Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Dumb Question"...

Default "Dumb Question"...

Why would anyone use a 'Stabilizer Light'? What would be legal to hunt at night or with a light, other than coyote or hogs?

Just curious...
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Just yotes and hogs year round
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

There are a lot of folks that use them for deer hunting. The legality or not comes into interpretation of the law. Night is defined as that period of time from one hour after official sunset to one hour before official sunrise. Official sunset comes before it actually gets dark, and you get an hour past that. However as I was told by a GW, that time is for to get back to your truck, so you couldn't sit in the stand til it was one hour after official sunset, then get down to go to your truck because as he said, "if you are going to and from your truck with your bow (or gun), you are hunting, and hunting at that time (defined as night) is night hunting".

Question is, is it legal to use a light to shoot a deer before its "night" as defined by the law....

Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    Question is, is it legal to use a light to shoot a deer before its "night" as defined by the law....

Who knows.
    This question came up as some guys I know use them, it got kind of heated, about it being legal or not. I called DNR in Cola. to ask the question, I talked to several people, apparently going up the chain as I went. When I finally got to someone that could tell me, I said, "I am looking at the regs about night and night hunting", fellow said, "let me get one as well, and we will look together". We did, and he said it was legal, however I may want to carry a copy of the regs just in case I got into it with a GW. I said it's "legal" but not necessarily "ethically right", and he said, " why wouldn't it be ethically right, if it is legal?" I did use it for a time, but was never comfortable with it and quit using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    There are a lot of folks that use them for deer hunting. The legality or not comes into interpretation of the law. Night is defined as that period of time from one hour after official sunset to one hour before official sunrise. Official sunset comes before it actually gets dark, and you get an hour past that. However as I was told by a GW, that time is for to get back to your truck, so you couldn't sit in the stand til it was one hour after official sunset, then get down to go to your truck because as he said, "if you are going to and from your truck with your bow (or gun), you are hunting, and hunting at that time (defined as night) is night hunting".
    Bullshit

Let's say I walk 1 hour to my spot. I have to get out of the stand at sunset???
    Windows Down!

If you are in the woods 1 hour after sunset with a centerfire rifle, shotgun slugs or buckshot you are technically "night hunting".

SC should have offical shooting hours. Those guys that sit until 1 hour after sunset on light nights are technically night hunting walking back to the their vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    Bullshit

Let's say I walk 1 hour to my spot. I have to get out of the stand at sunset???

That would be between you and the man.

What if I walk into my stand more than an hour before sunrise? Am I night hunting?

In SC you are supposed to be back at your vehicle 1 hour after legal sunset. Anything done prior to that is daytime hunting.

I stand corrected-

The law says hunting not shooting.

What retard wrote this law?
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    If you are in the woods 1 hour after sunset with a centerfire rifle, shotgun slugs or buckshot you are technically "night hunting".

SC should have offical shooting hours. Those guys that sit until 1 hour after sunset on light nights are technically night hunting walking back to the their vehicle.
    All of the above describe how I've always interpreted the law, which is why I questioned the use of 'stabilizer lights'. If it's being used to light the path back to the truck, a headlamp is a lot easier to use, etc.

If at 30 minutes after legal sunset it's too dark to see the deer walking in the brush in front of you without a light, IMO, it's too late to take the shot... bow, handgun or rifle.

Edited to add ---> UNLESS you are trailing a previously shot deer, etc, and you need to make a kill shot. Then you do what's right to secure the animal without it suffering.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 03-26-2014 at 07:48 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

That GW is full of crap. I already proved one of his buddies wrong. I can do the same for him.

So its illegal for me walk around on my "back 40" with a gun after dark? Horseshit.

I have a stabilizer light on my bow. I use it for alot of different things, predominately walking in/out. They're very handy for practicing after dark in the yard. If the kids won't let me get a little shooting in, I can shoot anytime with the light.

I have one(kinda of) for recovery.
    I’d like one but I just carry a roll of electrical tape and have a small flashlight I keep in my bag. If I shoot a deer and recovery is not until dark, I tape it on the stabilizer. Ever tried to shoot a bow holding a flashlight, it aint exactly easy, or quick.
    Last edited by buckpro; 03-26-2014 at 12:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Stabilizer lights > pods

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    I have one(kinda of) for recovery.
    I’d like one but I just carry a roll of electrical tape and have a small flashlight I keep in my bag. If I shoot a deer and recovery is not until dark, I tape it on the stabilizer. Ever tried to shoot a bow holding a flashlight, it aint exactly easy, or quick.

Well, what you do is... you either see or hear the deer down there, know generally where it is, come to full draw, turn light on, and well, you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    That GW is full of crap. I already proved one of his buddies wrong. I can do the same for him.
    Well, what did you do?

I walk my property with a gun anytime I feel like it, day or night.

Many folks are fooled into thinking being armed and having a flashlight automatically means you are night hunting. This is only true while traveling in an automobile with a centerfire rifle and ammo or a shotgun with buckshot, it is called prima facie evidence and is explicitly in the regs. Possession of weapons and lights is not illegal or proof of night hunting. A GW would need more than that as evidence to get a conviction for night hunting.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 03-26-2014 at 02:59 PM.

You sit on a hot scrape until midnight. Y'all stop lying to each other.
    \"Go to Know\"