Thread: Any 'Work from Home' - Ideas?

Default Any 'Work from Home' - Ideas?

My wife wants to return to the workforce part-time, but due to some current scheduling restrictions she's thinking it will be pretty hard to find a good match out there in 'the wild'. That opens up the 'Work from Home' option as probably the best short term solution for her if we can find something.

Do any of you have any knowledge or experience with something like this? Are any of your wives employed in this type of work arena? Off the top of my head I'm thinking of things like 'medical or legal transcription', small company bookkeeping, etc.

She's got an accounting/bookkeeping, grocery, and retailing background, knows her way around the laptop... Win 8, spreadsheets, etc... and the Internet, and I can easily set her up to VPN into a business system for direct input, et al.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

A coworker's wife works for Best Buy from home. She's a level-1 for their call center. If she can't help, she just escalates. She deals exclusively with Best Buy Rewards Card calls regarding points/redemptions/problems.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    A coworker's wife works for Best Buy from home. She's a level-1 for their call center. If she can't help, she just escalates. She deals exclusively with Best Buy Rewards Card calls regarding points/redemptions/problems.
    Damn, that in interesting as hell!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

DHEC. Workin with how bleach don't work on Mold or Mildew. BAWWWWWWWAAAAAAAA. Listen to me and I mean it------------------------------------------------------Just Kidding and I hope she finds what she want to do. Hell we might want to talk cause I gotta find something to do. Again, I just could not pass on it.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Go to indeed.com and for location put in "remote" search on the type of job you want to look for.

A guy I work withs wife does medical records from home. I believe she codes them for insurance purposes..............she can work as fast or slow as she wants, logs in via computer remote.........sounds like a pretty decent gig.

This^ or billing, little training required.

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    I need to get my wife in on something like this, even if it just made 10k a year or so.
    You and me both. My wife stays home with the kids and home schools. Would be great if she could make some extra cash.

Problem is finding one that isn't a scam. I have done a little bit of research on the subject and it looks like most people go through 3 or more scams before finding one that is legit or they just give up.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    She has a teaching degree for pre K through 3rd grade. I would rather her be at home with my babies though. If she could make a little cash and stay home even better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Sounds like were in the same boat. My wife taught 2nd grade for 5 years before we decided to let her stay home with the kids. We had 3 at the time and now 4. The day care bill wasn't worth it, so she quit and now home schools. I was amazed how many people are home schooling these days.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

My wife worked for West At Home. She worked for Virgin Mobile. Her friend still does it. Odd hours, you need a second phone line. But is was some extra cash coming in. http://www.apply.westathome.com/index.html. It was not a scam.

A friend's wife used to be a teacher. Now she tutors. It is really good money per hour if you get in with the right parental group.

Some good ideas here. Keep them coming!

Thanks!
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

My SIL processes mortgages from home, makes a damn good living at it too.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    My SIL processes mortgages from home, makes a damn good living at it too.
    Any idea how she went about getting into it?

She had been in the mortgage buisness ever since she moved down here. The company she worked for decided to make some cutbacks and offered for her to work at home. Shes changed company's several times now, but I think its a pretty common thing now in that buisiness. She had no formal training prior, no college work at all, just worked for the right people at the right times. Im guessing shes close to six figures now if not there. Not to mention the pay her cable, phone, internet bill, supply here with computers, printers and such.
    Last edited by scmoose; 01-26-2014 at 02:15 PM.