Thread: 1542 duracraft transom repair

Default 1542 duracraft transom repair

Ive got a 1542 welded duracraft and the transom is in need of some TLC. Boat has been great but ive incorrectly trailered a heavy motor for too long. Welds have been cracked and repaired and i had 2 - 1/4" thick aluminum plates welded to the transom where the motor mounts to help distribute the weight a little better. Bad move. It got a little hot and the aluminum drew in below the plates and i now have stress cracks forming where it drew in. My question is can I get a new aluminum skin added to the transom or should i get the transom replaced? Is it possible to simply cut the thing off and replace it? Thanks.
    \"Go to Know\"

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

need pics but yes they can be replaced.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Cut out old welds and weld again.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by FBT View Post
    Ive got a 1542 welded duracraft and the transom is in need of some TLC. Boat has been great but ive incorrectly trailered a heavy motor for too long. Welds have been cracked and repaired and i had 2 - 1/4" thick aluminum plates welded to the transom where the motor mounts to help distribute the weight a little better. Bad move. It got a little hot and the aluminum drew in below the plates and i now have stress cracks forming where it drew in. My question is can I get a new aluminum skin added to the transom or should i get the transom replaced? Is it possible to simply cut the thing off and replace it? Thanks.
    A good friend of mine had the same first issue and he had a 1/4" diamond deck added to the transom and has had no more problems. Only reason I know this is I was using the boat when I noticed the problem. So yes you can skim it with another piece.

I actually made a template of the transom and cut it myself. Just watch out if you do some of the work yourself because that transom should have two slight bends in it.
    Last edited by Tailchaser; 01-27-2014 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailchaser View Post
    A good friend of mine had the same first issue and he had a 1/4" diamond deck added to the transom and has had no more problems. Only reason I know this is I was using the boat when I noticed the problem. So yes you can skim it with another piece.

I actually made a template of the transom and cut it myself. Just watch out if you do some of the work yourself because that transom should have two slight bends in it.

Thanks for the info. Where are these bends that you are talking about?
    \"Go to Know\"

Thanks for the info. Where are these bends that you are talking about?
    If yours does not have them I apologize. But the ones on Weavers boat were about the same location as the bends in a war eagle but ever so slight of a bend, hardly noticeable. I talked to the welder prior to cutting the aluminum and he said to make my template and new transom skin about 1/4" short all the way around so he could put a good bead on it. Now I didn't make it to cover the chines, just to the bottom of the actual transom. I also did all of the sanding where the welds were to save money. It only took him an hour to weld it. I wouldn't recommend 1/4". The motor almost didn't fit back on and there is a weight increase so it sits a little lower in the water now. Would use 1/8" but Weaver had that piece of aluminum so I didn't have to pay for that. Primed it then painted it. Bet that transom won't get damaged too easily. I think I saved around $300 by doing a lot of the prep work myself.
    Last edited by Tailchaser; 01-27-2014 at 11:11 PM.

I'll answer any questions you have that I can answer. If you're near St George I'll even help with the template and cutting.

These are some pics of the transom I cut out of my old distract then rebelled in a new one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by scmoose; 01-28-2014 at 08:42 AM.

One more. Not sure how to get the pictures to show up instead of links? Figured it out, had to use the old version of Tapatalk.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by scmoose; 01-28-2014 at 08:37 AM.

awesome. did you do the work yourself?
    \"Go to Know\"

Scmoose-
    How does that shed you got work? Its got shipping containers holding up the trusses?

Btw, nice work
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."- Robert E. Lee

That's our workshop where I work. That's exactly what it is. The trusses has to be engineered before the town would permit n the building. I did a bunch of the work. I guy in work with did the pretty welding, I did tbe rest.of the welding. All tig.

sent from my galaxy s3 using tapatalk
    Last edited by scmoose; 01-28-2014 at 10:10 AM.