Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this fixable?

Default Is this fixable?

Would it actually be seaworthy if so?

Last edited by willyworm; 11-18-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Yes, looks like a 17 Montauk. The right person can make it look like it never existed.

anything is fixable if you have enough money. But it looks like it can be done.

Needs some brakes.. and an airbag.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Hehe, too late for that. Yeah it's a Montauk Dave, but I have no idea what the boat is worth repaired.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Has water made it's way in?
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Marine pro would be my 1st stop if I was to fix that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

If you look closely at the picture you can see where the paint color is faded unevenly around the hole. Almost looks like the fella had a tarp and some duck tape covering it up, but I can't confirm. I have a longtime friend that can do the fiberglass work and repaint/clear the surface here in Sumter, but I have to get it for the right price first.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Surprised it doesn't have a salvaged title if the insurance company paid for the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    If you look closely at the picture you can see where the paint color is faded unevenly around the hole. Almost looks like the fella had a tarp and some duck tape covering it up, but I can't confirm. I have a longtime friend that can do the fiberglass work and repaint/clear the surface here in Sumter, but I have to get it for the right price first.
    I see what you're talking about. I know nothing of the construction of these boats, but if it's had a lot of water intrusion, I'd want to stay away from it, unless you got it for pennies on the dollar. Dave would probably know these boats better than anyone on here.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Maybe they didn't have insurance. Don't know the whole story... What I do know is if I can get it right and fix her up, I can have a sweet ride for not a whole lotta dollars.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What year is the hull, WW? Whaler uses a "closed cell foam" now, meaning it will not absorb water. The discoloration looks like oxidation. If the repair is done right, (matched gelcoat), you should be able to buff it back out. I've seen a Whaler have a big enough "hole" in it, that the insurance company totaled the boat. It was purchased, repaired and makes regular trips to the gulfstream, today. Wouldn't hesitate a bit to pick it up, for the right price.

Quote Originally Posted by mhogancu View Post
    Marine pro would be my 1st stop if I was to fix that.
    Yup

1990 Dave. Yeah, by looking at it I can't tell if it's open cell that will absorb or the closed cell that won't. Prolly can get it for $2000 w/ motor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The hull alone is worth that...

Low Wholesale is $1280
    High Wholesale is $1950
    Retail is $2430

1990 is before my time of working with Whaler but I'm almost positive it's closed cell. I've got an email into my rep, now. I'll let ya know what he says. Does the motor run? If it does and you repaired the hull, it would bring anywhere from 7-9k, easy.

Yeah, got a Yammie that he says runs "like a champ." I don't trust him cause I've never met him, but I'm going to assume he's not lying. I'll see when I go look at it. Thanks Dave. Lemme know what your rep says too.
    Last edited by willyworm; 11-18-2013 at 02:22 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's closed cell....keep me posted. Good luck!

I will. Working on the dollars and cents now, but it's looking good. Gonna be a quick turn project for a profit to fund another ordeal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

Id let it set another week or so and offer him about 1/2 of what he's asking unless the motor itself is worth more than asking price.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Apparently I waited a little too long. Guy said he sold it today. Oh well. The search continues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]