Thread: motor peeling ?

Default motor peeling ?

Motor would not pee water this morning , could it have been to cold ? Or the impeller needs to be replaced. I put the boat back on the trailer and headed home , it is not clogged up ran fine the other week .

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

Could have been a couple things....Froze water in the pipeline, thermostat not tellin it to, sugar ants... blow air thru it...
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Quote Originally Posted by BigBallin View Post
    Could have been a couple things....Froze water in the pipeline, thermostat not tellin it to, sugar ants... blow air thru it...
    Frozen water would be my guess as well.

I didnt feel comfortable with it not peeing so I loaded it up , I have hunted in colder temps over the years and never had this issue. I recently upgraded to a 25hp Yamaha

Ice

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

Id blow air thru it and run it on a hose. Outboards are not harmed by no water flow, they are harmed by overheating due to no water flow. Run it a few minutes and if no pee, let it sit a few minutes, and repeat. I would remove the cowl and keep a good feel of the heat build, if it starts to get pretty warm without starting I would shut it off and look. If it starts to blow steam, shut it off. If you have a compressor, when its running, bump an occasional 60psi in the pee tube and see if itll start. If none of that works, your impeller could have been froze solid and you destroyed it or broke the cup loose when you turned the engine over. Highly highly hilghly unlikely though.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Also for foture reference make sure you drop the motor all the way down and try to drain as much water out of the foot as possible.
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

when I forget to start boat after I put it on the trailer, my 60 takes up to 10 minutes to thaw and discharge.

If I know its going to be cold the next time I use boat, I tilt down and start it for a second or 2. Blows the remaining water out.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Thanks guys , I will try to hook a hose to it later today and see what happens.

some motors dont pee when its cold due to the thermostat. Specifically the 25hp 2stroke mercury from 98 on. not sure about the yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by D Shot Shoota View Post
    some motors dont pee when its cold due to the thermostat. Specifically the 25hp 2stroke mercury from 98 on. not sure about the yamaha
    You are right sir about the Mercs

Same thing happened to me this morning after our hunt. Water line was frozen. Had to hold my buddy heater next to the pee hole for a few minutes to thaw it out.

As long as there is water flow it doesn't necessarily have to pee. My merc got stopped up 12 mile from landing once and it never peed or ran hot.

Peeing is over rated. Cant sweat the small stuff. I will paddle before I go home if I have my mind set
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Peeing is over rated. Cant sweat the small stuff. I will paddle before I go home if I have my mind set
    It's fine with me if a few people decide to play it safe and go back home

Always store your motor down if you keep your boat outside in below freezing weather. Pro-Tip. Water residue in a powerhead can lead to all kinda problems
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Hooked the hose to it this afternoon and it is peeing again , guesss it froze up . Sucks cause it screwed up a morning hunt but it was better not to blow a motor

Good to hear D
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

Thanks , never had one freeze up before . Maybe next time I will try the heater trick. I knew is was going to be a shitty morning when my buddy bailed on me at 5am
    Last edited by QuackerSmacker75; 01-24-2014 at 08:41 PM.