Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Duct Tape, Common Core legislation?

I don't see anybody else's younguns holding a Math trophy.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post

we dont live on "that side of the tracks" We just get blue ribbons
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

But Common Core is making him dumber... and a Nazi. Or something like that.
    Last edited by turbo; 02-26-2014 at 04:29 PM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Sophie won last night.....just sayin.....
    Founding Member of the Short Mo' Sea Pro Posse

Fuck Purdue

You get your ass kicked for somethin' like that over here.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDgq-K2oYLo[/ame]
    Last edited by Glenn; 02-26-2014 at 04:30 PM.

See that nerve..............it was just struck.

Quote Originally Posted by benman View Post
    Sophie won last night.....just sayin.....
    Keep it up...

We moved here from Va. And there they instituted the "standards of learning" which from what I have read seems to be the same kinda thing as common core. What it ends up doing is that the teachers to teach to a test everyone has the same material to learn. If your child gets it before mine the get to sit there and be bored until the others get it, if they get it. I know they say oh that won't happen but trust me the teachers either are happy they don't need to have any imagination to teach or are frustrated that they are tied down to a singular curriculum. This leaves a lot of time for some kids to get bored with school which will lead them elsewhere. I have dealt with this and I know first hand that it is not a good thing. My girls would be going over the same material time after time waiting for some to catch up. A friend told me the other day when I asked how his son was doing in school....Well everyone can't be equal we need ditch diggers and we need doctors, everyone can't be doctors. But he followed with, the great thing about America is if that ditch digger wants too and works hard and applies himself he can be a doctor! I liked that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    until you sit at a kitchen table and have your kid cry because he knows the answer to a math problem, but gets it wrong because of common core criteria, you will never know the answer.

he is also being punished because his grades have slipped. We have rules, if you dont make good grades, you dont get TV (he only gets 30 min anyway) lose your DS. He is on the verge of not being able to participate in Cub Scouts or Baseball. Yet he can tell me the answer to every math problem in the book.

its like training a puppy. Keep it simple. build concepts and advance. The important thing is to create a LOVE for learning. Show him successes. But beat the crap out of a puppy and see how well he responds.

Do you think my 2nd grader that used to love to do math, who now cries when we do homework, is being instilled with a love for learning?
    Screw that don't punish the boy for being smarter than the creators of common core. If you see that he knows what he is doing, to hell with the grades. Make sure you let the teacher and principal and school board know this as well. Forcing him to do it their way cab screw up his understanding of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Screw that don't punish the boy for being smarter than the creators of common core. If you see that he knows what he is doing, to hell with the grades. Make sure you let the teacher and principal and school board know this as well. Forcing him to do it their way cab screw up his understanding of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
    Oh dont worry, everyone that will answer the phone or is anywhere near their office when i go, knows exactly what our thoughts are.

The problem with backing down on the rules is just that. Backing down. About to go pick him up. Hopefully we can go buy him a new baseball glove.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Here is another example of common core

I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

I agree on all accounts that this method SUCKS. I have a 4th grader in AAP classes who also struggles to work thru the problem the way it is taught...but knows the correct answer.

My 2nd grader is testing NOW for AAP classes, he in Montessori along with my daughter who is in kindergarten.

None of it makes any damn sense and the wife and I both struggle to "help" my 4th grader thru the problems.

I remember the first time I tried to show him how I worked thru some of this and he told me no way was he allowed to work thru and get the answer that way.

Bullshit

I am almost tired of being a participating parent in the schools thru volunteering my time and efforts. I am way past tired of seeing the struggles that shouldn't be there.
    Last edited by GBelly; 02-26-2014 at 07:57 PM.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

math used to be about right and wrong. now it is about effort. I had to repeat algebra 1 in fucking high school because I only turned in 3 pieces of homework all fucking year. I had one test/quiz grade below 90 and A's on midterms and finals. I could do quadratic equations in my head. Go fucking figure. I lost my interest then and that was 1987.
    Last edited by mello_collins; 02-26-2014 at 08:15 PM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    I agree on all accounts that this method SUCKS. I have a 4th grader in AAP classes who also struggles to work thru the problem the way it is taught...but knows the correct answer.

My 2nd grader is testing NOW for AAP classes, he in Montessori along with my daughter who is in kindergarten.

None of it makes any damn sense and the wife and I both struggle to "help" my 4th grader thru the problems.

I remember the first time I tried to show him how I worked thru some of this and he told me no way was he allowed to work thru and get the answer that way.

Bullshit

I am almost tired of being a participating parent in the schools thru volunteering my time and efforts. I am way past tired of seeing the struggles that shouldn't be there.
    My thoughts exactly. I honestly don't have an issue with the rest of the subjects but that damn math is impossible.

I taught my boy multiplication using his hands and he was knocking it out of the park. Teacher said they couldn't use their hands because that shows that they don't know them. In my mind it shows that he understands the concept of multiplication and the memorization part will come with time
    Last edited by quack head 11; 02-26-2014 at 08:31 PM.

All math is learned knowledge, all except that matrix bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post

There ya go

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post

Whats the answer?

I got that wrong too

Default CC

Math whiz of the week at his school...

NOW - that said - my wife also teaches 4th grade and they had to be present for a school-sanctioned promotion of Common Core a few weeks back and they had almost NO parents show up. It was all an attempt by the administration to sell it to an audience that is smart enough not to buy that crap. The teachers know it's crap and are handcuffed into having to teach by those "standards". Turbo, your wife ain't as old as mine (she's in her 19th year) so believe me when I tell you this is something that's changed in the past several years.

And you know what else - after all of this - students these days are allowed, and in some cases even encouraged, to use calculators. Now damn if that ain't something.
    Simple your's doesn't have as many as mine in the classroom, 37yrs. with a Masters and she says it is horseshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    Whats the answer?

I got that wrong too
    Hell, nobody knows yet. I am waiting to hear

Turbo ask your wife if she thought "No child left behind" was a good idea. All this gets back to having a standard that must be met to procede to the next grade, they keep dumbing it down so that greater numbers can be shown, on a piece of paper, to have met the standards. The required paper work for the teachers to maintain is so large that it takes away time to actually teach.