Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of hunter?

I like to walk up under them when it's dark and shoot the sons of bitches off the limb before they've had a chance to stretch their wings
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

I've hunted out of a blind probably a half dozen times. I walk slowly usually, but have been known to jog 50-75 yards to cut the distance quick and then shut up. It's worked before. Overall though I suck at turkey hunting, but I'm great at noggin stomping. If I get better at the hunting part then maybe I can do more noggin stomping than last year.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Two kinds of turkey hunters really.
    Those that talk and those that shoot.
    I shoot.
    If I were to guess, this site is just like the general turkey hunting population. 10% of the hunters kill 90% of the turkeys. The question is, who is in the 10 and who is in the 90?
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I wouldn't say I run and gun by any means, but I definitely wear a pair of boots out every spring. At the end of every turkey season I am usually in pretty good shape, sometimes I am lucky enough to have a little turkey meat in the freezer.

I'm in the 90.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Surprisingly, I probably get more satisfaction out of calling them in. Don't get me wrong, I like to jelly head a gobbler as much as the next guy, but it's just something about sweet talking him in to about 15 yds and watching somebody else kill it. I called 5 two year olds in for a buddy of mine last year that had never killed one....legally. When they were standing 15 yds from us, I peaked over and looked at him to see how he was holding up. The guy was a nervous wreck. His barrel was shaking and I swear you could almost see his heart beating out of his chest. He shot one and the others started fighting with him. He looked at me and I said...hey bud, we're on your land, bust another one if you want. He shot another one and the other three ran off. The guy was as happy as straight guy in a barrel full of boobies.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    If I were to guess, this site is just like the general turkey hunting population. 10% of the hunters kill 90% of the turkeys. The question is, who is in the 10 and who is in the 90?
    I don't think it matters really but I sure do like me some turkey stink on my pocket knife.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    This is true but posts on forums make it easier to figure out a few on where they stand in the percentages and others of how they got to where they are in the percentages, one's figuring is not always correct though but usually pretty close.
    Last edited by davisd9; 01-09-2014 at 09:17 AM.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Until you have these cuff links, please stand down...
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

You can have the cuff links. I know plenty of people that have all kind of Spur decorations, some have 20+ sets, from shooting a bird with a guide/outfitter.

Know a guy with a box full of public land beards and another with a bucket full of public land spurs, now that is impressive.
    Last edited by davisd9; 01-09-2014 at 09:42 AM.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

LOL!!!

Here we go.. Turkeys have no fucking idea if the land they are on is public or private.

From the hunter's standpoint, it means nothing. You can either kill em or you can't.

Go back to "school"..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Nothing more fun that whacking one that started on their property and ended on mine.

I giggle like crazy every time.

ready

I am a ready turkey hunter. I leave enough gear in the truck to hunt whenever the moment presents itself.

Anybody need some good turkey land surveyed? I am running a special on turkey land on the coast from 3/15-4/1.
    Last edited by CAMO SNOB; 01-09-2014 at 09:59 AM.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    You can have the cuff links. I know plenty of people that have all kind of Spur decorations, some have 20+ sets, from shooting a bird with a guide/outfitter.

Know a guy with a box full of public land beards and another with a bucket full of public land spurs, now that is impressive.

You aren't really making a debate that public land bird kills are somehow superior to private land.......I hope? If so, please refer to KRT's post about tooting one's own horn.
    I'm going to heaven for the weather and hell for the company.

Be dangerous, unpredictable, and make a whole lot of noise.

I hunt mostly private so that would be a stupid argument for me to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your previous post led me to believe you thought more highly of the guy with the box of public land beard and spurs. My apologies if I read your post incorrectly. I agree, that would be a stupid argument to make.
    I'm going to heaven for the weather and hell for the company.

Be dangerous, unpredictable, and make a whole lot of noise.

It all depends on how they feel when they wake up.... I have had WMA birds gobble for hours and private land birds limb hop to my set up. All day they could decide to "do it" you just have to be there.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

That's the way I read it.

Here it is - hunters hunt (and make excuses why they don't kill)..

Killers go kill. (and find a way to do it consistently).
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    Your previous post led me to believe you thought more highly of the guy with the box of public land beard and spurs. My apologies if I read your post incorrectly. I agree, that would be a stupid argument to make.
    I can see where it would seem that way by how I stated it. Reading things on a forum can sometimes be interpreted in a manner that the writer did not intend. I appreciate your willingness to ask rather than just jump to conclusions.

I am more impressed by the number of beards/spurs more than where they came from. I will say that I tip my hat to those that are willing to put up with the crowds and pressure of public land. Private land hunters can be just as good as a hunter but at times do not have to put up with some of the frustrations of public land. I hunt a little public land but as I stated I hunt private more.
    Last edited by davisd9; 01-09-2014 at 10:43 AM.

To me, a box full of beards and spurs does not automatically indicate that one is a great turkey hunter.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.