Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 cat limit

Default 10 cat limit

A 10 blue cat per person limit bill was introduced today for Santee Cooper Lakes.

Discuss.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

About the only thing that lake is good for anymore why not

Never needed more than 20 filets in the fridge at one time. . .

No more recreational trotline or commercial fishing?

10 fish / day? Is there a proposed "total possession limit"?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

No limit! Clean those things out of our lake so they'll stop demolishing our game fish. Damn a catfish!
    U serious Clark?

BB is going to be pissed, fact!

What about the commercial trotlines?
    Would they have to abide by such a limit?

Quote Originally Posted by baldpate View Post
    No limit! Clean those things out of our lake so they'll stop demolishing our game fish. Damn a catfish!

^^^ This ^^^ Write it down and pass it around.

What would be the/any benefit of this imposed limit?

I went to all of these public hearings about this last year and nothing is changing for the commercial guys which makes no sense. Did they change the 36" rule?

Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    BB is going to be pissed, fact!

How would this be different from any other topic as of late?

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

If they are not restricting the commercial guys then I will look into a commercial liscense again. 50-100 dollars to reap unlimited amounts of resources aint a bad deal. Its seldom I would take more than 10, very seldom. But whats fair for the goose is in deed fair for the gander. Unless a commercial and wholesellers liscens will quadruple in price. I was unable to make it to any of the meetings so its kinda like bitchin about a president if I didnt vote, but I'm tired of seeing commercial guys rape the resources and recreational guys feel the pressure.
    On the other side of the quarter, I think 10 is a fair number. If a lot of factors are affecting the population of this industry fish then a knee jerk may be needed to regulate the harvest, there is still a pile of channels and flatheads I would rather eat anyhow. While a lot of people are targeting bowfishers as the dirty culprits bringing the blue cat population to a dwindling number, fact is you gotta be damn good at your game to put more than 10 fish per night per person in your boat. I can count on both hands and maybe a foot how many boats/teams around here I feel could successfully do that. Some of the old timers are still in the game but just because you see lights across the flat dont mean they are doing work. If we want to "save the bluecats" then trotlines need to be more tightly regulated.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Roads and schools FOCUS.... Catfish, turkeys, coon season, will all be just fine.
    Last edited by CAMO SNOB; 01-23-2014 at 07:37 AM.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMO SNOB View Post
    Roads and schools FOCUS.... Catfish, turkeys, coon season, will all be just fine.

Yep, need to be worried about things of this nature.

Im with camo snob. Worry about things that matter not a catfish
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

i dont even want to comment on this thread, but.... i went to he first meeting they had. my wife had a baby the day before the second meeting so i wasnt able to attend those. the meeting did nothing. just a failed attempt to make the public think that they were involved in a decision.

with a 10 fish limit on blue cats, these lakes are fucked. period.
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 01-23-2014 at 08:32 AM.

This is not my bill. I am reporting this. Right now I am studying roads and schools.

H. 4543
    A BILL
    TO AMEND SECTION 50-13-640, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF BLUE CATFISH, SO AS TO DECREASE THE MAXIMUM LENGTH OF A BLUE CATFISH THAT MAY BE TAKEN ON CERTAIN BODIES OF WATER, TO MAKE A TECHNICAL CHANGE, AND TO ESTABLISH THE DAILY POSSESSION LIMIT FOR BLUE CATFISH TAKEN FROM LAKE MARION AND LAKE MOULTRIE; AND TO AMEND SECTION 50-9-1120, AS AMENDED, RELATING TO THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE POINT SYSTEM FOR VIOLATING CERTAIN PROVISIONS THAT REGULATE FISHING AND HUNTING, SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT TAKING OR POSSESSING MORE THAN THE LEGAL CREEL OR SIZE LIMIT OF BLUE CATFISH IS A FOURTEEN POINT VIOLATION.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

SECTION 1. Section 50-13-640 of the 1976 Code of Laws, as added by Act 114 of 2012, is amended to read:

"Section 50-13-640. (A) It is unlawful to possess more than one blue catfish (Ictalurus furcatus) greater than thirty-six thirty-two inches in length in any one day in Lake Marion, Lake Moultrie, or the upper reach of the Santee River, and the Congaree and Wateree Rivers.

(B) The daily possession limit for blue catfish (Ictalurus furcatus) is not more than ten in Lake Marion or Lake Moultrie.

(C) A person violating the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than three hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both."

SECTION 2. Section 50-9-1120(3) of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 237 of 2008, is further amended to read:

"(3) Fishing violations:

(a) trapping, netting, or seining game fish illegally: 10;

(b) taking or possessing more than the legal limit of striped bass: 14;

(c) taking or possessing an undersized striped bass: 14. ;

(d) taking or possessing more than the legal creel or size limit of blue catfish: 14."

SECTION 3. The repeal or amendment by this act of any law, whether temporary or permanent or civil or criminal, does not affect pending actions, rights, duties, or liabilities founded thereon, or alter, discharge, release or extinguish any penalty, forfeiture, or liability incurred under the repealed or amended law, unless the repealed or amended provision shall so expressly provide. After the effective date of this act, all laws repealed or amended by this act must be taken and treated as remaining in full force and effect for the purpose of sustaining any pending or vested right, civil action, special proceeding, criminal prosecution, or appeal existing as of the effective date of this act, and for the enforcement of rights, duties, penalties, forfeitures, and liabilities as they stood under the repealed or amended laws.

SECTION 4. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

What is new is a reduction in the size from 36 inch to 32 inches, a limit of 10, and penalties similar to gamefish.

I would appear to drastically affect commercial fishermen.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I would recommend raising the daily limit to a 100. It's not a game fish. It is a non native invasive.
    Blue Cat = snakehead.

Blue cat = ricky anchored in middle of interstate (channel markers)flipping people off for not idling past them. = DUI moped driver on I-95 mad because people are going around him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Default 10 cat limit

Quote Originally Posted by artdevilish View Post
    I would recommend raising the daily limit to a 100. It's not a game fish. It is a non native invasive.
    Blue Cat = snakehead.

Blue cat = ricky anchored in middle of interstate (channel markers)flipping people off for not idling past them. = DUI moped driver on I-95 mad because people are going around him.

Hey, you leave me out of this and my preferred choice of transportation.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 01-23-2014 at 10:27 AM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

I was hoping this was referring to house cats..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213