Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: boykin

Default boykin

i am thinking about gettin a boykin and i was wondering some of yalls experience with them compared to a lab. i hunt some swamps and small rivers but also hunt alot of big water i was wondering how well they would hold up in a strong current
    thanks

Use the search function man. Search on it and you can read for days if you wanted to. This subject has been beaten to pulp. Lab lovers will stay true to their breed and boykin owners will sing their praises. Both breeds are great and come with their own advantages and disadvantages.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

thanks man that what i been doing for a while just thought i would throw it out there again and see if any new infomation is out there

Default Boykin

I have a Boykin & a Lab and in my experience with the hunting I do, in the dove field and for marsh hens I like the Boykin. They take the heat better than a lab. In duck, goose hunting in all conditions my lab does a better job, they take the cold, rough water conditions better. I take them both to Nodak for pheasants and it's a toss up, they both get the job done. I trained both my dogs and what ever short comings they have is my fault. A lab will be easier to train, they take correction better and respond faster. If you buy either be sure to check out the bloodlines, there is a better chance of finding a good lab than Boykin. I'm sorry to be so long winded but when I have to replace either dog I will get another Boykin, they just have a special place in my heart for the little brown dog.

thanks for the input we are still deciding, this new dog will be mainly for my wife but something i can use for ducks and geese also. i will be doing most of the training on what ever we decide on i have not ever trained a gun dog. but i have trained several stock dogs (cow dogs), i do have a friend that owns a kennel and raises both boykins and labs here in the lowcountry that will help with some of the fine tuning. we are wanting to start going to some field trials and hunt test with. so im sure it will be an adventure either way we decide to go. thanks again

If you train the dog it will become yours. Did it with the family dog at my house. She doesn't listen to my wife at all, and it's her dog.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Ever thought about an American Water Spaniel; the breed that started the Boykin? More cold tolerant than a Boykin and will retrieve/flush anything.
    Professor
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)

no i havent but we will look into that also right now we are wanting to keep our options open and not get in a rush in order to make the right choice .

Quote Originally Posted by duckpappy View Post
    i am thinking about gettin a boykin and i was wondering some of yalls experience with them compared to a lab. i hunt some swamps and small rivers but also hunt alot of big water i was wondering how well they would hold up in a strong current
    thanks
    Why are you considering getting a Boykin? It's an easy choice because a lab is better in every category than a Boykin is (speed, brains, trainability, etc), and if the small size of a Boykin is attractive to you, then get a small lab. Just ask any dog trainer, and 99.99/100 would agree with this statement. I guess Boykins actually are better in one area because I think they shed less. Good luck in whatever you choose!

Boykins are some damn good dogs. I prefer labs because I believe their size gives them advantages in timber and marsh situations, not to mention handling geese etc. In my view it's just less strain on the larger animal.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I've seen a 25lb Boykin manhandle a live goose. The same dog can catch squirrels and flying doves.

15 year emotional investment. I am sure there are exceptions, but Boykins are not goose or big/cold water dogs.

thanks for the input we are still deciding, this new dog will be mainly for my wife but something i can use for ducks and geese also. i will be doing most of the training on what ever we decide on i have not ever trained a gun dog. but i have trained several stock dogs (cow dogs), i do have a friend that owns a kennel and raises both boykins and labs here in the lowcountry that will help with some of the fine tuning. we are wanting to start going to some field trials and hunt test with. so im sure it will be an adventure either way we decide to go. thanks again
    If you're about to start watching labs and Boykins in hunt tests, then the differences will be obvious to you. Just notice that while Boykins are spastic, and appear to move quickly, they definitely slow the test down considerably because they are very slow compared to labs. Also, you won't see Boykins in field trials, and there is a reason for that!
    Last edited by buckfarmer; 02-01-2014 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I've seen a 25lb Boykin manhandle a live goose. The same dog can catch squirrels and flying doves.
    She sure as hell can. Kate is the biggest reason I now love Boykins!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

would you buy a two wheel drive truck strictly for off road?
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

no i havent but we will look into that also right now we are wanting to keep our options open and not get in a rush in order to make the right choice .
    I don't know where you are, but why don't you come to Wedgefield to see my AWS work. He just might change your mind about any other breed period.
    At 44 pounds, he will run over a Mallard to pick up a goose.
    Professor
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    If you train the dog it will become yours. Did it with the family dog at my house. She doesn't listen to my wife at all, and it's her dog.
    Very true
    Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    I've never seen a place of folks who are so dependant on old wives tales to control their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    would you buy a two wheel drive truck strictly for off road?
    This^^

You can duck hunt with a 410 if you're looking for a challenge, but why would you?
    Last edited by buckfarmer; 02-01-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Without trashing another breed I'm goin with a Lab. Just get what suits your style.
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    I don't know where you are, but why don't you come to Wedgefield to see my AWS work. He just might change your mind about any other breed period.
    At 44 pounds, he will run over a Mallard to pick up a goose.
    Professor
    thanks guys we are still looking we have plenty of time to figure it all out i do really appreciate all the advice. professor we may be getting in touch with you to do that some time