Thread: Transporting a Dog

Default Transporting a Dog

I am in the process of adopting a lab in Virginia. The dog's owner just passed away and the family can't take care of her, so I'm going to take her in. My work schedule will not allow me time to make the trip for a few weeks and I'm trying to get her down here sooner than later. Does anyone know around how much it would cost to fly her and how the process goes? Also I know this is a shot in the dark but if anyone is making that drive any time soon and could help I would be more than happy to compensate for your time.
    Thanks

Tyy would've been able to help. He goes to VA every couple weeks. I'll ask him if he could help. What part of Virginia?

Besides flying, you might want to look into courier services. There are plenty of companies out there that run "hot shot" deliveries. You might find one that will transport the dog.

I just flew mine. Pretty easy process. Each airline charges a different fee and has different regulations. Checkout their websites for more info on flying a pet via cargo.

Retrievertraining.net has a message board. I would post on there and see if anyone is making the trip from VA south and could transport the dog for you.

Fly Delta Cargo pets first into columbia. 1888 736 3738 They charge by the weight. Use a large kennel, not an XL. Shouldnt cost but about 300$ Pick her up at the cargo area in columbia. I used to do this all the time.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

There is a service that does just that. "Move the dog". Has gotten real good reviews. Also during the winter, there should be a lot of dog people going back and forth between SC and the northeast so a post on RTF might work.

There are restrictions on flying animals when the weather conditions are bad on either end. This is to prevent the possibility of an animal getting stuck on the tarmac for too long in dangerous weather. I doubt you're going to get the dog airborne for a few days.

Cheers to you for taking the poor dog in.

years ago buddy of mine had a coon dog shipped from Texas on a grey hound bus. I do not know if they still do this but you may want to check it out

I go to Virginia almost every weekend. What part of Virginia?

Quote Originally Posted by Black River Josh View Post
    I go to Virginia almost every weekend. What part of Virginia?
    Near Springfield I believe but I'm pretty sure they are willing to meet somewhere relatively close.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    There are restrictions on flying animals when the weather conditions are bad on either end. This is to prevent the possibility of an animal getting stuck on the tarmac for too long in dangerous weather. I doubt you're going to get the dog airborne for a few days.

Cheers to you for taking the poor dog in.
    Most airports transport animals in heated vehicles to and from now. So as long as your are flying from one to another with that service you are ok. Temperature outside doesnt matter once the animal is on the plane.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

That wasn't what Delta said the last two times I had a puppy shipped and when my bitch went to meet her new boyfriend. Granted, my last experience was two years ago. I hope they have increased their attention to pet transport.

My boss and his wife do pound transports. Springfield VA to Columbia?