Thread: 11/16 WSMR

Default 11/16 WSMR

My buddy on WSMR saw a bunch of mallards last weekend, so he asked if I wanted to hunt on post today. I figured if nothing else, we might kill some teal and the blue wings and cinnamons are startng to plume out. We had a stout wind this morning and he wanted to set up in the middle of the "lake". When he asked me what I thought, I told him that we ought to set up along an edge to our south with it being so windy, but he said that the birds were piling up in the middle last week so he thought we should stay there. Ok, not my spot, not my call(turns out I was right though). Had a big bunch of widgeon work us for about 5 minutes first thing but wouldn't quite do the deed. After they flew off, I looked over to him and the guy he was sitting with and saw two beaming white faces, plus the guy's beside me. No wonder the birds wouldn't finish. This is when I decided I'd just try to kill the first few birds that I could because there was no way a mallard was going to finish into our setup. Turned out to be a good decision(only saw 3 mallards all morning). I told myself at the start of the year "no spoonies except for drakes to mount". After my skunk last weekend and our setup this morning, that went out the window too. Shot great this morning until we started heading out and the teal were buzzing everywhere and we started pass shooting them. Went 5 for my first 6 shells I think and killed everything I shot at. I really shouldn't have shot at anything else, but they were right on the edge of killing range and I thought I'd try them anyway. 3 spoonies(with a decapatation) and 2 GWT. All together we had 17 birds(1 mallard hen, one widgeon and one gadwall, all others were spoonies and GWT). Little dog picked up 15 of them(2 were killed on the way to the truck). She earned her biscuit his morning. Sorry, no good pictures this morning. It was supposed to rain so I left the camera at home.

Last edited by quackaddict; 11-16-2013 at 01:15 PM.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

that hollywood wont smile at anyone else

No, no she won't.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold