Thread: Busted!

Default Busted!

Looks like the birds are finally getting used to my little brush blinds in the salt ponds. Either that, or the beach weather we're having out here in California has the ducks all crazy right now.

Evan and I made another hunt in the canvasback ponds today despite the mile high skies, mid 60 degree weather, and a serious lack of wind. The wife gave us the go ahead for an afternoon hunt so at 11 o'clock we loaded up the Trailblazer and beat feet for the salt marsh. With Evan's wild long shots lately (while sitting by himself) I decided it was time for a refresher course on what's killing range and what's skybusting. When we got to the ponds we cut a bunch of brush, loaded up the pirogues and paddled out. The goal was to take one of the single blinds we've been using and add enough brush to it to conceal both pirogues. That way I could sit with Evan and let him know when the birds were actually in range.

Here's Evan hauling out part of our brush for the blind build.

We got situated and watched a few birds work the pond here and there. Lots of gadwall, pintails, and a few shovelers here and there. Everything was giving us quite a wide berth and had me a little nervous. I popped two shoveler drakes early (one was a stud) and was hoping that as it got later the canvasbacks would salvage the hunt as they usually come right in with wreckless abandon! Unfortunately on this hunt that time would never come. We had a pair of drake cans buzz us and circle a few times but never committed to putting their feet out. I probably could have pass shot one on their final swing but we were looking for that easy landing shot since I was sitting with Evan. Other than that we simply enjoyed a sunset as the minutes to legal shooting time ticked a way. There were always birds working the pond here and there but just nothing willing to come our way.

Then just as shooting time ended it happened. That thing we all dread as waterfowlers. It was as if an alarm had sounded letting the birds know that it was safe. About three minutes after shooting time ended we had a group of eight cans land right in the decoys and swim around.

Evan was pissed!! LOL Then we had a pair of GWT drakes land on the edge of the spread and swim in as we were packing our gear. From then until we hit the bank the birds were all over us. I guess that's just how it goes though! We'll get 'em next time!

This was what we ended up with.

The other one didn't take his medicine so well and wasn't photo worthy. He was also a full mature bird but was very torn up!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Yessir! Good job!

Spoonies get a bad rap but they're beautiful birds. Good way to pass the daylight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

spoonies are some of the prettiest looking ducks mounted ! good pics also

Looks like y'all are having a good time out there. Nice pics!

Can't kill em every time.

Worthy.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.