Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cinnamon @ Savannah River?

I killed two back in 1990. The place was in a tank in Texas while shooting sand hill cranes. No pic but they made a turd.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Yeah......show me the proof that's Savannah, GA.
    What kind of proof would convince you? Do you want me to poach it and hold it up in front of the welcome to Georgia sign? I don't really care if you believe me or not. I will say a photographer told us where he was and said he has been there every day for about a week.

Yep I would def go Gamo his ass tomorrow. Just sayin.

I love those little birds. Only seen a handful in my life and only one in the hand.

They pissed me off this year. They start showing back up around the middle of Jan out here. I missed on bigger than shit on the 12th. Thought for sure I had at least one nailed down for the last weekend. Found some the Monday before the season closed and hunted that same spot Saturday and Sunday, but they never showed back up. I did kill one in Sept. though.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

weather delay today. I'm abt to go stir crazy already. I'ma run over to the refuge and have a look see... hold tight. now if I can find where I put those damn pellets....
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

They kill one or two in Florida almost every year.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Talked to local bird watcher, she said she sees them a lot near cape Canaveral at a local refuge in North east Florida.
    "Pass it on in the name of Conservation"-Tracy Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    He must be a very lonely boy hanging out with all that trash...
    Funny you say that. They call them cinni-spoons out here and regard them as glorified shovelers. They are a beautiful bird but most folks in Cali consider them as a trash duck. They'd shoot GWT over cinnimons. At the same time people get all crazy and worked up over a blue winged teal here because they're much less common!
    Last edited by Ring King; 01-29-2014 at 10:33 AM.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dcmbsc View Post
    Talked to local bird watcher, she said she sees them a lot near cape Canaveral at a local refuge in North east Florida.
    That would have to be Black Point. It holds massive amounts of pintails, mottleds, and widgeon, but I have a hard time believing that she sees the "a lot" there as they are still an uncommon bird in Florida. I guess stranger things have happened though. There was an immature king eider drake hanging off the beach in Pensacola two years ago!

I killed one on my first trip to arkansas. It was only my third year duck hunting, so I had no idea how special it was to shoot one. Cleaned the SOB and ate him right along with the other ducks. I still kick myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    I have a hard time believing that she sees the "a lot" there as they are still an uncommon bird in Florida.
    a lot means more than one
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

That would have to be Black Point. It holds massive amounts of pintails, mottleds, and widgeon, but I have a hard time believing that she sees the "a lot" there as they are still an uncommon bird in Florida. I guess stranger things have happened though. There was an immature king eider drake hanging off the beach in Pensacola two years ago!
    Florida keeps on looking better and better...
    "Pass it on in the name of Conservation"-Tracy Byrd

Funny you say that. They call them cinni-spoons out here and regard them as glorified shovelers. They are a beautiful bird but most folks in Cali consider them as a trash duck. They'd shoot GWT over cinnimons. At the same time people get all crazy and worked up over a blue winged teal here because they're much less common!
    ^this. Used to kill quite a few when I lived in SoCal. In fact, we kept one as a pet that was wing tipped. Until one day in the summer when we were playing in the pool and someone let our Lab out who promptly retrieved it. Talk about some unhappy kids.

Now kill a wood duck on the west coast and you will see some folks getting all worked up.

There used to be a few that showed up in the ponds at Patriots Point Golf Course. They ARE occasional visitors to SC. According to the biologist last week, there were a couple seen at Murphy and The Cape this year.

I shot a couple down in Argentina.

Regarding their close relationship with shovelers... I have heard that cinnamon teal AND blue wing teal are more closely related to spoonies than to greenwing teal.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Despite what all you naysayers believe (read, that asshole Fish, hehehe), I've seen one in person. Kilt by some folks on a draw hunt at Bear Island. I didn't take a picture, because it wasn't my kill, and it didn't occur to me to start taking pictures of other folks' ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    There used to be a few that showed up in the ponds at Patriots Point Golf Course. They ARE occasional visitors to SC. According to the biologist last week, there were a couple seen at Murphy and The Cape this year.

I shot a couple down in Argentina.

Regarding their close relationship with shovelers... I have heard that cinnamon teal AND blue wing teal are more closely related to spoonies than to greenwing teal.
    Those you shot in Argentina were also a sub-species of the Cinnamon if you want to get all technical and all
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

True dat. Doesn't matter that much to me. There are several subspecies of white tail deer in South Carolina alone.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

We kill one or two a year on Blalock but oddly none on Bowen.

Old Gerber Mill pond in Pelzer holds a few...
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken