Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Westminster for those who give a shit

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    'Fluoride poisoning'-Yep that's it. Just don't use no BLEACH to kill germs. It will hurt ya. All kiddin aside I hope it all works out after raising GOLDEN'S for over 40/yrs. WE done
    40 years???

Hell, I didn't think you'd made it to 20 years old yet. How about that...
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    First time I have seen a Boykin there, and a hunting ESS won 4th place in sporting dog.
    That's no field bred springer. I bet that sumbitch wouldn't hunt for a biscuit, much less a bird.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Glad I ain't 20 again.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    http://slimdoggy.com/when-did-overwe...he-new-normal/

Take a look at this and tell me how or why this is a good representation of a Lab. It's fucked up and wrong to the dog.
    AMEN.
    Proud owner of 3 AKC.Bench Champion MASTER HUNTERS

http://slimdoggy.com/when-did-overwe...he-new-normal/

Take a look at this and tell me how or why this is a good representation of a Lab. It's fucked up and wrong to the dog.
    Because that's what the AKC, the authority on purebred dogs in the U.S. says a lab is supposed to look like and there's nothing "wrong" or "fucked up" about that dog. Just because you don't like how it looks, doesn't make either of those true, any more than saying a wide receiver is better representation of a football player than a fullback is. You could make your same argument about the overbred, field-trial type "labs" that have pointy noses and half-cocked ears like a collie. I've seen plenty of supposed "labs", that conform to no type of standard and wouldn't stand out from a typical mutt at the pound, yet somehow manage to get AKC registration.

There are current Ch./MH labs, so making the argument that a dog built like that can't hunt, is simply false. Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to have a show bred lab that is also a fine hunting dog.

Quote Originally Posted by stro View Post
    Because that's what the AKC, the authority on purebred dogs in the U.S. says a lab is supposed to look like and there's nothing "wrong" or "fucked up" about that dog. Just because you don't like how it looks, doesn't make either of those true, any more than saying a wide receiver is better representation of a football player than a fullback is. You could make your same argument about the overbred, field-trial type "labs" that have pointy noses and half-cocked ears like a collie. I've seen plenty of supposed "labs", that conform to no type of standard and wouldn't stand out from a typical mutt at the pound, yet somehow manage to get AKC registration.

There are current Ch./MH labs, so making the argument that a dog built like that can't hunt, is simply false. Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to have a show bred lab that is also a fine hunting dog.

Authority ? So if "They" say a lab is suppose to be 50 lbs over weight then that how they should look ? Never said that you can't have both. These labs are not what they should be they are what show people have turned them into. Look up the history of English lab. They look nothing like the lab at Westminster. We're having a training day this Saturday bring your labs out and show us what you got.
    80-20 Genaration

Yea, Chessies and Brittanys.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Yea, Chessies and Brittanys.
    I didn't say chessies and brittanys, I said labs. Feel free to google it if you don't believe me.

If you don't think that the AKC is bad for field-bred dogs(and that there is becoming a definite split in labs), you need to pull your head out of your ass/sand.

Authority ? So if "They" say a lab is suppose to be 50 lbs over weight then that how they should look ? Never said that you can't have both. These labs are not what they should be they are what show people have turned them into. Look up the history of English lab. They look nothing like the lab at Westminster. We're having a training day this Saturday bring your labs out and show us what you got.
    Not sure where you're coming up with 50 lbs or why you think a short, stocky, heavy boned and muscled dog is overweight- most male dogs built like that are ~75 lbs. I agree that they don't look like what labs used to look like, but neither does any other breed of dog for that matter. Dog breeds are entirely man made, and over time looks change. Your standard and opinion of what a lab is "supposed to look like" is just as contrived as the AKC standard. Most "breeds" looked like straight mutts back in the day. Go back far enough, you've a bunch of gray-haired canines running around chasing bison.

Not sure where you're coming up with 50 lbs or why you think a short, stocky, heavy boned and muscled dog is overweight- most male dogs built like that are ~75 lbs. I agree that they don't look like what labs used to look like, but neither does any other breed of dog for that matter. Dog breeds are entirely man made, and over time looks change. Your standard and opinion of what a lab is "supposed to look like" is just as contrived as the AKC standard. Most "breeds" looked like straight mutts back in the day. Go back far enough, you've a bunch of gray-haired canines running around chasing bison.
    A Chessie has looked like this for quite a long time.

This is what a lab has looked like for a long time.

Here's what a proper bred Springer has looked like for a couple hundred years too.

Go back and click on the link and look at the pics. You tell me that that dog that was shown at Westminster is a good representation of a lab ? That is fat and unhealthy and is no way a good standard for a lab. If you or anyone else including the morons at AKC think it is shame on you. That dog would have a blown out knee or heart attack if it had to pick up 3 marks and run a blind.
    80-20 Genaration

I don't have a problem with either one of my dogs looks. Hunting Retriever Champions, 500 pt club MH, Grand pass . Doing what they were bread to do. And they look more like the English labs when they first came here which tells me there more "standard" than the Show dogs of today.

80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by gundogguru View Post
    I have 3 show champion Master Hunters. So what's your point?

They haven't done to the Wirehair what they have to the Lab.
    80-20 Genaration

Or Springers, or Goldens, or cockers, or Setters, or....

[QUOTE=stro;1635061]Not sure where you're coming up with 50 lbs or why you think a short, stocky, heavy boned and muscled dog is overweight- most male dogs built like that are ~75 lbs. QUOTE]

Why should "short" or "Stocky" or "Heavy Boned" have anything to do with it ?And show me any muscle on this Westminster prize lab ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    80-20 Genaration

First off I have been in the dog world 25 years. Thats with the AKC I have show dogs (I don't Show ) I am a Licensed AKC pointing judge. Its not the fault of the AKC what happens to a breed of dogs its the parent clubs fault. The AKC doesn't set standards the parent club does.I have the English style or show lab. Mine are by no means as big as the dogs you see on tv. There is no way in hell I would keep a dog in the shape It's not health for the dog and know body is going to change my mind on that ever. With that being said there are 2 diffreant type of show dogs. There are your Open show dog and a specials type. What you see on TV are the specials type those dogs do nothing but show period. There are a few exceptions but not many. I for one can't figure out why the lab club of America lets the judges and breeders get away with the way labs look like today in the ring. I personally don't like it and will never let one of my dogs get that big just to have it shown. And there are 2 types of Labs today the English style and the American field bred. style.As far as the Wirehairs go we as a club have not let anybody change our standards very much since 1959. There has been people try but the parent club has done a good job. Not so much with the Lab club. Just my 2 cents.
    Proud owner of 3 AKC.Bench Champion MASTER HUNTERS

There is no split in the American Water Spaniels, either; no such thing as "field bred" and "show bred".
    I agree, AKC judges (most of whom don't hunt and are even against hunting) have royally screwed up Labs, Golden's, Springer's, Flat Coat's, Curly Coat's, American Cockers (oh my God!!!), Irish Setters, Gordon Setters, and a whole bunch more good breeds.
    Professor
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)

The split in labs is huge. With the number of labs participating in dog events, there are very very few CH MH, and no current Dual Ch (haven't been in a long time). But go back and look at some pics of one, and you'll see they look much more like the field bred labs of today. There are some nice show bred dogs in field events, but they come from relatively few lines. Chessies haven't split too much yet, and I hope they never do. I've been fortunate to train with a couple Dual ch chessies. Except for maybe some fake pictures, I doubt the labs at Westminster have ever seen a duck blind.

Quote Originally Posted by mjiorle View Post
    doubt the labs at Westminster have ever seen a duck blind.

I'd bet the farm they haven't. Only things those dogs have seen is a biscuit and a brush......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.