View Poll Results: Do you support this bill?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

70 42.68%
  • no

94 57.32%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Turkey beak?

Hell no! I only wanted to know who put The bow hunter verbiage in the bill because I need a really good lobbyist and it seems like the bow hunters have one.

Change the limit,fine.... Why does everyone insist on fucking with the dates?
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

I do appreciate you asking our opinions.
    I'm still not on board due to the archery tag. It does not sit right with me. I keep trying to play out the scenarios next spring. Will people buy archery equipment early with the understanding they might not need it? Will people practice ahead of time? Will they go for the bow tag first? Will they assume a deer rig will work perfect for turkey hunting? Will they kill three birds by April 23 and then go out and buy a bow last minute?
    Will they just say screw the bow tag? Will they buy a crossbow?
    All I know is that most of the scenarios require buying more stuff to kill one bird.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I suggest they run turkey season from feb1-may 31. Double the limits. keep people off the lake and out of my way. Also decrease the catfish limit in the canal to 1 per boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    I do appreciate you asking our opinions.
    I'm still not on board due to the archery tag. It does not sit right with me. I keep trying to play out the scenarios next spring. Will people buy archery equipment early with the understanding they might not need it? Will people practice ahead of time? Will they go for the bow tag first? Will they assume a deer rig will work perfect for turkey hunting? Will they kill three birds by April 23 and then go out and buy a bow last minute?
    Will they just say screw the bow tag? Will they buy a crossbow?
    All I know is that most of the scenarios require buying more stuff to kill one bird.
    All I know, is that if I were smart, I would open an archery shop in SC, and focus on crossbows.

They are getting a lot of support thrown to them in the business environment.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Finally, we all agree.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    And I'm pretty well educated on politicians...especially South Carolina's. And I've got a pretty solid opinion on many of them.

But Jesus Christ guys, there's one that's willing to seek your input on issues regarding wildlife ON A WILDLIFE FORUM, and all you peckerheads do is spit on him and tell him what he needs to be doing fixing roads, the budget, etc.

Why don't you do something besides bitch and moan like children that didn't get an ice cream cone? Why not get directly involved with these issues instead of just spewing bullshit based babble?
    This site has plenty of good input from folks who know the ins and outs of SC's wildlife scene, and scducks.com gives us a free forum to interact and discuss improvement.
    But the nonsense, worthless dribble of some clutter any meaningful change debates.
    If you don't like the topic at hand, voice a decent mature opinion and be done with it.

It blows my mind sometimes that the vast majority of this site is over the age of 25.
    This blows my mind as well. How many other groups has a politician that ask their opinions on a regular basis. And most of us are not even in his district. Are we always going to agree? No. But stop acting like a bunch of Democrats. Sooner or later he will get pissed and stop asking our opipns and we will lose a major say so in what goes on in our state.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Glenn,
    It don't bother me in the least if you don't agree with the green up timing/gobbling peak hitting the second or third week idea of mine. All I can say is it's been consistent for me for the last 20 years or so since I started paying attention. I don't claim to be a turkey biologist but I'm quite surprised some turkey killers on here don't know more about them, like the ability to lay eggs for weeks off one breeding.

Duck Tape,
    You fellas go on and change the season dates to whenever. I'll just sit back and be here to say "told you so". I corresponded with Ruth a bit on limits a while back. If you boiled it all down it amounted to him saying reducing the limit was the only thing left to try to curb the recruitment downhill slide. That after saying the decline is weather related and with a couple years it could bounce back. I think at this point he'd agree to fall seasons and rifles just to get the limit reduced. But I'm just a dumb old redneck.

Have a great season fellas.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 03-26-2014 at 04:07 PM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Glenn,
    It don't bother me in the least if you don't agree with the green up timing/gobbling peak hitting the second or third week idea of mine. All I can say is it's been consistent for me for the last 20 years or so since I started paying attention. I don't claim to be a turkey biologist but I'm quite surprised some turkey killers on here don't know more about them, like the ability to lay eggs for weeks off one breeding.
    Aw I know it doesn't. I like to talk about things I care about. I care about turkeys. My opinion and $20 will get you a small black coffee at Starbucks.

I killed my first longbeard ever in 1983 in Chambers Co. Alabama on March 15th. 5 bird limit. Early season and LOADED with turkeys. Way more than SC ever thought about having. Season comes in a grunt later up above the Tn river but the latitude difference between central 'bama and here isn't much. Day length. That's it. Period. But I will admit that hunting those henned up rascals the first two weeks will make preachers cuss. I know cuz my uncle is one and I've heard it.

Ducktape-So what is the status of this bill now?

I don't think killing gobblers affects the population, except that yr.

if it ain't broke don't fix it! the increase of predator pressure is the problem!
    "They ain't Alabama. They ain't LSU. And they're certainly not Clemson. That's why Carolina's in Chapel Hill and USC's in California and the university in this state always has been, always will be Clemson."

Why aren't the 64 in favor of this bill not commenting?
    Last edited by Timberman22; 03-26-2014 at 08:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

Y'all go check out mergie's thread on this topic....

It's become very interesting

I am one of the 64 that voted in support of this bill. I like the fact that those of us not in lowcountry will be able to hunt 15 more days a year. With my schedule I'm limited to hunting mostly weekends so why wouldn't I like that? As far as the limits go, I've never killed more than 3 in a season anyway. If I were to tag out early due to the longer dates and less tags then I would hunt with someone else to help them fill their tags. As far as the archery only tag goes.. I don't understand that. I do bowhunt but I just assume they do away with that portion of it. Seems like it would cause more harm than good.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Ducktape-So what is the status of this bill now?
    In full ag committee in house tomorrow. Tues first reading on house floor, no vote. Wed second reading and vote, possible amendments. Thurs third reading. Then Governors office and law.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberman22 View Post
    Why aren't the 64 in favor of this bill not commenting?
    I don't like the archery tag at all. Hardcore archery hunters can be sucessful killing turkeys but forcing everyone else to kill their 4th this method is asking for trouble. I'd rather shoot all 3 or all 4 with a shotgun, but I don't shoot enough turkeys to matter anyways.

My turkey season comes in April so I don't mind the earlier dates.

I can understand the controversy in this though...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Then Governors office and law.
    That's good to know. She just filed for reelection.
    80-20 Genaration

I don't want a bunch of idiots with bows running around in the woods mid-late season. I hunt public land and this scares me. The date change is fine but make it 3 tags.

Them running around with loaded guns is better ?
    80-20 Genaration

So they're wanting to lengthen the season and reduce the number of tags? That's pretty pointless. I'm cool with the number of birds being reduced, but I cant figure out why they want to extend the season. Although, I do wish season would've been in last Sunday morning b/c I had 3 hammering 75 yds from me at daylight that I really wanted to lay the smack down on.