Thread: "Fake" Mashed Potatoes

Default "Fake" Mashed Potatoes

• Rutabega (1)
    • Turnips (3-4)
    • Carrots (4-6)
    • Garlic (4-6 cloves)
    • Real bacon bits (I used 1/2 a pack of the pre-prepped stuff)
    • 1/2 cup of butter
    • 1c Greek yogurt (or chicken stock for strict Paleo)
    I could have used chicken broth to help thicken it up; however I strayed and used Greek yogurt. I know; shame on me.

Anyway, boil the rutabega, turnips, carrots, & garlic. I let it go for about 40 minutes. Drain. Add rest of ingredients and mix.

The stuff is pretty damned good and tastes very similar to mashed taters.

Lately I've been doing a meat and two/three veggie sides without much creativity. This is a nice change of pace and I've gone to seek out many different websites to help me out.

So, if you want something different that's nearly as good as good ole mashed potatoes, give it a try; doubt you'll be sorry.

You lost me at rutabaga...

Quote Originally Posted by Meathook View Post
    You lost me at rutabaga...
    For serious...

If they had been served to me, I would have been clueless as to what it was. My 1st thought would be potatoes of some sort.

I've had mashed potatoes about 3x in the last 1.5 years. Hell...maybe I've just forgotten what they taste like.

My f.i.l. could fix the best rutabagas, I know he did it for me because his children barely touched them. My father would try them and never had the heart to tell him they just weren't quite as good. Thankfully I did not have to tell him to give up on chitterlings.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.