Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What gun/caliber for hog hunt with dogs

Which is why I shoot a 44 with softpoints or HPs.... rarely will you get an exit on a Hog..

We did the 22LR deal for a while too with mixed results unless it was a head shot..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

i much rather ONE person carry a gun while hog hunting with dogs. you never know what someone will do in a situation in a thicket.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

This has "hay y'all wah'chis" written all over it.

Prayers sent

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    i much rather ONE person carry a gun while hog hunting with dogs. you never know what someone will do in a situation in a thicket.
    No doubt.

Seen several knife guys cut or stab themselves during the "moment of truth" as well.. including one shonuf "veteran hog man" who poked a nice hole in his thigh trying to kill a big sow...

Exciting..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I'll let Bugbuster handle this one....
    If you've ever hunted pigs with dogs, you will understand its almost impossible to safely shoot...carry a knife.

Quote Originally Posted by catahouladogs View Post
    Depends on the type of dogs. Not everyone uses catch dogs. I use a 44 lever action or carbine. A 30-30, 35 rem, 357, any of these calibers are good.
    I've successfully used a 30-30 behind the ear, and a 30-06 into the low shoulder to take out the heart... with NO exit through the far shoulder.

BUT none of my kills have involved dogs so I'll leave that suggestion to them.

Have a great hunt!
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Carry a pistol and leave it in the holster unless you are getting charged by a pissed off boar. Since you've never done it, watch and learn from those that have. Other hunters and the dogs will be safer and happier that way. If they let you get in for the kill, listen to them and do what they say.

Nothing more dangerous on any type hunt than someone that has never done it with a gun in their hands when shit gets tight.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    I went with gert for my first time. As I was walking in through head high pine and briar thickets, in the pitch black, with hogs running past me with in arms reach....

I saw how fast shit could go bad, and holstered my sidearm.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by wooduck34 View Post
    Hobble them, and bring them out alive.
    Why would you do this?
    Phillipians 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by dukhuntr View Post
    Why would you do this?
    Because being a cocksucker is becoming more and more in vogue...

Slow moving bullet like a .44 that will not exit and kill a dog or worse another hunter.

It is best to check with the man with the dogs before you pull it out of your truck. No one carries a long gun when they hunt with me unless I know them very, very we'll. Two years ago I eased up to a bayed hog in a briar bed, as I reached down to cut the bulldog loose an idiot shot at the hog directly across the briars from us. He was only thirty yards away and after a choice exchange of words he is no longer welcome.

Me, I prefer a cold steel OSS with a 7.5 double edge blade.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

I have never spent much time in the South Chicago ER trauma unit, flown a medi vac helicopter, or been a navy seal, but I have never seen "the shit hit the fan" like a bayed hog in a thicket with bulldogs involved. It'll check your ticker
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I have never spent much time in the South Chicago ER trauma unit, flown a medi vac helicopter, or been a navy seal, but I have never seen "the shit hit the fan" like a bayed hog in a thicket with bulldogs involved. It'll check your ticker
    Bwhahaha I like the description

Johnny B
    - what you got against a set of hobbles?
    Last edited by white quacker; 01-09-2014 at 09:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Because being a cocksucker is becoming more and more in vogue...
    I guess so! People need to understand that moving this nasty things spreads their disease to other places! I have hogs now because someone thought they would like to have them to hunt year round. Now I have to try to manage these nasty things year round so they don't ruin my fields crops and run desired animals off.
    Phillipians 4:13

He should have shot sooner.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Damn

Quote Originally Posted by highflyer View Post
    Use a good knife. But real badasses use the corkscrew from a Swiss Army knife!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have you seen the pictures of HF in the hospital after trying this!
    Last edited by SCWoody; 01-10-2014 at 11:49 AM.
    The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    Theodore Roosevelt

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

What an idiot!

Guys I hunt with dont allow ANY guns at all by anyone. Way too many people running through the woods. Shit could go south real quick.