Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New hunter question.

Default New hunter question.

Ive always been a hardcore deer, duck, and small game hunter but i think im gonna expand that into turkey hunting. I need something else to spend too much time and money doing. I have guns turkey chokes and even a decoy or two i got from somewhere. My main concern is what style call is good to start with i wanna start getting some practice in?

I would start practicing with a pot call and striker. I would try to get around some seasoned hunters to hear their sequencing and perhaps try to hunt with them. Practice a lot!
    I'm going to heaven for the weather and hell for the company.

Be dangerous, unpredictable, and make a whole lot of noise.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    I would start practicing with a pot call and striker. I would try to get around some seasoned hunters to hear their sequencing and perhaps try to hunt with them. Practice a lot!

I know alot of hardcore hunters i just never got into thats my plan learn as much as possible from others.

I'd get a couple of mouth calls as well. They are pretty cheap and it's nice to be able to go hands free once the bird is within eye shot. Cadence is more important than pitch.

Are you sure your turkey gun is suffice?

Here comes the sales pitch!
    The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    Theodore Roosevelt

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Get a good Quaker box call and some mouth calls. Deadly combination after some practice.
    The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    Theodore Roosevelt

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by sut View Post
    I know alot of hardcore hunters i just never got into thats my plan learn as much as possible from others.
    Good plan. I've heard plenty of terrible callers "educate" the turkeys more than necessary because they assumed they could go into the woods without practicing. You want to get a turkey tight lipped? Send some notes in his direction that sound like Biz taking a spiked bat to a feral cat.
    I'm going to heaven for the weather and hell for the company.

Be dangerous, unpredictable, and make a whole lot of noise.

hunt the first season or atleast the first half of this season without calls. watch and listen. crawl and ambush if you have to. you will have just as much success as you would if you get out there hacking on a box call.

if you insist on taking calls, less is more <period>

Get a decent slate and a good box call. Do not have to spend a fortune on it either. Learn basic calls like clucking, purring, and yelping. Stay still and pattern your gun so you are not going to the woods feeling bad when you miss or unwilling to shoot because of lack of confidence. Patience and preparation will kill birds quicker than thinking you can just run out and blast away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by davisd9; 01-20-2014 at 06:24 PM.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    hunt the first season or atleast the first half of this season without calls. watch and listen. crawl and ambush if you have to. you will have just as much success as you would if you get out there hacking on a box call.

if you insist on taking calls, less is more <period>

Damnit Adam. I swear. You and your damn Mohican Sneakin. Let the boy educate turkeys by trying to act like a poor excuse for a turkey, not a starving coyote.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Damnit Adam. I swear. You and your damn Mohican Sneakin. Let the boy educate turkeys by trying to act like a poor excuse for a turkey, not a starving coyote.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    Get a decent slate and a good box call. Do not have to spend a fortune on it either. Learn basic calls like clucking, purring, and yelping. Stay still and pattern your gun so you are not going to the woods feeling bad when you miss or unwilling to shoot because of lack of confidence. Patience and perpetration will kill birds quicker than thinking you can just run out and blast away.
    I wish somebody told me this my first two years of trying. Try to spend time with people who are consistently successful, multiple people. Be humble, gracious, respect the areas they hunt and dont hunt them without your friend/mentor who took you there. I've learned from a few good ones, but you still have to find your own way. I still don't consider myself a great Turkey Hunter. I've had more bad than good years. It's a learning curve. But it's an awesome ride.

Above all ,find where the turkeys are, and keep your mouth shut. You can't kill em if they ain't there. My .$02.

You will quickly learn to wade through the crap on forums. Once you learn a little you will know which hunters to read when they type and which ones to skip over. There is more skipping than reading at times.

Definitely hang out with seasoned turkey hunters. Listen to them and ask questions. If they are not worried about their skill level they will help. Turkey hunters have opinions and you will adopt some and revise others.

I may be one of the hunters you want to skip when you read forums. That is for you to learn and decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by davisd9; 01-20-2014 at 06:02 PM.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Just picked up a slate call and a mouth call package deal on clearence we shall see.

And thanks for the advice everyone.

Most turkey killers dont give real advise on an Internet forum. You might get a nudge in the right direction but that's it.

I'd buy a slate pot call and that's it. Learn to use it and only it. If you head in the woods before season leave it at the house. Listen to real turkeys....not you tube instructions. When you get home from listening and learning the lay of the land and turkey habits, then sit in your lazy boy and run that bitch until your finger nails bleed and your wife threatens divorce. Don't be satisfied until you can sound like real turkeys.

In my opinion to many new guys that cant run a call getting advise from guys that have been doing it five years and can't run a call either . To much stumbling and bumbling around the woods these days.

The real deal. It's just like duck hunting. You find the X and no calls are needed, and if you do call a few simple clucks is all that's needed.

put them to bed and shoot them off the limb the next morning. a good scoped 223 works great

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    Definitely hang out with seasoned turkey hunters. Listen to them and ask questions. If they are not worried about their skill level they will help. Turkey hunters have opinions and you will adopt some and revise others.
    Yep. Pretty much it.

The main thing you can learn from better hunters is closing the deal. It does not happen by accident. Pay close attention during the hunt and ask a ton of questions afterwards win or lose.

I was able to call turkeys well long before I learned to close the deal. It does become somewhat second nature. I don't learn a lot of new things about calling anymore, but I learn a lot about closing on them every year.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands