Thread: "Email Sent to Junk Mail Folder..."

Default "Email Sent to Junk Mail Folder..."

... but when you look in the Junk Mail folder it's not there...???

My wife uses Outlook 2003 on her HP laptop (fairly new... originally her Pavilion dv7, and now on her new HP Envy).

Anyway, I recently reinstalled Win 7 and all the original software on the db7, plus the minimal additional software that she wanted. That was due to a virus of sorts that I was unable to figure out. It also began on the new laptop (the HP Envy) as soon as I had Outlook 2003 installed and configured. I use the same software on my desktop PC and I've never seen this happen there.

Anyway, she's been getting these pop-up notices in Outlook saying an email has been forwarded to the Junk Mail folder and when she opens it, there's nothing new in there.

I've checked the settings and it's set to "Low" so that only the 'worst' junk mail will be forwarded to the folder, along with two email addresses that had been manually added to the list of 'Blocked Senders'.

The 'disappearing' emails are NOT going into the regular 'Deleted' folder, and they are NOT being redirected into any other folders on the file list.

Why would they get automatically deleted (I'm assuming that) if the box for automatic deletion is NOT checked?

Where might they be going to?

I see it as a curious quandary. She gets upset over stuff like this "because it shouldn't be happening".... so help me out here, guys!!!

What should I be checking that I've missed???

Btw, the Avira anti-virus is NOT quarantining any emails... or at least not showing any.

Thanks.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Check for any Rules configured in Outlook. There may be one to permanently delete items in Junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Check for any Rules configured in Outlook. There may be one to permanently delete items in Junk.
    I'll double check them all again, but since I set up the 'Rules' in her file I'm pretty sure there aren't any there.

Her Junk Folder is not empty. It does include mail from two specific addresses that she has manually added to the 'Junk Mail List'. We just can't figure out where these phantom emails go when she gets the pop-up notice.
    ~ George Washington

All 'Rules' and 'View' settings triple-checked and nothing can explain the disappearing emails.
    ~ George Washington

In outlook, navigate to “Tools->Options->Other->Advanced Options->Add-ins Manager…” and uncheck the Avira add-in.

Or, go to Run and try this --> outlook.exe /safe

You could also try outlook.exe /cleanrules. <-- NOTE: this will remove all existing rules.

However, it sounds like you have an add-in or plugin that's deleting your junk email.
    Last edited by XHailGC; 11-05-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Will check it out and let you know.

Thanks!
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    In outlook, navigate to “Tools->Options->Other->Advanced Options->Add-ins Manager…” and uncheck the Avira add-in.

Or, go to Run and try this --> outlook.exe /safe

You could also try outlook.exe /cleanrules. <-- NOTE: this will remove all existing rules.

However, it sounds like you have an add-in or plugin that's deleting your junk email.
    No Avira add-in installed on Outlook (2003). The only one listed, and checked, is "Exchange Extensions property pages", which I unchecked since she doesn't interact with MS Exchange that I know of. Will see if it affects anything.

Did run it in 'safe' mode, but she'd have to run it that way all the time to see if it 'fixed' it.

I also double checked all the Advance Find, etc, etc, Search views, etc, etc, and can't find anything wrong or any hidden files.

Did a Google search for the problem and didn't really come up with anything applicable other than the above.

Beats me... just another Bill Gates & Company screw-up, I guess.
    ~ George Washington

Is she using IMAP?

No, all Pop3 accounts.
    ~ George Washington