Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dominican Republic On The Horizon (Maybe...)

Default Dominican Republic On The Horizon (Maybe...)

It's been a while since we've had a real vaction; real being that it isn't the mountains, the beach, or a bordering state. Our last good outting was Barbados, nearly exactly five years ago.

Well, I called my folks last night and asked if Ami & I left for a week, if between them and my MIL/SIL, they'd be able to watch Colt. The said they would. My wife and I have been talking and have been wishy-washy. We don't know if we wanna take advantage of a good deal now, or just wait until we are basically debt-free and go somewhere not based on a "deal".

We're also on fence about taking Colt. I'd love to do it, but it'd cost more, there's added dedication that it takes to be a parent, and well...it's just something we'd like to take a break from for the first time in five years. Y'all know what I mean...

Today, Mom called. She said that they'd pay for Colt, they'd come along, and watch Colt a good bit so we could enjoy ourselves there.

So, I guess now it's time to hash out the details. I'm somewhat excited, but not too much since I've been to Punta Cana before. We'll actually be next door to where we were last time, so that'll be cool. Last time was 7 nights, this time will be 6. We did three excursions on the last trip; hopefully my folks will take Colt out on an excursion or two while we just chill at the resort.

Have any of y'all been to Punta Cana? If so, any items that are just a "must". I'm gonna try to keep it low budget. If I can hook up with some folks down there who wanna fish, I may try to split a charter. Other than that, I don't recall anything that I'm just dying to do again.
    Last edited by USMCsilver; 01-22-2014 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    It's been a while since we've had a real vaction; real being that it isn't the mountains, the beach, or a bordering state. Our last good outting was Barbados, nearly exactly five years ago.

Well, I called my folks last night and asked if Ami & I left for a week, if between them and my MIL/SIL, they'd be able to watch Colt. The said they would. My wife and I have been talking and have been wishy-washy. We don't know if we wanna take advantage of a good deal now, or just wait until we are basically debt-free and go somewhere not based on a "deal".

We're also on fence about taking Colt. I'd love to do it, but it'd cost more, there's added dedication that it takes to be a parent, and well...it's just something we'd like to take a break from for the first time in five years. Y'all know what I mean...

Today, Mom called. She said that they'd pay for Colt, they'd come along, and watch Colt a good bit so we could enjoy ourselves there.

So, I guess now it's time to hash out the details. I'm somewhat excited, but not too much since I've been to Punta Cana before. We'll actually be next door to where we were last time, so that'll be cool. Last time was 7 nights, this time will be 6. We did three excursions on the last trip; hopefully my folks will take Colt out on an excursion or two while we just chill at the resort.

Have any of y'all been to Punta Cana? If so, any items that are just a "must". I'm gonna try to keep it low budget. If I can hook up with some folks down there who wanna fish, I may try to split a charter. Other than that, I don't recall anything that I'm just dying to do again.
    Zip line through the canopy is a good family activity.

Don't get talked into snorkeling near Punta Cana since it is on the Atlantic side. If you do make sure it is off the Caribbean coast.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Went to punta Cana on my honeymoon. Stayed at the majestic. They had a half day fishing excursion for $60 for me and $20 for my wife since she wasn't gonna be "fishing". Caught a white marlin within 45 mins of leaving. We did the snuba/speed boats/snorkeling thing and that was fun. The resort was awesome and being all inclusive everything was FREE. Nobody bothered us on the beach like they did in Jamaica. Punta Cana did look poor but nobody bothered us and the people we talked to were very friendly. Outside of the resort not a lot of people spoke English and were polite anyways.

We're leaving in May for our 2 year anniversary to go back to DR. We're looking at punta Cana again but also at some other places.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

My wife on the left along with another honeymooners wife on the right and our guides with the fish I caught.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

I really enjoyed the DR. Fishing and horse ride on the beach with was all we did outside of the resort. Good people there for the most part. Don't use credit cards. DR is known for credit card scams.

Going there in April for the honeymoon. We booked all inclusive with Melia Carib Tropical for pretty decent deal considering I still almost threw up when the lady quoted me prices for other resorts. We plan on doing some off shore fishing and the whole non motorized water sports deal. I will let you know how it is if you haven't booked by then.
    Sgt. Luther W. Rabon Jr. and Staff Sgt. Willie J. Harley Jr.
    KIA 1 October 2010
    Paktika Province, Afghanistan
    RCP 14, 1221st Engineer Clearance Company

If not a credit card what? Cash, traveler checks? Thanks
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by huberc1 View Post
    We booked all inclusive with Melia Carib Tropical...
    Awesome resort. Good people, good fun! That's where we were last time we were there. If you can, or if it's not too late, upgrade to "Royal Service". IMHO, this is a must. Top shelf shit, seperate pool/restaurant, better treatment, more options with EVERYTHING. Got a turn-down service, pillow menu, concierge, and a little tapas bar set up with Johnny Walker Red/Blue/Black (and other premium stuff) before dinnertime.

I loved the Melia. I wish we could go back there instead of their neighbor; funds are kinda a deciding factor right now.

Ami's actually on hold with Vacation Express as I type. Trying to get down to brass tacks. My ole man is saying he isn't gonna commit to shit until he gets back from their 3-week trip to Israel. However, I'm trying to knock it out tonight. They're gone probably 1/4 of the year... Oh how I envy them.

I definitely will try... hopefully they will bump us up for free since its the honeymoon.. if not the future Mrs. might get the upgrade after all.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk
    KIA 1 October 2010

Funny you post this. We're considering a trip in early May to either DR, Costa Rica, Belize, or Cabo. Tough call!
    HRCH DL's Black Kentucky Shine SH "Colby"
    HR Devil's Dirty Little Secret "Tessa"

2015 1760dbst Havoc & 90 HP Yamaha 2 Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    If not a credit card what? Cash, traveler checks? Thanks
    cash worked fine. a dollar there goes a long way.

I definitely will try... hopefully they will bump us up for free since its the honeymoon.. if not the future Mrs. might get the upgrade after all.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk
    When looking @ who we booked through online, it was kinda expensive.

We called, and it was about 1/3 the price. Oh, and we got lobsta @ our little corner of the resort, too. (Not a big fan, but whatever...)

Hard to carry alot of cash anymore if you are flying outa the country is what I am gettin at. Thanks
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    When looking @ who we booked through online, it was kinda expensive.

We called, and it was about 1/3 the price. Oh, and we got lobsta @ our little corner of the resort, too. (Not a big fan, but whatever...)
    I figured I could through some southern charm their way when we got there....if not pay the fee... did they have duck?!?!
    KIA 1 October 2010

Hard to carry alot of cash anymore if you are flying outa the country is what I am gettin at. Thanks
    Dont need much.... 300-400 will is plenty. The excursion guys at the resort will book you for half the price if not less when you pay cash. So they 80 zip line per person would cost you 80 in cash for both. And make sure you have small bills for tips. Sucks when you feel like you need to tip and only have a 10 or 20..

The only cash I carry is $200 in singles.

...did they have duck?!?!
    Umm, not that I recall. I do remember some good cigars and my 1st encounter with absinthe, though.

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.Ducks View Post
    My wife on the left along with another honeymooners wife on the right and our guides with the fish I caught.
    Please tell me that's not a gaff hole in the side of that fish??
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post

That was first thing i noticed as well.

why wouldn't you gaff that fish? Just curios. It feeds a lot of people. They were pretty stoked when we hooked one.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    why? does it really look as though it is going to be thrown back into the ocean?