View Poll Results: Do you support this bill?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

70 42.68%
  • no

94 57.32%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkey beak?

the archery tag is to be used for the bird that a game warden does not check you with.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    DJP pretty much spelled out what im thinking. for the diehard bowhunters that kill turkeys with a bow, more power to them. but it takes a dedicated and skilled individual to do what duckman does effectively. turkey hunting is a shotgun sport. archery equipment is a handicap in the wrong hands and does lead to more wounded birds. if someone wants to use a bow, more power to them, but i dont think we should offer an extra archery tag incentive.

Ivan agree with a lot of that. Like I said I don't agree with the archery only tag. How ever there is a place for it in turkey hunting. Not for everyone. You can also flip that. With the number of ducks crippled and lost every year should we law have to hunt with a dog ?
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    Opening the season early in the upstate is going to hurt breeding. That is an important time for gobblers to breed before hunters hit the woods.
    No it won't. And no it isn't. There is zero biological reason/evidence for a split season. None.

And I voted yes but I don't like that goofy archery tag either.

If the biologist want it to be 3, and all these jokers on here were screaming "let the biologist set the seasons/limits" then the limit should be 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    No it won't. And no it isn't. There is zero biological reason/evidence for a split season. None.
    Uh Glenn?
    http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/turke...gseason09.html

"Results of gobbling and nesting studies conducted in the piedmont and coastal plain during the 1970s led to changes in the spring turkey season dates. Based on results from these studies, the Department recommended a statewide season of April 1-May 1 that offers the following benefits over the old March 15-April 15 season: better weather conditions, less disruption in breeding activity, a reduction in inadvertent or illegal hen kill, and the ability to hunt during the longest and most consistent peak in statewide gobbling so that gobblers will have increased responsiveness to hunters' calls."

And if the biologists want it to be 3 then let them have it....as long as we get the sunset clause Duck Tape has mentioned.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 03-24-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Pffff. Bull butter.

And I said zero evidence for a SPLIT season, which your quote doesn't support either.
    Last edited by Glenn; 03-24-2014 at 02:54 PM.

The bow hunting queers sure have some legislators wieners in thief hand... First they get their own deer season... Now they get an extra turkey tag???

And I like the dates we have now.... If the limit needs changing why not change the fuggin limit???two less birds per man and two extra weeks to do it in in upstate... That is living on turkey welfare, Does this make too much sense?
    Last edited by CAMO SNOB; 03-24-2014 at 02:58 PM.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Like the dates as that would certainly extend my hunting time. Don't know I would handle a March 20th opener. Always had my mind focused on April 1st as the time to "get it on". Guessing the adjustment would not be that rough!

I am fine with the new limits. I ain't good enough to whack 5 anyway.

I don't think very many turkey hunters are going to go spend $400 on a bow and learning to shoot it just so they can probably miss, to kill one more turkey. The archery thing gives the hardcore turkey hunters, which are few, an option. Just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.”

Quote Originally Posted by usrgce View Post
    the archery tag is to be used for the bird that a game warden does not check you with.
    underrated post.

Can we make it 2?

Having an archery only tag will only cause a lot of injured birds and unclaimed kills...
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs

Why does it always have to be a "one size fits all" thing? Just about the only thing that the "upstate" and the "low country" have in common is that it is inside the borders of South Carolina. Hell, ain't nothing but a bunch of "lint heads" of there anyhow!

If the biologist think the limit needs to be lowered, then lower it. It is fine if the government wants to tell me what type of weapon I can use on government land, but leave private land alone.

Obamacare of hunting.
    80-20 Genaration

I don't support it. I have some close friends that are commercial hunters in the lowcountry. 3/15 and a 5 bird limit is huge for their business. They will now compete with georgia outfitters because the season will open at about the same time. Mother Nature has more to do with turkey recruitment than a gobbler limit. 90% of hunters don't kill more than 2 anyway.
    \"Go to Know\"

Leave out alone. Hell,give us 4 tags and then you can purchase up to 4 more tags for $40 a piece! Put the money towards conservation
    867-5309

Scrap the archery tag and raise the damn license fee on outastaters.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I personally would not have a bow if they were giving them away. The Indians lost the war using those damn things.
    Last edited by hightech1953; 03-24-2014 at 06:31 PM. Reason: correction
    HRCH Fat Daddy Cash MH
    HRCH Tonka's Rebel Yell MH

BS....Some things you don't fuck with like August 15 and March 15 to be exact!
    There is nothing wrong with the dates, move the upstate whiners to March 15 and problem solved.
    May is for fishing and its to f'in hot to pursue turkeys anyway!
    As for # of birds, 3 or 4 I don't really care.....fine either way.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

It too damn cold to hunt turkey's here in the upstate... And with two less birds, who the hell needs an extended season?
    Last edited by CAMO SNOB; 03-24-2014 at 07:19 PM.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.