Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout for bait?

Default Trout for bait?

Anyone using trout for bait while striper fishing? Always thought it was illegal to use game fish for bait. I stopped by the bait shop on the way to the hill and they had 6"-15" trout for sale.

Yes.

They love them. Some of the largest stripers are caught on them. Fairly common at Hartwell and TN reservoirs.

Planer board and a 12" rainbow is deadly on big stripers
    Windows Down!

Trout take patience. You could fish with four rods and four trout all day unless they get eaten. Long as the waters cool you can't kill them. Poke them in between eyes with a ice pick. The smell/blood is something big rockfish can't stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler_Dave View Post
    Always thought it was illegal to use game fish for bait. I stopped by the bait shop on the way to the hill and they had 6"-15" trout for sale.
    It's not illegal to use game fish as bait so long as the bait fish were taken in a legal manner and you do not have more than the legal limit.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    It's not illegal to use game fish as bait so long as the bait fish were taken in a legal manner and you do not have more than the legal limit.

Or farm raised trout.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Thought they just changed that at least for trout?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Trout to raise the fish. Herring to put them in the boat

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Or farm raised trout.
    Or tax payer funded farm raised trout, non native to the waters they were taken from.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I'm allowed to keep 5 trout per day from Columbia's put and take trout stream.

I can throw them on the bank to flop and gasp for air until they suffocate.

I can take them home and bury them in my garden for fertilizer.

I can give them to a friend.

Or I can knife their gills and watch them die.

But I can't run a hook behind their dorsal fin and use them to catch a big rock fish.

That is against the law as of the year before last.

Trout are non-native and are already eaten by larger rockfish, but the wonderful men at the Saluda River chapter of Trout Unlimited decided that the beautiful little fish shouldn't suffer the pain of a circle hook through their back, or the fright of sudden darkness when a 40lb rockfish inhales them.
    Armed with the trout's best interest in mind, they fought hard for the little guys and now we heartless types can't use bait we've already paid for to catch something that will make the drag scream.

Thanks Trout Unlimited.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Back in the day, they would throw you in jail for using trout to catch rockfish on the Saluda. The limit was also 12 back then as well.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 03-03-2014 at 06:30 PM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

They will make a drag scream thats for sure. I wouldn't use them without a stinger hook.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I'm allowed to keep 5 trout per day from Columbia's put and take trout stream.

I can throw them on the bank to flop and gasp for air until they suffocate.

I can take them home and bury them in my garden for fertilizer.

I can give them to a friend.

Or I can knife their gills and watch them die.

But I can't run a hook behind their dorsal fin and use them to catch a big rock fish.

That is against the law as of the year before last.

Trout are non-native and are already eaten by larger rockfish, but the wonderful men at the Saluda River chapter of Trout Unlimited decided that the beautiful little fish shouldn't suffer the pain of a circle hook through their back, or the fright of sudden darkness when a 40lb rockfish inhales them.
    Armed with the trout's best interest in mind, they fought hard for the little guys and now we heartless types can't use bait we've already paid for to catch something that will make the drag scream.

Thanks Trout Unlimited.
    The biggest fish on the saluda last year was caught on herring, just saying.

Tough keeping those weaklings alive for a few hours.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I crush up an Adderall and put it in the bait tank, makes em look like flying fish.

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    I crush up an Adderall and put it in the bait tank, makes em look like flying fish.
    I never think of cool stuff like that.

Saw your call today, I was in Yemassee eating gas station chicken and forgot to holler back.

Weather was no bueno anyway.

We'll catch up soon.

tell it Bog. Be suprised at some of the bait used on lakes in SC
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    The biggest fish on the saluda last year was caught on herring, just saying.
    How do you get records of the biggest in each river?
    Windows Down!

Yea damn good bait

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    How do you get records of the biggest in each river?
    Because there aren't but about 4 cats that straight slay monster rockfish out there, and folks talk.

Knavin is one bad dude, but he got beat last year.