Thread: sweet potatoes

Default sweet potatoes

what do you paleo folks do with sweet potatoes? before you go and post a link to some paleo cookbook web site.....spare me. I just want to know some various ideas about what to do with a sweet potato other than bake it or oven fries. my kids like 'em but we need some variety.

thanks
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I give them to my dentist as a gift at the holidays.

sweet potato hash browns and a fried egg and roaseted sweet potato stacks are a staple

i've tried a spicy sweet potato soup, but it didn't turn out right...never tried it again

cook your yam and stuff it with chicken and pineapple...you'll be surprised!

Grate 'em into a bowl. One egg per tater. Add fresh cracked pepper and cinnamon. Mix that up good.

pan, med heat, add some grease (I use bacon) and drop a wad of that mix into it like a cake. Fry that rascal till crisp on both sides. Salt AFTER it is cooked if you want.

Serve it with a fried egg on top of it.

We actually mix and match them in Mashed potatoes, SP, and a dang rutabaga can change your thoughts on mashed taters.

I love the old fried sweet tater, longways slice, fry in pan as if it were a squash....good for any side, of any meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Grate 'em into a bowl. One egg per tater. Add fresh cracked pepper and cinnamon. Mix that up good.

pan, med heat, add some grease (I use bacon) and drop a wad of that mix into it like a cake. Fry that rascal till crisp on both sides. Salt AFTER it is cooked if you want.

Serve it with a fried egg on top of it.
    I like the way this sounds.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Slice em, wrap em in bacon, and bake em. Tried that not long ago, and, well, some things are great wrapped in bacon.

I like mine nuked with real butter on them. Sometimes I'll mash em with a little local honey and butter.

Cut into 1" cubes, drizzle with melted coconut oil and sprinkle with cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Then bake at 500 until crisps on the edges.
    there is not a thing wrong with 3 woodies a day!!!

Another - cube 'em, do the same with a Granny Smith Apple or two. Throw some bacon pieces in a pan, fry em for the grease, then throw the yams and apples in there until they are caramelized.

Oooooo. You just blew my mind.

Grilled:

(1) slice longways into fat steak fries... with a fat potato, I usually get 6 or 8 triangle-shaped fries;
    (2) boil in water for 4-5 minutes, but do not let them soften
    (3) remove from water, and pat dry
    (4) brush olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste
    (5) grill over medium/medium-high heat until desired doneness. I usually put nice grill marks on each flesh side.

You are welcome.
    Last edited by ThreeStrikes; 02-21-2014 at 02:13 PM.

My wife cubes them along with chicken and onions. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with thyme, S&P. bake onions and sweet potatoes for 20 minutes, add cubed chicken and bake for another 20 minutes. damn tasty

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Oooooo. You just blew my mind.

It's what's for breakfast.