Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pirogues

I'm not talking about 2' waves, I just mean shallow water with a 15-20mph wind kind of chop. I guess mainly what I'm asking, is how stable are these things in anything other than slick water?
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

You will get wet. One way or another.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

These are slick water boats. In a 20 mph wind a pirogue will try to catch the wind and blow like a feather across the water. If someone needs "freeboard". a pirogue ain't it......put me on a mud flat with a push pole and she shines!

For solo hunting I use a Chapman Copperhead. It's a tad longer and only 22 inches at the chine but she skates in mud. Nitro is right, the most versatile boat is the Cottonmouth.

If you want to see what some folks can do in a pirogue take a look at these 1925 Cypress Loggers. These are mostly round bottom p'rawgs. Can't imagine handling an axe or a crosscut saw out of one but it's all how you were raised.

Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

people from that day in age were BAMF's pretty much wherever they were from. I think after that generation, the number of real men started declining. them boys weren't scared of work
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

That was a fantastic video!!! I stand in my pirogue all day to push pole, fish, and can even stand and shoot. I think the saw wouldnt be too hard to use, but I couldn't imagine swinging an axe from a pirogue with enough force to really do work. I guess it's one of those things that if you grew up doing it then it would be no big deal.

It'll be cool to watch Evan progress in the pirogues. He's been in one since the age of five for fishing and duck hunting. At 10 years old and 115lbs he's still small enough now that its no big deal getting up and walking from front to back. I've got pics of him paddling one while sitting on top of a 50qt cooler in Guana and its rock solid stable. He should be very capable in one by the time he's 20!

And a funny one!!

Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

That second one is awesome.

That picture is awesome. I am always excited to read your/Evan's adventures, y'all certainly live life to the fullest.
    cut\'em

Thanks for sharing!

looking at your pics. Several of them look like they have no rocker (slightly curved up bow and stern). If that is true. Which do you like better, flat or with some rocker. Thinking about building one or two and trying to decide which way to go.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

I have three Chapman's..... I wouldn't trade em for the world!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I remember a few of those hunts!!! Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    looking at your pics. Several of them look like they have no rocker (slightly curved up bow and stern). If that is true. Which do you like better, flat or with some rocker. Thinking about building one or two and trying to decide which way to go.
    Nope, they're flat. The ones I built did have some rocker to them but I didn't notice that it made it any better. Personally, I enjoyed building the couple I did but if I had to do it over again I would just buy them from Ron Chapman Shipwright. The ones I built were glass over wood. They were great for a few years but eventually started to take on a little water here and there and once the wood got wet then they were quickly on the way out. A Chapman will run you about $400 but Ive had mine since 2003 and they're still going strong!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Anyone have a canebrake?

I don't have one, but have hunted with someone who did. My boy Robbie LeBouef that I used to hunt with in New Orleans bought one. He's about 175lbs and used it to get from wherever he parked the mud boat back to the blind. It got used about a dozen times and is now only used to hold crawfish when he has boils. It's just too small. The shorter a boat is the more trouble it is to keep the boat going in a straight line. This contributes to the boat being much slower and less useful for covering any distance.

I have two Ron Chapman Cottonmouths and a Campagna 14'. Ive carried two grown adults in the Cottonmouths but will only do it in very shallow water as you have ZERO freeboard. The Campagna has a higher carrying capacity and can handle two adults much easier but doesn't have the shallow water capability of my Chapmans. The Chapmans have a smooth glass finish and a completely flat bottom that will allow it to slide over pluff mud flats even when there is no water one them. I wish I had video of me in Alaska using a Chapman on the snow!! I could cover ground quickly in soft snow by standing and push poling across the snow flats to access ponds. The snow was too soft to stand on without punching through but the pirogue allowed me to float right across.

My Campagna's finish is a little more rough and it has a molded in keel. The keel keeps it tracking nicely in open water paddling situations but hinders the ability of the boat to be manuevered on flat mud.

Both are very capable hulls and have their advantages and disadvantages that allow me to choose whichever one suits my needs.

So for a beginner pirouge boat owners what is a good one? One person and a few decoys to carry in or throw in the wareagle? I have used kayaks and canoes a bunch, just dont know anyone with a true pirouge to get some first hand experience
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

I would go with the Ron Chapman Cottonmouth. It's my favorite boat that they make. I've got a friend with a Mud Bug that he uses a trolling motor on and he loves it. I paddled it and it does paddle well but the advantage of a pirogue is light weight and simplicity. If you want a trolling motor powered boat I'd stick with something like a Creek Boat.

He's a big boy and he had no trouble standing in my pirogue by the end of the first day. Lots of folks will tell you that they aren't stable, but that depends more on your ability and less on the boat!

Hey I made it in two of those pictures. Alright!
    \"The truly brave bull gives no warning before he charges, except the fixing of his eye on his enemy.\" Hemingway

Your boat made it into one of them as well! The famous widgeon hunt from the dock field where you called in those widgeon by squeeling on a mallard call for as long and hard as you could was the first pic I posted! I've got a good number more from our adventures as well if you ever need them. I've got both fishing and hunting pics of us.

O'yeah almost forgot about that Arkansas High Ball come back call. I still have the two cork decoys I traded for that Red Head. That pic in the storage shed brings back memories. How about the ones of us mastering the sling shot. With that being said check out the Sling Shot Channel on You Tube dude has some serious sling shots!
    \"The truly brave bull gives no warning before he charges, except the fixing of his eye on his enemy.\" Hemingway

Cottonmouth pirogue--Love at first sight.I had a 65' shrimp boat that was less stable! Had them in swamps from Texas to SC.Best times ever!!!!!