Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trapping Yotes

I'm looking in to starting also. Friend of mine who does it uses this http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Trap...Trap+Snare+Dip instead of boil/wax. Apparently wax is a pain in the ass and less effective but I don't know enough about it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    I'm looking in to starting also. Friend of mine who does it uses this http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Trap...Trap+Snare+Dip instead of boil/wax. Apparently wax is a pain in the ass and less effective but I don't know enough about it yet.
    That's BS. Tried that out last year, it works but not near as well as wax and die. You can dip traps in the FMJ and hang them for three weeks and still smell the dip on them, if I can smell it, I know a yote can.
    Caught several with it but it did not last near as long as the wax and die.

I wish it was as good as they say it is, because it sure is a lot easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler_Dave View Post
    Had someone mention of using 4-5' piece of 6-8" pvc buried at an angle to trap coyotes. He said the coyote will go in for the bait but can't get turned around to get out. Anyone ever try this method?
    I'd like to hear more about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler_Dave View Post
    Had someone mention of using 4-5' piece of 6-8" pvc buried at an angle to trap coyotes. He said the coyote will go in for the bait but can't get turned around to get out. Anyone ever try this method?
    I've heard of this for armadillos, but never for coyotes. Is it effective?

You going to pull a pissed off coyote out of that PVC by his tail or what?
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post

I personally have never tried it or trapped, for that matter. Like I said, it was mentioned and was curious if anyone had tried it. A 22 long to the back of the head could be used for dispatching.

If'n a coyote is less than 3' from head to asshole, and that pipe is 4'-5' long, something tell me that you aren't going to have access to the back of his head...even if he's only half-way submerged.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Have always boiled my traps in a mixture of walnut hulls for dye and persimmions for scent control, never used wax, never needed to, best yote remedy is soak nerf balls in chicken soup or juice and spread peices around property, they cannot digest it and will die, but be carefull with your pets.

If'n a coyote is less than 3' from head to asshole, and that pipe is 4'-5' long, something tell me that you aren't going to have access to the back of his head...even if he's only half-way submerged.
    Texas heart shot that bitch

Pour a bucket of water down the pipe and wait a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDucker View Post
    Have always boiled my traps in a mixture of walnut hulls for dye and persimmions for scent control, never used wax, never needed to, best yote remedy is soak nerf balls in chicken soup or juice and spread peices around property, they cannot digest it and will die, but be carefull with your pets.

My cousin used to inject hot dog weenies and chicken wings with antifreeze and spread them all around his pastures. I asked him what happened if a neighbor's dog got into it, and his response was simple. Collateral damage is a bitch!

Yea, not advised if there are allot of domesticated animals in the area.

Those of you waxing your traps... Have you had a lot of trouble with your sets freezing down in the frigid South Carolina winters?

I'm waiting for one of these nimrods to branch into beaver trapping and wax a 330 Conibear and try to set it.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    but what if scientific studies say that trapping isnt effective in terms of fawn recruitment? Sure, it would still be fun....but are you kidding yourself about trapping coyotes to help the deer population?
    You can trap all you want, you aren't going to rid any property of them.
    New groups will just move right in. I'm not so sure they are that detrimental to start with. I've got 15 acres on a pond. Coyotes will deafen you every night at dusk. I've seen them run a fawn and catch it, but there's still 40 deer that scatter across the field every time I pull in the gate.
    I'd bet they mostly eat rats and rabbits.

They really aren't that tough to handle. They sound like a grizzly bear, but holding them down isn't much of a task.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I'll let you grab them then...I'll stand back with a beer and a video camera

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    You can trap all you want, you aren't going to rid any property of them.
    New groups will just move right in. I'm not so sure they are that detrimental to start with. I've got 15 acres on a pond. Coyotes will deafen you every night at dusk. I've seen them run a fawn and catch it, but there's still 40 deer that scatter across the field every time I pull in the gate.
    I'd bet they mostly eat rats and rabbits.

They really aren't that tough to handle. They sound like a grizzly bear, but holding them down isn't much of a task.
    Probably right but (1), it is fun and (2) if a lot of folks did it, it probably would help......we aint there yet, but you got to start somewhere.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

That's kinda my thought process. It is catching on very quickly. I never knew anyone that trapped coyotes. Now I know ten. If lots of people are doing it it will help.

Don't forget to trap in order to help turkeys as well. Most guys are into trapping yotes but coons and possums can do a number on turkey nests.
    piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Those of you that are trapping, what sort of success rate are you seeing?

How many acres?
    How many sets?
    How many traps per set?
    How many catches?
    What length of time are you trapping?
    Do you use any methods to estimate coyote population before and after trapping? (track / scat counts, camera surveys, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by MC View Post
    Those of you that are trapping, what sort of success rate are you seeing?

How many acres?
    How many sets?
    How many traps per set?
    How many catches?
    What length of time are you trapping?
    Do you use any methods to estimate coyote population before and after trapping? (track / scat counts, camera surveys, etc.)
    The records I kept were from my permit which ran march through November, but here is what I remember(had to send logs off to DNR). Granted this is a max of 20 sets at a time and each property varied.

One 2000 acre track.
    Fawn counts were extremely low, by that I mean seeing 2 or 3 a year max. We figured a coyote problem. Turkeys had taken a huge dive, so much I didn't hunt it this year, deer and turkeys had been found killed.
    With max 20 trap sets I would set a 7 to 10 day period, then pull them and give it a rest for a while. I think the first week caught 11 bobcats. Since march, we have taken around 25 off the property and 7 yote. Yotes would come through on a 2 to 3 week bases, i would catch 1 or two one night, and see where one or two other sets in the area had been worked and that would be it for a couple weeks. The results were we saw more fawns this year than ever, trail cam pics confirmed it, every member mentioned it. I couldn't remember the last time I saw twin fawns there, saw 4 twins this year. Have seen great poult numbers too, and you could literally fill a pickup truck bed up with rabbits riding the road.

350 acre track
    This was for quail and turkey management mainly.
    I set 5 to 20, leave out for a week or so. The first week would be epic, everything would be caught, about a week later I would get a small influx from surrounding property and catch 2 or 3 more, then it would go dead months. Think the total was around 20 foxes and 6-8 yotes. I have a picture of 7 does with 9 fawns this year(neighbor catching yotes helped too). Saw more jakes this year than ever.

I don't remember the coon and possum count but it was pretty high on both properties.

IMO
    You will never get rid of them and they will keep coming back, BUT if you trap just before the young hit the dirt and give them a chance to make it, you will see a huge benefit every year, but you have to keep trapping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.