Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Cat Rising

Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    Her is your answer to "save a catfish". Catfish is by far the most important fish as far as economic impact is concerned. Catfish bring about $8,000,000 to our area, money is not just for guides and landings.
    Hush yo mouf, money does not make the world turn....
    Last edited by Dook; 02-19-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Yeah...shocking that some still don't understand that fact. Guessing that they are still young and have not figured that out yet

Wish Clarendon County would use that 8 million to reduce their debt and property taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Wish Clarendon County would use that 8 million to reduce their debt and property taxes.
    What and not blame a natural resource for all of the wasteful spending?

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

Her is your answer to "save a catfish". Catfish is by far the most important fish as far as economic impact is concerned. Catfish bring about $8,000,000 to our area, money is not just for guides and landings.
    8,000,000...really, a whole 8million....our school system uses more thank that in toilet paper in a year....put another zero or two on it and iyou might have something there
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Have yall actually looked around the lakes at the homes and businesses, can you smell the stinch of a decaying economy?

It is interesting how many people will bash what others have done, but when it is time to speak up or take action during the discussions, nobody will be there.

For those who really care, do a little research and find out when these PUBLIC meeting are happening, and GO to them. Do your homework first and voice your opinion. Talk to your representative, talk to biologist at DNR, talk to santee cooper....these guys/gals will answer your questions. But be prepared with real facts, not what cousin Bill says.

Most of the time you can find out when/where these meeting are just by looking on here. But just like the plant management meetings, not many scduckers attended. Normally the loudest voices are heard and their issues are the ones that get the attention. Getting on a chat room, after the fact, does zero good.
    I've gone to MANY meetings and leave most with a good feeling, but ultimately should have used my time somewhere else. Until true biologist that actually care are in charge of the lakes NOTHING will happen. The best interest of the lakes have to #1 and as long as gooberment and Santee Cooper is in charge then nothing will change. I'm going to call Mr. Eddy Southard(known him 38 years) and ask what the intention is of this bill. Problem is it become a law by using this route and what if the catfish take over in 2 years and eat every fucking fish in the lakes? What studies have been done?? These lakes was turned into a biological desert over time and it's going to take time to fix, but there has to be a MASTER plan. Not a quick fix

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Have yall actually looked around the lakes at the homes and businesses, can you smell the stinch of a decaying economy?

Yeah, it smells a lot like a pile of rotting cormorants, sitting in a stagnant mudhole.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Yeah, it smells a lot like a pile of rotting cormorants, sitting in a stagnant mudhole.
    I like that....I just got a picture in my head.

The senator from my area claims to be for sportsman and gun rights but voted against constitutional carry as well as the bill about CWP in bars. You'd be wasting your paper or breath to contact him. Dang Democrats!
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by TRASHDUCK View Post
    Problem is it become a law by using this route and what if the catfish take over in 2 years and eat every fucking fish in the lakes?
    What if Aliens invade? Your vegas odds are better.

Geez muthafuckin manelli.

What do you personally know of the quality of bass, bream, crappie, or any other fishing at Santee Cooper? When is the last time you wet a hook for any species of fish in the cooper lakes? I fished there last summer one time - with much success for Bass and a few brimps.

Catdaddy and or Artsmellyfish, please share a picture of your last bass outing at Santee.

Bogster, Please share your spring 13 pics of the brimps please sir.

Jab, Post up Murdochs stripers from last year. .

I am sure there are many other fisherman with successful outings at what you try to label as a "mudhole".....

Step out of your personal box, and think about the lake as a whole, not what YOU want to do, what EVERYONE wants to do. Then a flo chart, Flood Control, Power, and Recreation. Decide how far up the food chain a sportsmans view is, and let that resinate.

I want to enjoy our states fisheries for years to come. Some small minded people think about tomorrow, (you know Americas instant gratification crowd) very few think about 10 years from now, and less 20, and less 30.

It is a state and privately owned watershed.

You dont have to go there.

What do you personally know of the quality of bass, bream, crappie, or any other fishing at Santee Cooper? When is the last time you wet a hook for any species of fish in the cooper lakes? I fished there last summer one time - with much success for Bass and a few brimps.

Catdaddy and or Artsmellyfish, please share a picture of your last bass outing at Santee.

Bogster, Please share your spring 13 pics of the brimps please sir.

Jab, Post up Murdochs stripers from last year. .

I am sure there are many other fisherman with successful outings at what you try to label as a "mudhole".....

Step out of your personal box, and think about the lake as a whole, not what YOU want to do, what EVERYONE wants to do. Then a flo chart, Flood Control, Power, and Recreation. Decide how far up the food chain a sportsmans view is, and let that resinate.

I want to enjoy our states fisheries for years to come. Some small minded people think about tomorrow, (you know Americas instant gratification crowd) very few think about 10 years from now, and less 20, and less 30.

It is a state and privately owned watershed.

You dont have to go there.
    ehh..... ive got about 8 dozen pics of boat loads of these elusive catfish that are so drastically dwindling in numbers... what do you know of the health of blue cats?

yes, many people have successful outing in each type of fishing.... obviously, that doesnt matter.

80% of the fish are caught by 20% of the people.....guess who is the majority.

What do you personally know of the quality of bass, bream, crappie, or any other fishing at Santee Cooper? When is the last time you wet a hook for any species of fish in the cooper lakes?
    We owned a house on Marion, in Eutawville for many years. Fishing and hunting was incredible. Guides, and commercial fishermen had plenty. Nobody fucked with anybody. You could catch bream until you were out of crickets. There was no end to the opportunities for any species. There was a BASS tournament practically every weekend.

Come duck season, and it was a dove shoot, with full limits of big ducks. No settling for buffleheads and such.

Que the invasive patrol, the scorched earth policy concerning aquatic weeds, and subsequent decade of droughts. Duck hunting sucks ass. Fishing, well I havent had any problems finding catfish. The lakes are pretty much bare with the exception of CFH.

I fish the lakes now, when I dont want to burn the fuel to go to the coast. I havent had any problems finding the catfish. I am not sure what the problem these guides are having, but I have to stop because I cant clean that many. Maybe I should become a catfish guide....? Naw, I cant do that, then when I out caught the current guides, they would lobby their Rep to have me run out of business too, just like they have do to the commercial fishermen...

I fished there last summer one time - with much success for Bass and a few brimps.
    Define success. Every kid gets a trophy success?

Why didnt you fish for the fabled Arkansas Blue? It is such a grand sport fish, full of delicious white meat, and all.
    Last edited by BigBrother; 02-19-2014 at 02:32 PM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    80% of the fish are caught by 20% of the people.....guess who is the majority.
    Fact. Those 20% havent seen a problem with their catch ratios either.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    ehh..... I've got about 8 dozen pics of boat loads of these elusive catfish that are so drastically dwindling in numbers... what do you know of the health of blue cats?

yes, many people have successful outing in each type of fishing.... obviously, that doesn't matter.
    I don't think I ever said they were "elusive". Some places they are plentiful, some places they just are.

You are a fish sticking dude, I enjoy your pics, that is for sure. I am sure you see many species of fish in your night time outings. I am sure the lake to you is way more "alive" than some folks think it is.

I dont know much about a blue cats health, I know they eat, they grow, and share many lakes, with many gamefish.

Fact. Those 20% havent seen a problem with their catch ratios either.
    I have never found issues finding blue cats...I can fill a boat with em...rod and reel or bow....I haven't caught a stud whitebass in years and years and dont recall ever having to work so hard to find keeper size bream fish. I am pretty good at it and work hard to catch em. Case in point, a few years ago we fished the sc ducks bream tourney with argueably some of the best panfishers on the site. I seen everybodys catch and there were good numbers but out of all the boats combined there probably wasn't 20-30 of what I would consider a keeper fish.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBallin View Post
    I have never found issues finding blue cats...I can fill a boat with em...rod and reel or bow....I haven't caught a stud whitebass in years and years and dont recall ever having to work so hard to find keeper size bream fish. I am pretty good at it and work hard to catch em. Case in point, a few years ago we fished the sc ducks bream tourney with argueably some of the best panfishers on the site. I seen everybodys catch and there were good numbers but out of all the boats combined there probably wasn't 20-30 of what I would consider a keeper fish.
    bwahaha. yea, and you caught a damn catfish on a cricket....

Define success. Every kid gets a trophy success?

Why didn't you fish for the fabled Arkansas Blue? It is such a grand sport fish, full of delicious white meat, and all.

Success, I left rocks pond with my partner, I fished a spot there I know with a few dinks. I went down the canal, to my favorite dead spot. I saw some shad being tossed. I tied on a white spook, and caught 3 or 4 2-3lbers.

I messed around with a coffee lizard in another dead spot, and picked up one or 2 off of a rock bed.

I drove all the way to the blow out, to fish one 100 yard bank that i have fished since i was old enough to stand, I took my yellow floater out, and I caught 4, the biggest being around 5.6lbs.

My partner wanted some titty brimps, so we eased up in the flats near there with some sun baked crickets. Caught 5 or 6, and headed back to rocks pond.

You may mistake me for something I am not. I have fished enough, with enough different people to figure out success is definitely different for different people.

I dont have to limit out with "hawgs" to be successful. I dont have to kill a limit of ducks to consider a hunt successful either. My success is personal. Not a single yahoo on this board can measure, or weigh my success rates. Nor do I care, nor need them too.

I catfish down there with my uncle and family, its a big group family thing. We will go once every year, have not been since summer of 12. But why would I? I can go my local lakes within the hour, and troll shad for big blues and release them into some grease.