Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Green Egg

Default Big Green Egg

Is it worth it?
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I will never know unless Weber goes out of business. All my hogs are cooked whole, as they should be, on the big grill...

Yes
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Yes, it is worth it so long as you use it.

I had a double decker Holland that could cook 6 hogs at once. Of course you needed 6 kegs also.

I'm interested in the x large egg for general cooking around the house. Boston butts, ribs, steaks, chickens, turkey, '

This post is making my stomach growl.

I think its worth it. Pizza, butts, turkeys, steaks, and anything else you can imagine. Temps are pretty easy to control too.

Go with a large. Unless you consistently entertain large groups of people. Less charcoal and a bit easier to hold low temps at. Either way it's one of the best things you will ever buy. It took me forever to come off my wallet and buy one. I now own two...

IT costs $1950 with a few attachments and accessories.

That is with free charcoal.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    IT costs $1950 with a few attachments and accessories.

That is with free charcoal.
    Call simpsonville Ace. He's a sponsor and can probably figure out a delivery method if you patient and don't need it ASAP.
    Go Tigers!!!

I was at Ace in simpsonville today and they had them priced better than that, site sponsors, and they have a damn fine store too.

I would get one.... Though I do like to waste money on rediclously expensive shit I have omitted coolers and grills from that list of shit.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Where the fuck you getting $1950 from ??

Should be right around $900. $1,000 with a nest. Find a dealer willing to throw in a place setter, grate tool, and some charcoal

Quote Originally Posted by CAMO SNOB View Post
    I was at Ace in simpsonville today and they had them priced better than that, site sponsors, and they have a damn fine store too.

I would get one.... Though I do like to waste money on rediclously expensive shit I have omitted coolers and grills from that list of shit.
    Yetis are trendy...the EGG is legit. And I own both

I think so. Got a good deal on my large in '09 ($675 OTD) but had to drive around my ass to pick it up.

No regrets on buying an egg. It is versatile and you'll have it 30 years from now. If you prefer charcoal I think the price is reasonable for what you get. I use mine at least three times a week.

You don't piss away as much charcoal because it stops burning when you close it up. Maybe not necessarily a huge cost savings, but I find it convenient.

I agree with JAB on the hog cooking, but I cook a shoulder on it a few times a year and it does the trick. But you could cook a great shoulder on a Weber too if you know a few tricks.

When I looked the XL seemed pretty big to me for everday use. But if you've got the mouths to feed or entertain a lot, probably not a bad route.

I also have a Weber, an Old Smokey, and a Cape Fear that I still use a good bit. They have their place.

I'm a grill whore.

Only drawback: sometimes you can get a backdraft opening one that isn't getting a lot of air. Burns every stitch of hair off my damn knuckles.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    Only drawback: sometimes you can get a backdraft opening one that isn't getting a lot of air. Burns every stitch of hair off my damn knuckles.
    you gotta burp it son. you can't shut off the baffles and then open it up. recipe for disaster with any charcoal grill.

I'm well aware of the procedure. It's always an alcohol related incident. So it happens pretty much every time I use it.
    Last edited by billyjack; 11-06-2013 at 07:59 PM.

I bought a large egg with a plate setter,cypress table,cast iron grate,charcoal starter and a bag of charcoal for 1300 last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    I'm well aware of the procedure. It's always an alcohol related incident. So it happens pretty much every time I use it.
    Damn, LOLOUD. Sig worthy. Damn that is funny and the TRUTH and I like your style.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Yes, well worth it. I cook on it more than I ever cooked on my gas grill. The electric firestarter was my last purchase. Ready to cook in less than 15 minutes.

go with the large. XL loses some of the cooking properties of the "egg" . At least thats what the sakesman told me.

wish I had two of them
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

My wife says it's the best purchase I've ever made. Get the XL. Yes, it's a little big for just a steak or two, but you'll be glad you have the extra space when you cook for a crowd or cook enough to eat on for a few days. It will still cook a single ribeye as good as anything you'll find. I've never had trouble regulating the temp with mine.