5 seconds of light, go to full draw,get the sight focused on them, and then cut the light on.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 03-27-2014 at 10:22 AM.

The only references I find in the regs concerning artificial lights refers to night hunting. Can anyone find anything in the law that speaks to using artificial light during daytime?

It may have been when the bill passed allowing a landowner or anyone with permission to shine up until 11pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    You only have to call in one time per season. You need to tell them who might be hunting but once you report, you're done for the year.
    I need to reread the new regs, but when you make that call don't you have to specify the property being hunted? So would I just include my property along with the couple hundred acres next door as 'one property'? And since you also have to specify your hunting partners (I think I recall that), how do you handle it if different people hunt at different times?
    ~ George Washington

Legal hunting time for deer is the time be- tween one hour before official sunrise until one hour after official sunset (50-11-710).

Night
    except when treed or cornered with dogs. Devices that amplify light using some type of power source (including night vision and infrared devices) are considered artificial light. No buckshot or any shot larger than a No. 4, or any ammunition larger than .22 rimfire may be used. It is unlawful to use artificial lights at night, except vehicle headlights while traveling in a normal manner on a public road or highway, while in possession of or with immediate access to, both ammunition of a type prohibited for use at night and a firearm capable of firing the ammunition (50-11-710). Rabbit hunting at night without weapons is lawful on private land.

In all game zones, the use of artificial lights for the purpose of observing or harassing wildlife is unlawful, except that a property owner, les- see, or person with written permission from the property owner may use artificial lights to observe wildlife prior to 11:00 PM. This section does not prohibit an owner of real property from using artificial lights for the purpose of protecting the property. This section does not prohibit the use of remote trail monitors or cameras from fixed locations on a property, nor does it prohibit a person or group, with written permission of the landowner or leaseholder of the property, from observing wildlife with the use of artificial lights who is engaged in research or documentary filming (50-11-708). This section does not prohibit a person from lawfully hunting coyotes, armadillos, and hogs at night as provided for by law (See pages 56-57).
    80-20 Genaration

I need to reread the new regs, but when you make that call don't you have to specify the property being hunted? So would I just include my property along with the couple hundred acres next door as 'one property'? And since you also have to specify your hunting partners (I think I recall that), how do you handle it if different people hunt at different times?

This is what I used and it is so easy I didnt even mess it up
    http://www.dnr.sc.gov/nighthunt/index.html
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 03-27-2014 at 12:35 PM.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    A green light works the best, followed by red, and then regular white light.
    Any light will spook hogs if you don't condition them first(quickly cutting it on and off like lightning). Once they accept 3-5 seconds of light, go to full draw,get the sight focused on them, and then cut the light on.
    I've done this with the green light. Accidentally Hit in shoulder and never found it.
    Windows Down!

I did a Westlaw search on any cases (as opposed to statutes) that involve the definition of "night time" and how the court interpreted it. I found no cases on the subject, which IMHO leaves it open to interpretation at the Magistrate Court level on a case-by-case basis. Mind you, many magistrates did not go to law school.

Although, of the two cases I did find, both were out of Williamsburg County and I know several people involved. There, the vehicle that the defendants (who were convicted of night hunting) were driving was seized. They did not own said vehicle. The State can't seize the car, according to the Supreme Court in that scenario, if the true owner had no knowledge.

This is the way I look at it. If I'm walking through the woods with a flashlight in my hand and a rifle on my back, one hour after sunset, then the burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt is on the GW.

On cross examination, I'd ask the GW something like this:

1. Was I shooting the rifle? No
    2. Was I pointing the rifle? No
    3. Was the rifle loaded? Yes
    4. Was it night? Yes
    5. What time is night? 1 hour +/- ...
    6. Did I have the "potential" to be night hunting? YES
    7. Was I arrested for night hunting? YES
    8. Am I a male? Yes
    9. Did I have the "potential" to be Soliciting Prostitution out there? Huh?
    10. Was I arrested for soliciting prostitution out there? Huh?

Jury would get the point...

- A Lawyer
    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." - Jack Nicholson