Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trapping

Default Trapping

Started last Sunday. It has been a humbling experience. Got a few traps on four different properties.

Started by catching 3 grey foxes and a coon early on in the week. I purely want to do this to get egg snatchers and fawn snatchers. My buddy wants to get into it for $ and I could care less about that. I just want to help with recruitment. Anyways we had our bait dug up on a few different sets and we tried different things throughout the week, and had tracks all around our traps but we couldn't catch. It was frustrating. I was starting to think it was a waste until this morning. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390233834.277777.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1390233851.977356.jpg

One set was a flat set with a rock behind it with scent on edge of rock

The other was a dirt hole set.

Both sets were 50 yds apart.
    piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.

That's awesome!!! Trapping is a whole different level of bad ass! I ran snares in Alaska for rabbits and coyotes. I only did it the last year I was up there. It was great fun and I wish I could have had more time. There are some great trapping forums on the web these days that can walk you step by step through the process for making the different kinds of sets. It really helps shorten the learning curve!!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

congrats, looks like you figured it out. amazing how easily they can pick out a bad set

Very nice, I need to learn myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

It will make you pull your hair out that is for sure. Its just another reason to keep me in the woods as far as I'm concerned. I just wish I could trap year round.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Awesome! Get all of the dumb ones that you can, next year you'll have to up your game.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Out-fricking-standing!
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Is there anybody on SCDUCKS that really knows how to trap? (Not that the OP doesnt) I would love to learn how to trap!! If someone is interested in teaching I have some property I'll volunteer as the classroom! I don't know anyone that knows anything about it.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Well done

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    Is there anybody on SCDUCKS that really knows how to trap? (Not that the OP doesnt) I would love to learn how to trap!! If someone is interested in teaching I have some property I'll volunteer as the classroom! I don't know anyone that knows anything about it.
    These days all you need is access to the interweb. Google is your friend and there are Youtube videos to walk you through anything that you can't pick up by reading through the forums. There are tons of trapping forums and most of the guys will help you out on anything you ask. Just make sure to use the search forum before asking a question that's been answered a thousand times already. Similar to what should be done on SCDucks.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post

This'll get you started
    http://scducks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122846

however the season ends March 1 so you might as well read and learn as much as possible for next season.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

You want to get these beavers cutum I am pretty close. Easy pickins. I got muskrats out the ass too. Holla if you want to mess with um before I take this into my own hands
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    You want to get these beavers cutum I am pretty close. Easy pickins. I got muskrats out the ass too. Holla if you want to mess with um before I take this into my own hands

Pm me your number and I'll call you about that.
    piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.

YouTube is your friend.

Honestly the guy I've been trapping with this week went with a very knowledgeable trapper and learned a good bit. I just watched about 50 YouTube videos. It's not hard but you have to have time to check trap lines every morning.

The key is it is all about scent control. I have a pair of gloves that I wear while handling the trap or digging my set. Then you take those gloves off and wear your other gloves ( both need to be rubber) to put out your lure/bait/scent.

Being able to check traps from a truck is huge. If you walk roads/trails where the animals are its inevitable that your are going to put your scent in the area.

We have tried different stuff but dirt roads seem to be getting the most action. Also look for coyote prints that are fresh and collect scat to use in your sets.

I'm not claiming to know it all. Like I said. I'm still new to it, but these are some of the things that I have found to be key.

Also keep stuff in plastic bins seperated.

A baseball bat works good to stun them with a small sharp bop to the nose and then you can pull them away from the trap to dispatch so that you don't leave a bloody mess in your set. And always reset if you catch in a spot.

a guy I work with slays the beaver
    http://meattrapper.com/trappingvideos/

Quote Originally Posted by cut em' View Post
    A baseball bat works good to stun them with a small sharp bop to the nose and then you can pull them away from the trap to dispatch so that you don't leave a bloody mess in your set. And always reset if you catch in a spot.
    This. Bullet holes also make the hide less valuable.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Very nice man! Glad ya finally got some! Me and James must of been bad luck the other day!

How far do you drag 'em to dispatch 'em? What you say makes perfect sense.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I've been trapping for around 20 years, used to be good money in til they made it legal to transport coyotes, now just do it for population control, however when you catch one, three take its place, yotes are the smartest K9's made by the good lord and their sense of smell is unreal, a dug up trap doesn't necessarily mean a bad set, more so of them smelling something that's not right, if you ever notice, after the traps have been in the ground for two days or so or after a shower of rain your catch ratio doubles, scent control is the key, got a few tricks I've learned over the years that have really helped, if interested, shoot me a PM,.,.,. My .02 cents

I shoot them at the set then drag them off. Don't hurt the set at all. If anything it's more smell to make them stay around and work the set longer. The longer u can keep their attention the better ur odds of a catch. But everybody does it their own way. Also if u shoot them behind the shoulder like a deer they don't bleed as much as a head shot does. And it's just as quick if u hit them right.