Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floatation Pods

I'd rather pay someone to Tig....
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Then let me know.

Are the prefabbed pods hollow for floatation or is there actually a foam in them? I have been thinking of having some made for the back of the boat I am working on.

If they are empty, a few bucks worth of closed cell foam in a can would solve that.

Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-19-2014 at 07:10 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Then let me know.
    I'll get widja when I can.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Here is a picture of mine. They are not filled with any thing other than air. Works wonders and never have to worry about them becoming water logged.

Life ain't easy and dry bread ain't greasy.

Those look good. How much lift did they give you?

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

Please stop talking about foam....Foam does dot add buoyancy beyond what air would, it just keep stuff from sinking when you knock a hole in it. Fill your sink full of water and float a pan in it. Now fill it with foam, did it submerge slightly???That's the weight of the foam, its heavier than air.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Quote Originally Posted by BigBallin View Post
    Please stop talking about foam....Foam does dot add buoyancy beyond what air would, it just keep stuff from sinking when you knock a hole in it. Fill your sink full of water and float a pan in it. Now fill it with foam, did it submerge slightly???That's the weight of the foam, its heavier than air.
    I've never understood why people think foam inside their boat will add buoyancy. . .Now If my boat sinks I'll have a whole lot more problems than foam inside my boat, struggling to keep it afloat. Just get a good bilge pump.
    Last edited by Waldo; 01-20-2014 at 08:07 PM.

This is why the gov requires boats under 20' to have it from the factory. To save you from yourself. If you sink it, it will still float. Closed cell does add significant structural strength for very little added weight. It doesn't absorb water any more than a styrofoam cooler does.

Last edited by willyworm; 01-25-2014 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Typo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I ran into the same issue with my boat, it's a 1756 triton with a 4stroke Yamaha 90. I had three batteries and a 14 gallon tank in the back. Solution was to "customize" the front storage compartment of my boat to hold my two trolling batteries. This lifted the back atleast 5 inches out the water. The boat planes super quick and actually rides a little better with the weight.